Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX End for the Tav? - 17th Nov 2014 5:59pm
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirral-bar-licence-temporarily-suspended-8123560

A Merseyside club has had its licence suspended for a month after neighbours claimed the behaviour of customers makes them too scared to leave their homes at night.

People living near New Brighton bar The Old Tavern say drug taking and people having sex in alleyways are just some of the problems they have to put up with.

The claims are heavily disputed by the club’s owner but licensing chiefs have now ordered a series of changes to be made ahead of its reopening. Welcoming the news Tony Pritchard, who lives on one of the streets near the bar, said: “The residents are very happy with what’s gone on.

“Obviously they wanted closure but certainly they feel this is a victory. We have finally gone some way to [getting] peace of mind and quality of life.”

Mr Pritchard said despite the changes to the club’s licensing conditions, he believed its location in a residential area meant it would eventually end up back before the licensing panel.

He added: “We are hoping it will have a positive effect... but there will be problems. The feeling is that no matter what we do we are still going to have these drunken people on the streets which is still unacceptable.”

Wirral council’s licensing panel met on November 7 to discuss the future of the bar, known as The Tav, after neighbours called for action to be taken against the venue. Their verdict was posted to interested parties on Friday.

Accusations against drinkers at the bar included damaging property, people having sex and taking drugs in a nearby alley and urinating and vomiting in the doorways of residents’ homes.

Owner Steve Cooley denied this was the case, pointing out protestors were unable to prove the sordid activities were carried out by his customers.

The decision letter sent out by the panel said: “In determining the matter members of the sub-committee gave serious consideration to whether the problems caused by the premises could be addressed through better management.

“In considering this issue members have taken into account the fact that there are currently no conditions on the premises licence to regulate the management of customers to prevent public nuisance both when attending the premises and when leaving the premises at closing time.

“Whilst representations made by residents did seek to revoke the licence, members noted that the original application for the review made reference to possible solutions to control patrons of the premises.”

The new conditions to be imposed on The Tav include the adoption of the Challenge 25 scheme to tackle underage drinking and refusing of entry to people turning up after midnight. The Magazine Lane club, which is only open on Fridays and Saturdays, must now close at 1.30am with last drinks served at 1am.

Posted By: j_demo Re: End for the Tav? - 17th Nov 2014 6:05pm
it's had a bit of a questionable reputation (and questionable clientèle) for a fair few years now so this doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is the fact it's taken up until now to have anything done.
Posted By: Mark Re: End for the Tav? - 17th Nov 2014 6:21pm
I'm dying to say i never new it was that exciting down there.

But Horrible for the locals.
Posted By: casper Re: End for the Tav? - 17th Nov 2014 6:39pm
Unable to prove the sordid acts were carried out by his customers,well thats some defence, deny, so instead of trying to do something positive just deny, he deserves to lose his licence on that statement alone, lets see if the new measures work but I doubt it very much, you cant talk sense to some of the morons that go there.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral