Forums
New Brighton lighthouse is set to be lit up for the first time in 42 years after the council, businesses and community groups joined forces to bring the local landmark back to life.

SOURCE
Be nice to see this light up.will look perfect.

good news for a change DD xx
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton's Perch Rock Lighthouse To Be Re-Lit - 11th Dec 2015 11:33pm
Yes what great news, it will make a real feature out of it.
Wonder whether they will use LEDs??
The Lighthouse was lit up in December 2001 - only 14 years ago.
So, where did they get 42 years from?

Well, the source is the Liverpool Echo which got their quote from the Council, but the answer may be in the small print as it does say the project "aims to restore the lights at the top of the lighthouse in their original form." It also refers to it being decommissioned in 1973 - hence the 42 years.

I seem to remember there being a problem with Trafalgar House, or some official body, when the idea of re-lighting the lamp was suggested in the past - probably about the time of the Tall Ships event.

The Echo link will also take you to 13 great pictures of the Lighthouse.

I took the one below on Jan 1st 2002.

Description: New Brighton Lighthouse lit up for Xmas & New Year 2001/2.
Attached picture 1-01010025-001.JPG
The 42 years means lit as a functional lighthouse as opposed to lit up.

The whole tower was restored and painted in 2001 with millenium project funding; this included the placement of a decorative LED light inside the tower, which flashes morse code messages including the names of all who lost their lives in the titanic tragedy.

SOURCE
Cameras ready when this does happen.
more light pollution and more cost on the rate papers
Originally Posted by jimbob
Is it being so cheerful that keeps you going jimbob?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton's Perch Rock Lighthouse To Be Re-Lit - 12th Dec 2015 4:48pm
It would have been Trinity House that raised objections to the light being re-exhibited. They are responsible for lighthouses, beacons and buoys etc. in England and Wales.

Thumbing through my well used tatty copy of Browns Nautical Almanack, Rock Lighthouse character was White flash 5 secs. every 20 secs. Unmanned. Vis. 13 miles until it was discontinued. Focal plane of the light was 63' above mean sea level.

Prior to "Trin." taking over, I think MD&HB used to maintain lights, beacons and buoys in the river and out as far as the Bar LV. The "Salvor" and the "Vigilant" did this work. Often seen moored at Princes Stage.
ha ha. it certainly does.
Originally Posted by jimbob

The lighthouse is privately owned and you may be surprised how little wattage the light is, the brightness is due to the reflector and lens.

The owner rents it out (or at least used to) especially to honeymoon couples at not a bad price, it has all the creature comforts inside.
To my knowledge, the hiring out was an idea that never came to fruition. Could be wrong of course, but I don't think it was inspected and doubt it would have passed the health and safety.

Originally Posted by Norton
The Lighthouse was lit up in December 2001 - only 14 years ago.
So, where did they get 42 years from?

Well, the source is the Liverpool Echo which got their quote from the Council, but the answer may be in the small print as it does say the project "aims to restore the lights at the top of the lighthouse in their original form." It also refers to it being decommissioned in 1973 - hence the 42 years.

I seem to remember there being a problem with Trafalgar House, or some official body, when the idea of re-lighting the lamp was suggested in the past - probably about the time of the Tall Ships event.

The Echo link will also take you to 13 great pictures of the Lighthouse.

I took the one below on Jan 1st 2002.

It was for the River of Light Festival and that went on for a year, Norton. Norman Kingham bought it in 2000 to refurbish it,(the same chap who owned the property with the 'wormhole caves') but he passed away years ago. So not sure who owns it now.
Sorry it was late ! Mistake ; He bought it in 1973 was given money from English Heritage towards renovation which was started in late 1999/2000 ..

http://www.culture24.org.uk/places-to-go/north-west/liverpool/art31302
if the tradidional white light and red light flashes continue I have no problem with the lighthouse being used to promote new brighton.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral