Forums
Posted By: Mark American military vehicle Wirral raises £2,000 - 28th Oct 2014 8:58am
Detroit’ Dave has spent his pension to bring the Lark back to its former glory

[Linked Image]

Defiant II has raised £2,000 for Help for Heroes to mark the centenary of World War One. Picture by Linda Foo Guest
An amphibious military vehicle nesting in New Brighton has reaped a cargo full of cash for charity.

The monstrous Defiant II has been parked in front of Fort Perch Rock for the past month to raise money for Help for Heroes to mark the centenary of World War I.

It has certainly attracted a lot of attention during that period as well as raising an astounding £2,000 for the cause.

It has been a labour of love for 74-year-old owner ‘Detroit’ Dave who has spent 18 months and all his pension to refurbish it.

The Lark – as it is know which stands for Lighter Amphibious Resupply Cargo - was built by the American military in the 1960s to transport supplies ashore from ships.

The American army vehicle weighs 25 tonnes and has two 14 litre engines to carry 15 tonnes.

The Prenton granddad is overwhelmed with the money raised.

Read More : Click me

Fantastic !!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNx4zJemf0o

[youtube]bNx4zJemf0o[/youtube]
I was in New Brighton this morning, looking at that across the marine lake - now I know what it's all about! Thanks for posting.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral