Forums
Posted By: granny Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 11:37am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content
RED WARNING of WIND

During this afternoon a swathe of exceptionally strong winds is expected to affect western and northwestern parts of Wales and then some northwestern parts of England this evening, particularly in coastal areas. Winds are expected to gust 80 mph widely and possibly reach 100 mph in the most exposed locations in west and northwest Wales.

Winds of this strength can cause widespread structural damage, bringing down trees and also leading to loss of power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts. The public should take action to alter their travel arrangements during this spell of storm force winds.

Valid from 1330 until 2100 on Wednesday

Wednesday 12th February 2014
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 4:12pm
Seems to be revving up here Granny.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 4:14pm
very windy in eastham a.t.m
Posted By: granny Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 4:35pm
Pretty bad here Pensby/Thingwall, atm with very strong gusts, seems to be building up still.

These sort of conditions scare the pants off me. Was in Felixstowe in 1987 for what was called The Great Storm. Never want to see anything like that again. Horrendous! Peak of the storm hit 105mph then.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 4:39pm
Winds getting up here in Wallasey...can hear it howling in the back. Battened down the hatches....
Posted By: Mark Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 5:50pm
The winds are set to Hit Hardest towards midnight.
But will continue to be strong until late tomorrow.

Already had the electricity wanting to black out.
So Pc Shut down gracefully to prevent any power outs.

Its going to be a long night.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 5:58pm
Flickering lights here in Seacombe too.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 6:30pm
Barbecue blew over frown

In all seriousness it's really getting up now. I got home about 4:15 after an interesting drive home on the M56/53, roof tile already blown off then so could be some damage done tonight.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 7:29pm
beware the knocks on your doors from the men in the white vans claiming to be roofers in the next couple of days.
Posted By: rocks Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 7:47pm
touches are out ready and my phone is charging in case we have a power cut frown
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 8:02pm
Rambo left his flask here (from Xmas- gravy). Gonna fill that up with water for tea in the morning..just incase.
Posted By: rocks Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 10:03pm
haha just seem i put "touches" not "torches" glad you knew what i meant....seems like the worst is over, (for here anyway) i hope theres not too many casualties by morning
Posted By: granny Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 10:16pm
BBC news

Around 87,000 homes in Wales and more than a quarter of a million in Republic of Ireland have been left without power, while 3,000 homes in south-west England and 13,000 in the West Midlands are affected.

In northern England, 10,000 homes in Cheshire, 5,500 homes in north Shropshire and 2,500 homes in The Wirral are without power.

Does anyone know where?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 10:18pm
No Granny, but the barometer has shot up so worst has moved on.
Posted By: granny Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 12th Feb 2014 10:22pm

Thank goodness for that Moonstar. We can sleep tonight, in our nice warm beds which is more than many will enjoy.
My heart goes out to them all. It's tragic!
Posted By: Mark Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 7:44am
Wow that's over.
Need to go out and check to see if i still have all my roof tiles.

Any damage anywhere ?

in Liverpool, Lime Street is closed in both direction due to the unsafe building between Lord Nelson Street and B5339 Ranelagh Street. This is also affecting A5039 St George's Place between A5038 Lime Street / A5038 Lime Street and A5039 St John's Lane / A5039 Victoria Street / A5040 Whitechapel.

no services between Crewe and Liverpool until 10am while overhead lines are repaired but "road transport will operate" instead.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 9:19am
Traffic lights went out at 2 mills about 4:30pm causing chaos yesterday.

2 policemen had to direct the traffic and bare the bitter cold weather.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 10:08am
I have been told that the Circus tent at Moreton has been wrecked in the gale
Posted By: granny Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 11:59am
Picture from BBC website this morning.

A miniature sandstorm blew across the breakwater next to the Fort Perch Rock Lighthouse in New Brighton, Merseyside.

Attached picture _72952614_8fb883fa-f84a-42e4-9b65-c0112df83a8f.jpg
Posted By: delta6 Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 12:11pm
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
I have been told that the Circus tent at Moreton has been wrecked in the gale

yep, totally battered.
cover was definitely not repairable.
interior didn't seem to fair any better either
Posted By: starakita Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 12:13pm
I had a fence panel blow down last night.Went to New Brighton with the dog this morning,big waves but out of the wind which wasn't as bad as some of the times we've been,it was quite nice.
Posted By: Mark Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 3:37pm
UK storms: 'There is worse to come'

Click Me

3 hours ago

Tens of thousands of homes are without power and commuters are facing renewed travel disruption after hurricane-force winds battered the UK on Wednesday.

Forecasters are predicting some respite on Thursday from stormy weather.

But speaking in Chertsey, Surrey, BBC Weather presenter John Hammond tells Joanna Gosling there is worse to come on Friday.
Posted By: Mark Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 13th Feb 2014 3:41pm
900 Wirral homes still without power

Click me

AROUND 900 Wirral homes are still without power following last night’s hurricane-force gales.

Engineers have been working throughout the night to restore power to those cut-off during the storms, with around 1,600 houses in Wirral now reconnected.

Approximately 52,000 homes are without power across the ScottishPower network area, 2,500 of them were in Wirral.

The company said 450 field staff starting the recovery operation at first light this morning.

Up to 100 additional linesmen and engineers from Scotland have been drafted in to assist the recovery.

Some 140,000 homes in Mid and North Wales, North Shropshire and Cheshire have been affected, with engineers restoring power to 98,000.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 14th Feb 2014 1:50pm
At 3.00 am this morning there wasn't a breath of wind - now it's kicked off again. Glad I went shopping early and was also privileged to see lots of lads getting their roses and chocs for their girls - heart warming.
Posted By: granny Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 14th Feb 2014 3:23pm

No chocs here Moonstar...

Just read that the we, the country, are asking Brussels for financial support for the aftermath of the storms.

Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Severe Gales Wirral NW England - 16th Feb 2014 4:52pm
There is a new circus tent on the Moreton site but I would check first before going that it will be ready for performances this week
© Wirral-Wikiwirral