Forums
Posted By: oldpm01 On-street parking charges dropped - 15th Feb 2017 9:10am
Wirral Council dropping on-street parking charges and reducing proposed charges for car parks.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...parking_charge_plan_as_idea_is_scrapped/
Posted By: granny Re: On-street parking charges dropped - 15th Feb 2017 10:40am
Good news in one way.

I bet now that there's more clearance to increase the council tax up to 5%, that will be their answer to a problem. Not due to the good nature or the good management of the council.
Still going to charge at country parks ? Not so good. Big grin all around because they are reducing it. frown
Posted By: granny Re: On-street parking charges dropped - 15th Feb 2017 11:04am
The above report in the Warrington Gazette (why) clearly makes the most of the responses of local business people, traders and dog wwalkers etc , and Wirral council have listened to what the people of Wirral have said, according to the report:

Council leader Phil Davies said: "Council officers put forward these proposals in good faith, trying to help close our £45 million funding gap for next year, but it is clear from the feedback we have had from residents and businesses that these proposals would do more harm than good.

Now wouldn't you have thought they could have reasoned that out originally ? Another game maybe. Put forward the plan, knowing the initial proposal would be rejected by the public, then dilute it to parks only and they get what they wanted in the first place,... just a load of eye wash on the first round.

I can't see revenue from those places being anywhere near the money they were hoping to raise, according to their previous calculations. Can't remember where they were (on here somewhere I think) So a feeble amount raised against the amount they originally spoke about. That's why I think it's all been a gimmick.

Exactly what builders do when putting forward their planning applications for meeting the criteria for affordable homes. Go for the most grotesque plan, have it knocked back and then follow up with something very near the plan they had in mind in the first place. Which in that case is nowhere near the affordable homes market for first time buyers.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: On-street parking charges dropped - 15th Feb 2017 1:10pm
Councils make proposals like that because its a win-win for them whatever the outcome, whilst the Councils can be seen to be accountable (to a point), there is no retribution for misbehaviour.
Posted By: Near_Oval Re: On-street parking charges dropped - 17th Feb 2017 7:35am
I agree with the view that it was a con from the outset, publicise a draconian change to the status quo, then appear to back pedal if sufficient outrage, with the concessionary stance achieving your initial aims.
So we still get to 'enjoy' increased charges at current sites, introduce (albeit at a lesser rate) the practice of charging at country park and similar sites, leaving the door open to increase charges at a later date at those new sites to meet your original objectives.

Unless of course sufficient bad press is generated by the reduced proposals - but majority will see as a victory agains the original proposals, so any further suggestion of protest would likely be met with general apathy.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: On-street parking charges dropped - 17th Feb 2017 10:54am
Nice headline but the facts didn't justify it. From £4 to £2 a day in country parks etc etc. Just a media game the council playing giving the illusion of listening and as you say achieving their "actual" intended purpose.
Is it Crisis Reaction Solution.. Create the crisis, wait for the reaction come up with the predetermined solution.

The proof of the pudding will still be down to numbers...who will pay those prices.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral