Forums
Posted By: GaryFromWirral Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 19th Feb 2015 2:12pm
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/cammell-laird-dazzles-mersey-ferry-8672028

...Meanwhile in London .. The Royal Iris Rots !!! :o(
Posted By: granny Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 19th Feb 2015 7:07pm
Very dazzling, it looks hideous at massive cost.

Royal Iris has rotted by now. Must be 20years sine anything was done to her.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigwillow Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 19th Feb 2015 9:16pm
there is one of them dazzel ships in the albert dock by the pump house pub or there was last week
The beautiful Royal Iris ... I spent many an hour up and down the Mersey in the eighties ... If only Paul McCartney had a few spare million quid to get it back where it belongs !!

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.07.06%20royal%20iris%20riverboat/62.07.06riverboat.html
These dazzle ships just look bloody stupid...absolutely nothing like the actual WW1 camouflage they're supposedly inspired by, just gaudy, talentless modern art commissions.

ACTUAL dazzle camouflage would look totally badass. This is just a huge load of bollocks using 'WW1 commemoration' as an excuse.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 1st Mar 2015 9:30am
One wonders how much extra money went through the bilge pump on giving some councillors an ego trip by this hair-brained idea? I would imagine a standard arse scrape and re-paint in the correct livery would cost enough as it is. What was the so-called "artist" smoking at the time he had this nightmare of an idea? Whilst they were at it, they should have given back her original name Woodchurch. She was built as the Woodchurch and should remain as such until she meets the gas axe, hopefully many years down the line yet. Another bright idea by some puffed up carpet louse in the Town Hall maybe ??

............and breathe.

As regards the poor old Royal Iris - an absolute tragedy! I'll leave it at that. This diatribe is long enough I feel. mad
Couldn't have put it better myself Guys
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 1st Mar 2015 10:15am
The cost of the dazzle paint job has been sponsored, as well as the cost of the re-paint into normal colours in two years time.

Bob.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 1st Mar 2015 10:32am
Nail, head, on , hit.
Posted By: cools Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 1st Mar 2015 10:34am
I know it's not liked by a lot of people but myself I like the Dazzle paintwork. It will attract a lot of tourists and you know kids will love it and wait for that particular ferry. And better still Bob has informed us it was sponsored money so all round I think Great!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 1st Mar 2015 11:08am
Thanks 8HBob for that info. I didn't know that. Blame it on not being too local! (Hastily tip-toes out of the room !!) blush

She's STILL got the wrong name though !!!
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 1st Mar 2015 12:22pm
well they have actually managed to do something--unlike the previous light column fiasco
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 2nd Mar 2015 11:19am
I just wish they'd do something about the lack of information or attractions on our side of the water. Tourists do the ferry experience, get off on the Wirral, find there's not much to do so go back to the ferry again.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 2nd Mar 2015 11:53am
I agree Gibbo, Wirral is very poor at selling itself apart from the odd golf and that tends to only benefit Hoylake and immediate area. I was stopped near to B&Q just before christmas and was asked if I could direct them to the historic war ships as the driver had followed the signs but thought they missed them. More could be down to draw visitors and old misleading info deleted.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 4th Mar 2015 12:19pm
Originally Posted by 8HBob
The cost of the dazzle paint job has been sponsored, as well as the cost of the re-paint into normal colours in two years time.

Bob.

Sponsored by whom? Wirral Borough Council?

In case anyone is wondering, the anti U boat dazzle design in the 1st World War was put on the confuse the silhouette seen through the periscope, making it hard to see the angle on the bow for a torpedo attack and more difficult to calculate the speed on the second bow wave. More useless info for you.
If there was any private sponsorship it wouldn't be so secretive about who the sponsor is so I can only assume it is entirely public money wherever it has come from - great in these times of austerity innit.

Pick and choose where the money came from any/all of these who are all involved in the project.

Liverpool Biennial
14-18 NOW: WW1 Centenary Art Commissions
Tate Liverpool
Merseytravel
National Museums Liverpool (Merseyside Maritime Museum)
Arts Council England
National Lottery
Heritage Lottery Fund
Department for Culture Media and Sport
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 4th Mar 2015 9:20pm
What a joke, seen this today, grampa will be turning in his grave.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Mersey Ferry Snowdrop's Dazzling Makeover - 5th Mar 2015 2:03am
For once I agree with _Ste_
Looks like Timmy Mallet has been let loose with a paint brush .... on crack !!!! in my opinion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHp5ISDl1gY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmB2iO0eZk
© Wirral-Wikiwirral