Forums
Posted By: keef666 Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 27th Sep 2015 12:13pm
Anyone know why the police closed Brighton street today, had tape across the road and police cars parked there, so all the traffice is now trying to go up the side streets, needless to say its gridlocked, and what are the police doing to hepl this, Nothing as usual,
So anyone know what went on, happing, was it a royal visit! man on roof! or was it our greedy/corrupt councilors being hanged from the flag pole!
Posted By: Near_Oval Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 27th Sep 2015 12:38pm
Closed due to reports of cars racing/chasing
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wallasey-road-sealed-following-reports-10141554
Posted By: keef666 Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 27th Sep 2015 2:47pm
What a load of bollocks, how long does it take to search that small area, so far its been 24 hours, and traffic is still gridlocked in all the side streets around us, where are the police, no where, amazed how there has'nt been any accidents.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 27th Sep 2015 3:16pm
So you're not a big fan of the police then Keith?
Posted By: starakita Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 27th Sep 2015 5:39pm
I got caught up in that today'heard about it yesterday but didn't think it would still be closed.If I had known I would of took a different route
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 28th Sep 2015 9:30am
Had to walk home from Guinea Gap couldn't find where the bus was stopping until it was too late, all the way back to Park Station, I was cream crackered. Heard it was due to gunshots from speeding cars that shut the road down.....no traffic allowed but plenty of pedestrians. What was that all about? There doesn't seem to be much sense or reasoning behind most of the police shut downs anywhere in the country. It's got to be the idiots in charge, the boots on the ground just do as they're told.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 28th Sep 2015 9:41am
Was this Saturday night, near Wallasey Town Hall?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 28th Sep 2015 9:53am
It was but I was caught up in it on Sunday late afternoon. I hope it's finished by tonight when I have to go over there again.
Posted By: Hamman Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 28th Sep 2015 2:34pm
It always amazes me at how stupid people can be on here...

If the road is closed ...... There is a reason. You may not understand what it is but there is a reason.... There are now so few Police on Wirral that these closures are likely to go on for longer and longer There certainly aren't enough Police to sort out the congestion in your road when they are all tied up with something like this !!!!!!

Why not contact Theresa May to point out what the cuts actually lead to...... Oh and there's more on the way so you certainly haven't seen the worst yet...
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 1st Oct 2015 12:13pm
Crime has fallen a lot further than police numbers. We are seeing a decrease of 10% to 20% a year, even through the recession.

Police numbers are to be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/445013/hosb0215.pdf (Figure 2)

and Crime statistics - from two separate sources - here:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime...5/stb-crime-march-2015.html#tab-Summary-

Of the two methods, police statistics and the Crime survey in England and Wales, the former is much lower, as the survey covers crimes which are not reported to the police and antisocial behaviour. Both methods, however, match each other quite well, so it is reasonable to conclude that crime really IS falling, contrary to what is generally supposed.

Given that the police now have far better technology for detecting and preventing crime as well as catching the offenders, it is not unreasonable to suppose they are now heavily overmanned.

The reason for falling crime - it is not just a UK phenomenon, it is falling in almost all western countries with widely different policing methods and resources - is debatable, but there is very good correlation between crime and with the level of lead in petrol 20 years earlier. It may be that much crime is simply the result of lead poisoning in childhood! It appears, however, to have little to do with the quality or otherwise of policing.
Unfortunately crime in Merseyside went UP by 5%. Sexual and violent crime went up by 37% !!!

Posted By: Excoriator Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 1st Oct 2015 1:51pm
Then clearly, some deployment from less crime-ridden areas is indicated!

The figures you quote are police reported anyway, and may indicate more people coming forward or different recording methodology rather than a genuine rise. It may also be due in part to more enthusiastic recording by a force which feels under threat which is perfectly understandable. In the case of the CSEW survey which involved interviewing 50,000 people about crimes - even those not reported or pursued by the police - there was no apparent increase in sexual crime, despite a rise of 37% in police reported ones. Clearly those conducting the survey are likely to be unbiased, being unaffected by any political response to the figures.

The CSEW report, which in my opinion is the better indicator, is available here.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_411032.pdf

It is well worth a read through. It makes interesting reading.

I should say I have nothing against the police, indeed the reverse, and I am not calling for a reduction unlike Mrs May. Her motives may well be to divert any savings to the rich in further tax breaks. However, the facts show she has a good point.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 7th Oct 2015 10:05pm
Looks like this report could also have been down to the guy who has just been charged for PC Phillips killing--he had previous from May 2015 as well.
Posted By: granny Re: Police closed Brighton street, Town Hall - 7th Oct 2015 11:29pm
Originally Posted by Hamman

Why not contact Theresa May to point out what the cuts actually lead to...... Oh and there's more on the way so you certainly haven't seen the worst yet...

Just to track back to Hamman's post. Pre 2007 in Birkenhead there were a load of police cars parked outside the Police Station in Birkenhead. Only two of them were used, and only 4 Police Officers available to use them. That was from the horses mouth, so 'cuts' have been a problem for a lot longer that Mrs May's day.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral