Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 12th Oct 2016 10:39pm
An emotive subject but don't think its one our council should be bothered about. By all means don't buy the paper if you don't want to.
Wirral council want to join campaign to stop retailers selling it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 12th Oct 2016 11:17pm
Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.

Wirral Council who have a record of doing all sorts of bad things are going way beyond their remit. They should spend time getting their own house in order first!
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 7:57am
Emotive indeed - but pretty sure that is not within the Council's remit to ban a newspaper - what ever your views we do have freedom of speech and this sounds a bit like censorship.

Maybe they should focus their resources on what the council should do: getting children's services right, fixing potholes etc etc etc
Posted By: casper Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 8:16am
Spot on DD, I am not a footie fan, but have never bought the sun before or since Hillsborough,it was a disgusting attack not just on football fans but on the honesty and integrity of Merseysiders as a whole, the same as gotcha the sinking of the Belgrano, but yes WBC needs to take a good deep look at itself first.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 10:25am

Pretty ridiculous , hey? Neither have I ever bought the Sun but that was my choice and nothing to do with Hillsborough. No one should ever be allowed to dictate choice by deliberately removing something . It would be pure and simple bullying as there is no law to justify such a campaign.

This move indicates that they are now being manipulated by Liverpool Council, and I would consider that to be a very serious problem arsing.

sept 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-shops-to-stop-selling-the-sun-newspaper

There is so much 'hate' that flows out of Liverpool. Unless they use this hate to mark another score on their blackboard, they are never happy.

I hope Wirral isn't going the same way. It will be our unnecessary loss.
Posted By: venice Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 11:11am
"a very serious problem arsing."

Very apt freudian slip losing that granny lol. I agree with everyone else, nothing to do with anyone but individual buyers.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 1:06pm
If people in the area do not buy The Sun, the local message to the shops and publishers will be clear. I sympathise with the strength of feeling the issue still evokes, but I do not believe it is any business of the Council's to attempt to influence retailers over what they can and cannot sell.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 2:50pm
Originally Posted by venice
"a very serious problem arsing."

Very apt freudian slip losing that granny lol. I agree with everyone else, nothing to do with anyone but individual buyers.

Not a Freudian slip, Venice an indication that Wirral's Merger with Liverpool Council could have greater repercussions with the influence and direction coming from Liverpool.
Posted By: venice Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 5:12pm
lol,ok , I thought you'd meant 'arising' and lost the 'i' !
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 5:16pm
The thin end of a very thick wedge Lar! We might as well get used to it, fellow woolies. Enjoy our er your fireworks laid on by Joe and his team of lar- arses.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 5:34pm
Originally Posted by venice
lol,ok , I thought you'd meant 'arising' and lost the 'i' !

Haha ! Just got it Venice. Ever so sorry. doh
Posted By: j_demo Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 13th Oct 2016 8:04pm
i'm in two minds about this, i completely back the banning of the S*n for several reasons, not just Hillsborough but then again the freedom of speech dilemma does come into play. If someone decides that they want to buy the sun then i don't particularly want to speak to them, so i think if we do let people buy it, we can then easily identify those of society!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 14th Oct 2016 9:01am
Why now? This campaign should have happened the day after their infamous "The Truth" issue.
Posted By: Mark Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 14th Oct 2016 6:01pm
And also ban wasting our money thank you wirral Council.
Posted By: casper Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 18th Oct 2016 9:43am
I see they have gone and done it granny, I have never liked the paper but every one should have the right to choose which newspaper they wish to read, I used to buy it for my mother in law, and cringed every time I went to pay for it, I think she did the bingo thing in it.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 18th Oct 2016 4:43pm
I can see why they want to ban it as some of the fans that died where from the Wirral but its way too late now its time to move on past this. We never hear about the 56 killed in the Bradford fire or 33 killed in the Burnden Park Disaster every year.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 19th Oct 2016 2:59pm
If I am a newsagent, I will stock (or not) whatever papers my Customers want to buy, they have the right to choose. If I am buying a newspaper, I will decide what paper I will buy (or not).
I don't need Wirral Council (or anybody else in any level of Government) telling me what Press I can or can't read or what my newsagent is allowed to sell. "Freedom of the Press" is an important (nay, vital!) part of a free democratic society and this reeks of censorship / Governmental overreach. Imagine if a Conservative Government banned the Guardian, or the BBC... and so on and so on...!

Like many have said, I would not buy the S*n myself but that is and should remain MY personal choice. I don't mind anyone campaigning til they are blue in the face to persuade people not to buy it, that is perfectly fine.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 19th Oct 2016 5:11pm
The Council hasn't banned anything, they have backed the campaign that discourages the sale of the shun and have asked newsagents not to stock it.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 19th Oct 2016 8:58pm
Someone should correct the subject line of this topic?
I would still disagree with a local (or any other) Government entity asking or supporting a campaign asking newsagents not to stock it (as long as it's legally a Newspaper).
They can all day long ask the people not to buy it, that is perfectly fine.
These are two very different things.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 19th Oct 2016 9:41pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
I would still disagree with a local (or any other) Government entity asking or supporting a campaign asking newsagents not to stock it (as long as it's legally a Newspaper.

This is Wirral Council who are still planning on producing their own monthly newspaper despite it being made absolutely clear by the Government that they are not allowed to do so.
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: Wirral Council Ban The Sun - 20th Oct 2016 8:21am
Alot of old school moaners about the sun pay £50 to sky every month
Started by the very same lizard murdoch
The press like everything are massively corrupt and are puppets to the gov
Im watching the brilliant doc on iplayer at the mo "hypernormalisation" by adam curtis
Nothing will change in the world....the outcomes are just managed
© Wirral-Wikiwirral