Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Wirral News Group - Closure - 9th Jul 2017 6:47pm
Trinity Mirror are shutting down the Wirral News Group this month, stating that there is too much competition for too thin a market.

I've noted a rash of up-market free magazines etc have been capturing the higher end of the market.

All-in-all this is probably for the best as it will hopefully stabilise one free newspaper (The Wirral Globe) which may be able to get better coverage as a result.

The shame is that the Wirral News is the older and more traditional newspaper for the Wirral in its various incarnations (Birkenhead News etc) but hopefully their archive is in the Wirral Archive Service now.

Their website has already closed down, I don't know which is their final printed edition.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Wirral News Group - Closure - 9th Jul 2017 7:54pm
Its trinity from oldham so not much sympathy . Look at what they have done to the echo . A tardy celebrity gossip rag now.
Posted By: boblundell Re: Wirral News Group - Closure - 9th Jul 2017 8:35pm
Trinity Mirror is the largest regional newspaper group in the country, based in London. Whereas the Globe is owned by Newsquest, which is the second largest regional newspaper group in the UK and is itself owned by Gannett, which is the largest newspaper owner in the U.S.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral News Group - Closure - 9th Jul 2017 11:32pm
Oh dear that's a couple of friends out of a job..they delivered them. I packed the Globe deliveries in after 15 years+ and not even a thank you from them.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Wirral News Group - Closure - 10th Jul 2017 7:44am
The final printed edition of the Wirral News was last Wed 5th July, as a consolation there was a bunch of vouchers for 25p off this weeks Echo.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral News Group - Closure - 10th Jul 2017 7:56am
Thanks @daveybm thumbsup
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral News Group - Closure - 10th Jul 2017 10:09am

It's a shame, as I preferred the News to the Globe, as the Globe mainly concentrates on Birkenhead and all the doom and gloom.
I doubt the Globe will be interested in other areas, unless they are prepared to double the size of the newspaper.
Posted By: boblundell Re: Wirral News Group - Closure - 10th Jul 2017 12:17pm
Gannett won't be doubling the size because there isn't the advertising to pay for it, gone mainly to google and facebook. Most local newspapers have been in decline for years with successive cuts in staff numbers to keep the companies in profit. Rupert Murdoch once said classified ads were a river of gold for newspapers but that income source is substantially gone and whilst there is the occasional success story the industry as a whole has not yet worked out a new way to be profitable.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral