Forums
Posted By: granny No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 1st Mar 2017 3:20pm

Wall collapsed. No trains for several days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-39124787
Posted By: Greenwood Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 1st Mar 2017 5:13pm
OUCH. I wonder if whoever overloaded the area by the wall with heavy containers will be prosecuted? I know the wall's been there a long time, and the very wet weather aggravated the situation, but putting so much heavy stuff so close to the edge is asking for trouble, I'd think.
Posted By: j_demo Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 1st Mar 2017 6:23pm
It stands to reason that the heavy load was more probable than not to be to blame. Somebody is going to be getting a hefty bill from merseytravel anyway
Posted By: fish5133 Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 1st Mar 2017 6:51pm
Wall had a palisade fence on it quite possible storm doris blowing on the railings have weakened the wall. The angle the containers are at could have funnelled the wind.
Looks like a bit of illegal fridge dumping as well. Thankfully no train involved.
Think its a wall built up off the natural sandstone bedrock. Major operation at least one or two rails out of commission for weeks imo. Edge Hill and Liverpool Parkway will be busy
Posted By: granny Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 1st Mar 2017 8:48pm
Mention on news this evening that they have found tunnels underneath. That man Williamson again ??? or the Mersey link shocked
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 1st Mar 2017 11:01pm

Description: .
Attached picture W.Tunnels Collapse (Copy).jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 1st Mar 2017 11:04pm
boohoo Travelling to London on Saturday- via replacement bus to Runcorn first. Fun!

Thankful that nobody was killed or injured though.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 2nd Mar 2017 10:12am
Couple of map links. Just look at the crap on the streets there:

Google Streetview

And a Bing birds eye view:

https://binged.it/2lgiAHD
Posted By: fish5133 Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 2nd Mar 2017 11:06am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Couple of map links. Just look at the crap on the streets there:

Google Streetview

And a Bing birds eye view:

https://binged.it/2lgiAHD

Hope your not referring to the Police Station on the other side of the collapse.

Looks like fly tippers paradise.

Structural Engineers and Rail bosses will be having a few talks to decide best course of action. Rest of the wall will need to be checked, do they look at a whole new design of wall while line shut, temporary support protection to allow 2 lines to remain. Time, money safety...love to be a fly on the wall.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 2nd Mar 2017 1:29pm
It does highly the vulnerability of the line though - one single route into the city.

I'm surprised there's no contingency emergency plan to use South Parkway as an alternative.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 2nd Mar 2017 6:20pm
It does highly the vulnerability of the line though - one single route into the city.

I'm surprised there's no contingency emergency plan to use South Parkway as an alternative.

Any room at Edge Hill?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 2nd Mar 2017 6:36pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
OUCH. I wonder if whoever overloaded the area by the wall with heavy containers will be prosecuted? I know the wall's been there a long time, and the very wet weather aggravated the situation, but putting so much heavy stuff so close to the edge is asking for trouble, I'd think.

The weight of the dense soil (especially when wet) behind the wall is enormously greater than a few containers (mostly air) and few bits of concrete.

Posted By: Gibbo Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 3rd Mar 2017 10:06am
Originally Posted by Wally1

Any room at Edge Hill?

Good point - yes. Loads of tracks and space for platforms
Posted By: Wally1 Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 3rd Mar 2017 2:41pm
Originally Posted by Wally1

Any room at Edge Hill?

Good point - yes. Loads of tracks and space for platforms

I hear they are using it now for some Northern Trains.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 8th Mar 2017 1:16am
Lime St Station is reopening - line cleared se:-

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-lime-street-station-trains-12705320
Posted By: Gibbo Re: No Trains from Liverpool Limestreet. - 8th Mar 2017 11:51am
I wonder if they'll now take more notice of all land which backs onto the cutting?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral