Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 7:41am
Reported that Merseyside Chief Constable wants to meet the taxi driver who stood to attention as the funeral of our fallen Policeman passed by.
Do people no longer do this? As a child when a funeral passed by my family would always stand to attention and my father would raise his hat. In fact if walking I still stop and bow my head
Do retired Service people salute at non military funerals?
My male family members used to wear black armbands on their coat sleeves.How long was this for and apart from sport fixtures is this still done elsewhere? If not when did this die out?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 7:58am
Pax iam here in Ireland and our shops pull shutters and staff stand outside when a funeral passes. They might be someone who left Ireland 50 years ago and never went into there premises. Respect here certainly is alive and kicking, sorry for the pun, but the place comes to a stand still daily.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 9:25am
Thanks for posting that Pax. I think it all boils down to that almost unheard of word now - respect. My father always took off his trilby when a cortege passed en route to Landican. In my early school years when I had to wear a cap, that had to come off as well!
Posted By: casper Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 9:53am
Retired service person's, the rule is you don't salute when not in uniform, however you will see a lot saluting, when representing the various ex services organisations whilst wearing their berets blazers and of course medals representative of their old service arm or regiment etc.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 12:41pm
Originally Posted by casper
Retired service person's, the rule is you don't salute when not in uniform, however you will see a lot saluting, when representing the various ex services organisations whilst wearing their berets blazers and of course medals representative of their old service arm or regiment etc.

The strict rule for service personnel, whether serving or retired, is that you may only salute when wearing service head dress.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 1:40pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

The strict rule for service personnel, whether serving or retired, is that you may only salute when wearing service head dress.

From another forum ... "remove your headgear before you develop repetitive strain injury in your right arm"
Posted By: venice Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 2:02pm
LOL. I love hateral thinking seeyu
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 3:44pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by chriskay

From another forum ... "remove your headgear before you develop repetitive strain injury in your right arm"

Then you develop earache from the sergeant yelling "Why are you not wearing your cap, you horrid little man?"
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mark of respect - 5th Nov 2015 3:46pm
Originally Posted by venice
LOL. I love hateral thinking seeyu

Nice one!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral