Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 11:49am
A total of 12 people were arrested in dawn raids across Wirral as part of an 18-month investigation into organised crime and drug supply.

SOURCE
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 12:32pm
what a shame...my heart bleeds for them..

wonder if the stabbing in Wallasey was linked?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 3:57pm
Unfortunately, a crackdown on drugs means an increase in their price, which will be followed by a rise in crime as addicts seek more funds.

High time we abandoned these ineffective restrictive laws and tried the Swiss approach. It may be cheaper and more humane and cuts down on policing, but at least it works!
Posted By: starakita Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 4:32pm
One of the raids was in our road
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 4:34pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
High time we abandoned these ineffective restrictive laws and tried the Swiss approach. It may be cheaper and more humane and cuts down on policing, but at least it works!

The same system we have been using for nearly 100 years - didn't work very well did it? Its certainly not achieved anything in Switzerland either.

Perhaps when they start looking at the cost to the community and not the cost to Government they will come up with a scheme that actually achieves something.

Removing a crime from the lawbooks doesn't solve crime problems.
Posted By: casper Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 5:38pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

The same system we have been using for nearly 100 years - didn't work very well did it? Its certainly not achieved anything in Switzerland either.

Perhaps when they start looking at the cost to the community and not the cost to Government they will come up with a scheme that actually achieves something.

Removing a crime from the lawbooks doesn't solve crime problems.

Quite true DD, however it removes the statistics for that particular offence, look at the all encompassing ASBO, how many crimes does that title hide? all neatly packaged in one box, hey ho crime figures reduced all is well.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 5:49pm
Originally Posted by casper
....however it removes the statistics for that particular offence ....

In Switzerland its even more nefarious than that, the statistics for narcotics offences has plummeted for females but not so much for males!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 7:28pm
Not very strong on history are we on this topic. In fact, up to the late 1950s or early 1960s, there were no legal problems with doctors prescribing heroin on the NHS. The result was NO pushers and the number of addicts was tiny. Many of them - as is the case in Switzerland where free drugs are prescribed, and 'shooting galleries' provided - were able to maintain jobs and families.

Criminalising possession of drugs was tantamount to putting up a sign inviting criminals to make a fortune by supplying it, criminalising the existing addicts, and generating an enormous crime wave as the addicts attempted to supply themselves with the stuff. It also ushered in deaths and disease from sharing needles and encouraged peddlers to hand out free samples to children in order to generate new sales opportunities. Across the world, vast sums have been spent on trying to restrict supplies and it has been, uniformly, an utter disaster.

Why our government aped the Americans in criminalising it I shall never fully understand. However, slowly views are changing. You even get prominent policemen advocating decriminalisation now as well as a few courageous politicians.

Unfortunately, we still have a press that rejoices in promoting a vengeful campaign against addicts based on a mean-spirited attitude of 'they deserve to suffer' and 'why should we pay for their drugs'. This appeals very strongly to the plain thick.

It will take time for wiser counsels to prevail, but at least there is now movement.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 8:21pm
Not very strong on history are we on this topic. In fact, up to the late 1950s or early 1960s, there were no legal problems with doctors prescribing heroin on the NHS.

Britain still has that service, in fact Switzerland copied our mistakes as did other countries like Holland who found out how disastrous it was and are still recovering from the problems it caused. Before it was related to Switzerland it was known as "The British System" by most of the world.

Switzerland, like ourselves have not decriminalised possession of drugs, they had a short spell of attempting this in a specific location and it was a disaster that became known as "needle park" and had to be shut down.

Needle handouts and exchange systems have been in force for many years, addiction treatment likewise. It hasn't worked, at some point you need to protect society from the effects of drugs. A huge amount of crime and ASB is drug related, probably above 80%, its time a bottomless pit was created to remove this problem.

The number of Swiss males prosecuted for narcotics has gone up since the 1990s, that doesn't sound like a successful program especially if it has supposedly been "decriminalised".

If you want to know how drugs became rampant so quickly in the UK you need to look at Thatcher's plan for Liverpool that was assisted by America, the idea of helping Liverpool implode went hugely wrong as the drug problem soon spread across the rest of the country.

How is your history and current knowledge on the subject?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 9:33pm
1. British doctors cannot prescribe heroin.

2. Needle exchanges were opposed for ages, particularly in Edinburgh (we don't want to encourage addicts!) leading to a massive AIDS problem there until people wised up.

3. As drugs were only decriminalised in Switzerland in 2013, I am not at all surprised to find a massive increase in in convictions since the 1990s. (Not that 'convictions' is a very good measure of the number of addicts)

4. Possession of drugs was made a criminal offence in 1964 by the UK government under pressure from the USA, who evidently had learned nothing from their attempt to prohibit alcohol.

5. Switzerland's current policy is for addicts to receive free drugs, provided for them by the state in centres (shooting galleries). The idea was to remove the chaos from their lives allowing them to rejoin society. Many have managed to do this. It was piloted in Zurich and later adopted nationwide, although the vast majority of addicts are in Zurich. It is still illegal to sell drugs, but there ARE no sellers as addicts receive the drugs free. (They are not expensive, by the way.)

My history and knowledge of the subject are excellent thank you.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 22nd Sep 2017 11:45pm
British doctors can and do prescribe heroin. GPs require special approval however there are clinics which are authorised. Heroin is even supplied for home use, not just administered within clinics.

Switzerland narcotics possession:-

2011 4,710
2012 5,734
2013 6,087
2014 6,314
2015 6,545

The figures have gone up even after 2013!

Switzerland heroin seizures:-

2010 259.9kg
2012 162kg
2014 267kg

Switzerland cannabis seizures:-

2010 2,069kg
2012 2,170kg
2014 3,434kg

That is a lot of seizures for somewhere that has decriminalisation and has "no sellers".

It is not working, it wasn't the Rolleston report that controlled Britain's drug problems for over 40 years it was the availability, social and economic factors that controlled them.

Any system that increases the number of addicts cannot be called a success, its a dismal failure. The greater majority of parents do not want the opportunity for their kids to obtain drugs, you are not killing the market by treating addicts, you are still creating a market of non-addicts who will become addicts.

Another bit of strange information is that GP's only register about 50% of their addicts, there is no obligation for them to do so.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 9:47am
Convictions are not a good indicator of the quantity of drugs swilling about.

In fact, they can be an indication that decriminalisation is working. One of the effects of decriminalisation is to remove the glamour from the activity, meaning that young people are not attracted to it, and the public is more likely to report drug-related activity.

There is also the fact that police chiefs who previously deliberately didn't crack down on drugs for fear of escalating the cost and causing a crime wave, realise that free availability limits the cost and they can no go ahead and pursue illegal drugs more enthusiastically.

In my opinion, the availability of drugs for addicts provided by the state is by far the best way of limiting its use. It is also a lot more humane. The stuff is not adulterated or contaminated and the addicts can be kept healthy and encouraged to lead a normal law abiding life. The only thing this policy lacks is the element of sanctimonious vengeance so beloved of the tabloids and their slack-jawed readers.
Posted By: cools Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 9:58am
Well surprisingly this is one thing I can agree with you Ex.. I've thought this for a long time give the addicts the drugs because they're going to get them one way or another , usually at the cost of innocent victims.Of course still campaign in the schools etc to try and stop kids getting hooked but it would stop alot of these drug rings and misery being caused by violent drug lords. I know people say these horrible people would find something else but something different got to be tried because it ain't working now...
Posted By: Dilly Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 10:16am
Yes give them their free drugs.

But only in overdose's.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 6:11pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
what a shame...my heart bleeds for them..

wonder if the stabbing in Wallasey was linked?

Highly doubt it fish.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 6:30pm
You wouldn't prescribe alcohol to alcoholics.
Food to the obese
Tobacco to cancer patients, so why should drugs be prescribed to junkies ?
Posted By: cools Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 6:55pm
I heard that Alcoholics get an extra benefit towards this Dilly sounds daft I know but I'm sure it's true. It just seems to me that the druggies seem to be the worst problem with their addiction driving them to do such horrible things, mugging people usually vunerable sick or old folk. I just hate to see these drug pushers driving round in flash cars etc feeding off the misery of drug taking. To me instead of destroying drugs give it to them and to hell with it, as I say they're going to get it whatever.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 9:28pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
Yes give them their free drugs.

But only in overdose's.

This is typical of the tabloid's attitude. It satisfies a crudely vengeful response which (presumably) makes some people feel good, but is basically advocating murder. Are you happy to murder addicts Dilly? Because that is what you are proposing.

In fact, Heroin is dirt cheap to produce, and the cost of supplying it to addicts is a tiny percentage of the money spent on totally ineffective 'drugs wars'. Also, doing so cuts out peddlers who often generate addicts with 'free samples', and it allows addicts to become law-abiding members of society. This is good for them, Dilly, which you seem to find offensive, but it is also good for YOU because it makes it far less likely that your posh new telly or car will be nicked to supply someone's addiction.

Fortunately, times they are a-changin' and even politicians now occasionally suggest that decriminalisation is the way to go. In a few years we may well have a humane and effective policy on drugs.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 10:16pm
I don't know where you live Ex, maybe you are priveliged to live where you have not been effected by having you home broken into and things you have worked for taken by the stinking low life you so much want to protect. I have experienced living in areas where this is a hazard of of going out to work. I have had my property stolen by the filth that think it is right for them to take it. It is their choice to take drugs and that does not give them the right to take other people's property. Sorry if what I said offends you but that is the way they have made me feel.
Posted By: granny Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 23rd Sep 2017 11:21pm
What would decriminalization do ? It wouldn't stop the use of the majority of drugs, just simply lead to greater use.
There's more than heroin out there.
I would suggest that the majority of cocaine users come from the cities, London in particular. Where the money is good and those in positions of authority are as guilty as the chap on benefits. These young politicians ( and some old) many have dabbled at some time or another, by their own admittance.
No wonder there are those in high places who wish it to be decriminalized, there is no doubt a fair few amongst them who break the law themselves, including those who enforce the law but frequent posh pubs in London and indulge in their sad lifestyle.
Who was that Labour MP, supposedly a man of stature who chaired the Home Affairs Select Committee ? Caught out !
The sad fact is that decriminalization will only result in greater use by those who can least afford it, and subject people to the nasty behaviour that some drugs induce in people.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 24th Sep 2017 5:01pm
Just parallel other drugs to alcohol which has loads of underage drinking, crime and health problems associated with it despite being "decriminalised".

The entertainment industry don't help, barely a non-fiction programme goes by without people necking alcohol.

I'm not a prohibitionist but the British just can't cope with these sort of things.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Twelve Wirral Drug Arrests - 25th Sep 2017 3:51am
Back to the original topic, a total of 17 were arrested and fourteen have been charged and appeared in court ....

Michael Anderson, 63, of Bracken Lane, Higher Bebington, Wirral - between 1/11/16 and 05/02/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely MDMA, and between 1/04/12 and 22/09/17 converted criminal property.

Steven McEntee, 32, of Hillside Road, Tranmere, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely cocaine and between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class B drugs namely amphetamine.

Colin O’Gorman, 38, of Highfield Crescent, Rock Ferry, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely cocaine and between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class B namely amphetamine and between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class B drugs namely cannabis.

Ian Birchall, 34, of Gothic Street, Rock Ferry, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely cocaine and between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class B namely amphetamine.

James Irwin, 30, of Highfield Road, Rock Ferry, Wirral - between 1/11/16 and 05/02/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely MDMA.

Gary Jones, 41, of Prentice Road, Rock Ferry, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely cocaine and between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class B namely amphetamine.

Steven Laidlaw, 35, of Oriel Road, Tranmere, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A namely cocaine, conspired to supply Class B drugs (amphetamine) and between 1/11/16 and 05/02/17conspired to supply Class A MDMA.

Steven Clarke, 56, of Westbourne Road, Prenton, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A namely cocaine and between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class B namely amphetamine.

Christopher Jones, 34, of Charlwood Close, Prenton, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely cocaine and Class B drugs namely amphetamine, and between 1/11/16 and 05/02/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely MDMA.

David Kavanagh, 34, of Shore Drive, New Ferry, Wirral - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs namely cocaine and between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class B drugs namely amphetamine.

Dwight Jones, 32, of Durweston Walk, Bristol - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply class A drugs (cocaine) and Class B drugs (amphetamine). Also charged with possession with intent supply Class B drugs (cannabis).

Kurtis Jones, 34, of Stonechat Gardens, Bristol - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply Class A drugs (cocaine) and Class B drugs (amphetamine).

Dylan Bowen, 22, of Franklins Croft, Wolverton, Milton Keynes - between 31/03/16 and 22/09/17 conspired to supply class B drugs (amphetamine).

Peter Jones, 51, of HMP Dovegate - between 1/11/16 and 05/02/17 conspired to supply Class A namely MDMA.

SOURCE
© Wirral-Wikiwirral