Forums
Posted By: muzzy2 Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 12:51pm
Hope no Wiki members were caught up in this, see Wirral Globe and local TV
M53 stiil closed
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 1:01pm
Saw it this morning around 10.30 when crossing at clatterbridge. helicopter and several ambulances and what looked like a tarpaulin up the embankment? Motorway seemed to back open again around 1pm
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 1:02pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/2655613/incidents/road

M53 closed and stationary traffic southbound between J3, A552 (Woodchurch) and J4, A5137 (Bebington), because of accident investigation work. Diversion in operation - Follow the solid black square symbol via the A552 and the B5151 to rejoin at J4. Matrix sign set to 40 mph. Congestion to J2, Moreton Spur.

M53 Merseyside - One lane closed and queuing traffic on M53 northbound between J4, A5137 (Bebington) and J3, A552 (Woodchurch).
Posted By: granny Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 1:23pm
Barnston Road is flowing towards Heswall with tail back just after Basset Hound but not too bad considering, atm.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 1:35pm
News story and pic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-29427420

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...Junctions_three_and_four_of_M53/?ref=rss
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 4:20pm
It says there were 2 accidents. Sadly, a man lost his life in one of them frown x
Posted By: j_demo Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 5:18pm
I've just been caught up in huge tailbacks coming back to new Brighton from Chester. It was over on the other carriageway and screens were up to keep people from rubbernecking but you could still see what was left of one car and most of another and a load of police and other highways vehicles including a couple of cranes and some flatbeds
Posted By: Dilly Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 5:23pm
Originally Posted by j_demo
I've just been caught up in huge tailbacks coming back to new Brighton from Chester. It was over on the other carriageway and screens were up to keep people from rubbernecking but you could still see what was left of one car and most of another and a load of police and other highways vehicles including a couple of cranes and some flatbeds

Sounds like it didn't stop you rubber necking .
Posted By: venice Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 5:40pm
Aw come on Dilly, thats a bit harsh isnt it? If people were honest when asked, I bet 99% of them would admit to casting a swift glance whilst going past any incident like that . In a micro glance you can take in ALL the info that j demo mentioned . Its just human nature , we cant help ourselves being so curious and he said nothing that wouldnt be said if we tuned in to the local news station. Whats the difference.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 7:46pm
Its pretty bad there going in the chester direction this time of year with the sun low in the sky. Was wondering if traffic had backed down the sliproad onto the motorway because roadworks at 3 stags was causing tailbacks onto the clatterbridge roundabout and even down brimstage road.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 7:55pm
Originally Posted by brittone05
It says there were 2 accidents. Sadly, a man lost his life in one of them frown x

The one I saw was just before the clatterbridge slipway .

This looks like the other accident nearer to the woodchurch junction
http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/n...er-hgv-driver-arrested-following-7859562
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 30th Sep 2014 8:00pm
Got to go along with Venice's comment. Yes, we ALL take a quick peek at such times, hopefully consistant with traffic conditions on our side of the carraigeway. Who doesn't mutter under their breath "There for the Grace of God..." etc.

We all make cock-ups and usually live to tell the tale. Sadly some don't.

Steps down from Soapbox...............
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 1st Oct 2014 10:13am
The thing that bothers me is that there's a bit of reporting, a brief follow up if the driver goes to court, then that's it. It falls out of people's minds until it happens again and again.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 1st Oct 2014 2:12pm
Originally Posted by venice
Aw come on Dilly, thats a bit harsh isnt it? If people were honest when asked, I bet 99% of them would admit to casting a swift glance whilst going past any incident like that . In a micro glance you can take in ALL the info that j demo mentioned . Its just human nature , we cant help ourselves being so curious and he said nothing that wouldnt be said if we tuned in to the local news station. Whats the difference.

my point was the use his term rubber necking, and then to go on and say he was doing it himself smile
Posted By: venice Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 1st Oct 2014 6:21pm
Yeah, see your point Dilly ,youre right, the post COULD have been construed as being hypocritical on the face of it , but I think J demo was referring to the few moronic people who really do make things more congested and dangerous by slowing down and not paying attention so they can have a really good long ghoulish gawp , which is a bit different to reporting what you take in visually during the nano second as you pass at a sensible speed.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Huge accident at Junc 4 - 1st Oct 2014 6:42pm
Originally Posted by venice
Yeah, see your point Dilly ,youre right, the post COULD have been construed as being hypocritical on the face of it , but I think J demo was referring to the few moronic people who really do make things more congested and dangerous by slowing down and not paying attention so they can have a really good long ghoulish gawp , which is a bit different to reporting what you take in visually during the nano second as you pass at a sensible speed.

pretty much this

was basically at a standstill long enough (few mins) just before the barriers so i could just take stock of what i could see and it didn't look good.

i wasn't exactly flying past at 80 not looking at the road ahead...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral