Forums
Posted By: granny Doris is on her way - 22nd Feb 2017 8:43pm

Storm Doris is on her way. Northwest likely to get a battering as the storm will be severe as it enters Liverpool Bay tomorrow morning.

Hold onto your hats.
Posted By: venice Re: Doris is on her way - 22nd Feb 2017 8:53pm
The wind arrows on the weather maps were the closest and most intense Ive seen them in a long time . Good job the tides are going to be low.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 3:05am
They have upgraded the warning to 80mph winds for this area with associated damage and potential for power cuts.

I don't think it is going to hit us quite that hard inland but I'm glad I don't live on New Brighton seafront.

Will be leaving my bedroom windows open tonight as usual, its nice to see horizontal curtains occasionally.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 8:27am
Winds picking up now,I think it will soon blow over, Ive just come off the M53 and noticed a few high sided wagons leaning struggling to stay in lane, careful out there!!
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 8:50am
Decided to cancel my plans for today so now still in bed and enjoying a rest. Normally I am up at 6am to mind grandchildren or to go for an early swim or day out.

I feel sorry for the Circus people at The Dips New Brighton as no doubt the weather might put parents off today going to performances.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 8:50am
Sounds deceptive through double glazing.. First job of the day...smash out damaged fence panel,(wind may have done that bit for me)cut down small tree, cut new 6x5 fence panel to size and slot in posts....which I don't think is very wise thing..might end up half way down the Wirral.
Plan B fit couple new tap glands
Posted By: granny Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 9:34am

I love a busy man. laugh

On 2nd cuppa now, and watching the trees swaying and bending all over the place. I don't like this weather, it frightens me a lot.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 10:36am
Best get your thermals out Granny smile
Posted By: Salmon Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 10:49am
They canceled today's circus performance yesterday, very sensible.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 11:19am
New Brighton station closed until further notice.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 12:23pm
My back garden fence has had it. Urban Farm at Bidston closed today too, some trees down. Halsalls solicitors window blown in, in Greasby - hope they get it boarded up before the end of the day or someone will have to camp in there! This is a rough one. Seriously, Doris, you've made your point... enough, already!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 12:45pm
A wall has collapsed onto cars in a car park on Cleveland Street. Amazing pictures online.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 12:49pm
http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/incoming/m56-closed-between-j12-j14-12646023
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 1:26pm
Large solar panel came off West Kirby Concourse and went through window of a car.
Posted By: kittykat Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 1:43pm
Travelled up from London this morning in a fairly high sided vehicle in this treacherous weather. Various incidents, accidents and diversions along the way. Conscious decision was made to avoid the A41 which is a route of choice but when the closed the m6 between 19-20 there was no choice. We were getting hit a fair bit by debris even on the motorway but on the A41 we were two cars behind a very damaged car hit by a huge tree when a five foot branch hit the top of the windscreen. Very scary indeed when you're actually looking at a fallen tree. I had tears in my eyes just from the fright. Thankfully it was only a few inches thick but lucky not to smash the screen I think especially as there was already a 12 inch crack in it from one of the other bits of debris.

Thankful to be home now eek
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 1:44pm
Look at many photos on Wirral Globe website. Think it worst damage and disruption in years. My fence panels are down but it could have been worse.
Posted By: granny Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 2:04pm

More pics on here:

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2017-02-23/storm-doris-your-pictures/
Posted By: keef666 Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 2:12pm
Well had a phone call from my boss, saying don't go in to work this afternoon as the place is closed due to the roof being blown off, i hope i still get paid though!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 2:17pm
The Cleveland Street one looks bad, poor construction lacking adequate wall ties on a large wall.

Its the pay and display car park outside Collins Steel by the Treasury Building.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: starakita Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 3:27pm
I've been out in it today in the car,only up to my sisters to feed her cat & let him out.hope her & the family will be ok,they're travelling back from Harrogate,my nephew had his passing out parade this morning.I'ts been so bad I havn't took the dog out yet but it's looking a bit brighter now & the wind seems to have calmed down a bit
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 5:53pm
Most debris ive seen from storm. Lucky that wall didn't kill someone. Plenty of firewood 2 full Trees on verge down by Asda Woodchurch , Tree down blocking whalley lane has been cleared, lots of large branches everywhere ..lets hope no one seriously hurt Glad you got back Kitty Kat.
Already had one customer phone up to come and put back his fence panels. Thank you Doris and goodbye.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 8:07pm
Parked outside a shop today, tile came off roof and smashed my panoramic sunroof, then you find out it's classified as "Act of God", claim on your car insurance pay your excess and a higher premium next year, lovely. Seeing those cars in Cleveland Street, how will they get on?
Posted By: granny Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 8:36pm

I'd dispute that Loco. It's a bit outdated now, considering this country is supposed to be secular.

Must come under the 'miss-representation' laws.
Posted By: venice Re: Doris is on her way - 23rd Feb 2017 9:00pm
Loco - does the rest of the roof look in good nick? If its not in good condition then it could be negligence on the shops part maybe - and in any case they should have third party .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Doris is on her way - 24th Feb 2017 12:09am
I'd also dispute it loco, tiles falling off the roof are generally the liability of the owner, act of god may only apply if the wind was exceptionally high, the wind we had today would normally be expected to happen a number of times in a ten year period and so are not exceptional when compared to the lifetime of a roof.

If you claim on your own vehicle insurance (which is the normal procedure) then they in turn should claim from the shop and you should not be penalised.

It is not uncommon for slates to tear off buildings in high winds and damage other properties or vehicles. In the latter case, the car owner’s insurer is likely to pay initially, and then pursue the insurer of the person who owned the roof from which the tiles came. Here, the roof owner’s insurer should pay out without quibble under the third-party liability element of the buildings cover.

If your vehicle insurers choose not pursue the claim then complain through the insurance ombudsman (Finance Ombudsman) procedure.

SOURCE
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Doris is on her way - 24th Feb 2017 8:34pm
Storm Damage is not an "act of God" ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Doris is on her way - 24th Feb 2017 10:46pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Storm Damage is not an "act of God" ?

Some solicitors say it is and some say its not, and that is how solicitors get rich.

The England/Wales legal Tort (ie non-contractual) definition makes it just about impossible for anything to be an act of God by the line "which could not have been prevented by any amount of foresight, plans, and care."

Using "any amount" instead of the usual "reasonable" in the definition makes it pretty absolute that nothing can be an act of God.

An act of God is an unforeseeable natural phenomenon. Explained by Lord Hobhouse in Transco plc v Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council as describing an event;

(i) which involve no human agency
(ii) which is not realistically possible to guard against
(iii) which is due directly and exclusively to natural causes and
(iv) which could not have been prevented by any amount of foresight, plans, and care.
Posted By: venice Re: Doris is on her way - 25th Feb 2017 3:23pm
So that means if fish claimed on his OWN insurance - its refused as an act of God on the grounds that it complies as far as fish is concerned , with all rules (i)-(iv) ? (ie the roof wasnt his to be able to do anything about.)

but NOT an act of God if the shopkeeper calls on his own insurance because HE, COULD realistically have guarded against it (ii)--by a large amount of forsight planning and care (iv) ? Does that mean the only course for fish is to sue the shopkeeper?

That means the insurers cant lose !!! Oh yeah, I forgot, they rarely do!

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Doris is on her way - 25th Feb 2017 6:06pm
Insurance is a contract and so is not governed by TORT, insurance companies can make up their own rules by writing them into the contract/policy, their definition of "act of God" does not have to be the same as the TORT one.

Third party liability on insurance is usually less strict than a self-claim but its still whatever is in the insurance rules.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral