Forums
Wirral on flood alert as strong winds and high tides are forecast.

MERSEYSIDE Coastguard is warning the public to stay away from Wirral's coastal areas amid fears of a possible tidal surge later this week.

Gale force winds created a surge that left a swathe of destruction across the borough's coastal towns on December 5.

And with winds expected to reach 70 or 80 miles per hour on Friday, communities across the North West are urged to prepare for possible coastal flooding with concerns that there could be a repeat of last month's devastation.

The Environment Agency is warning coastal communities along the south and west coasts of England to remain vigilant and alert for possible tidal flooding between Friday and Sunday, as strong winds combine with high tides and large waves.

A spokesman for Merseyside Coastguard told the Globe: "There is a possibility that this could be as bad as the storms of December 5 and there is a flood alert.

"Therefore, our advice to the public would be to stay away from coastal areas and not be tempted to go and look at the waves."

The Environment Agency has warned that it could lead to localized spray and wave over-topping at exposed coastal locations and promenades, and the risk of flooding to properties and low lying land.

Agency teams will be working around the clock to check flood defenses and close tidal gates.

Further flood alerts, meaning be aware of possible flooding, and some flood warnings, which mean take action to prepare for flooding, are likely to be issued.

Natural Resources Wales, the organisation which leads on flooding in Wales, is also warning of potential flooding from high tides and strong winds.

With the ground saturated and river levels high, there remains a continued risk of river and surface water flooding across south, south west and north west England.

Craig Woolhouse, the Environment Agency's head of flood incident Management, said: "Strong winds and large waves along the west and south coasts of England are forecast between Friday and Sunday, coinciding with high tides.

"Impacts could include flooding affecting some coastal properties and communities.

"Coastal paths and promenades could be highly dangerous as there is an increased risk of being swept out to sea. People are warned to stay away from the shoreline.

"The Environment Agency is monitoring the situation closely, working alongside partners including the Met Office and local authorities.

"Environment Agency teams are out on the ground making sure that flood defenses are in good working order, monitoring sea levels and preparing to issue flood alerts and warnings.

"People should check the Environment Agency website or follow @EnvAgency and #floodaware on Twitter for the latest flood outlook, and sign up to receive free flood warnings."

Attached picture met.JPG
Ive just read that the Thames has closed its flood gates.

its looking pretty serious again.

Exceptional weather Click Me
What about the Black Pearl? Hope she survives this one
High tide is at 12:15pm. Take that as a warning or as a heads up to see some cool waves depending on which way you are inclined.
How's it looking on the Wirral?
dark
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
dark
laffin
Any wind or rain?

It's never as bad as they warn it will be.
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
High tide is at 12:15pm. Take that as a warning or as a heads up to see some cool waves depending on which way you are inclined.
High tide now too,I believe??
Woodside, Rock Park & Wallasey Docks - latest warning.

The high tide at Liverpool Gladstone Dock at 12:13 pm on Friday 3rd January 2014 is 5.15m AOD. Due to weather conditions there will be a surge that will increase the tide level. The forecast tide including the surge is 6.04m AOD. The places most likely to be affected are at Wallasey Dock and Rock Park. Further information will follow in due course when the forecast is updated.

1816 on Thu 2 Jan 2014 From the Met Office.

Warrington doesn't look good, either.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/flood-warnings/ea#?tab=floodWarningsDetail
I have just been for a walk along the prom, and its all calm
Originally Posted by Emeeh
Any wind or rain?

yep, we missed it all last time.

Attached picture aaa.jpg
Attached picture aaaa.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHaCzb3yYk
Conflicting reports:

This says 10.10m.....which is high !

http://www.tidetimes.org.uk/liverpool-gladstone-dock-tide-times-20140103#axzz2pIT0EhT9
Any wind or rain?

Only ever really likely to happen once every 30 ish years.

Let's see if winds hit 80mph...

That said, I'm lying in bed on the mid west coast of Wales and it's mentally blowy.
Any wind or rain?

Only ever really likely to happen once every 30 ish years.

Let's see if winds hit 80mph...

That said, I'm lying in bed on the mid west coast of Wales and it's mentally blowy.

What's only likely to happen once every 30 ish years?
Hope you're warm and tuck tin
The combination of the exceptionally high tide with winds strong enough to breach the sea wall.

I'm lead to believe fairly predictable. I could be wrong.

Tucked up great thanks, just finished watching a film in front of our open log burner under a thick duvet, now I'm listening to the strangely soothing sound of the wind and rain hitting the windows.

Not sure I'd be so calmed by it all should I have to be up later for work!!
The combination of the exceptionally high tide with winds strong enough to breach the sea wall.

I'm lead to believe fairly predictable. I could be wrong.

Tucked up great thanks, just finished watching a film in front of our open log burner under a thick duvet, now I'm listening to the strangely soothing sound of the wind and rain hitting the windows.

Not sure I'd be so calmed by it all should I have to be up later for work!!

Only pleased you are not in a caravan as you would know about it sooner rather than later.
Breaching sea walls is one thing, how about the ferry terminals ? They too get flooded and is more frequent than you might think.
It's been a long time since I've been to one of Wirral's ferry terminals but I do recall pictures of them being flooded. I guess reason being they need to be a little lower than the sea wall?

I think anyone around the Wirral's coast can be fairly happy that they won't be seeing scenes from a few weeks ago, if my boffin of a friend knows his stuff, which i think he does.

No caravans here, thank God! Although there is one in the field next door, a couple in fact; static and small pull along. Both still standing in place atm, hope they stay that way as my bedroom is on the end of the house and I'd know about it first,
Originally Posted by granny

The first one is quoted as AOD, which stands for Above Ordnance Datum. Ordnance Datum is the mean sea level roughly half way between the average low and high tide. I assume the tide times site gives the actual depth of water at a specific point on the dock.

Either way, it's going to be a biggun!
Thanks you for explaining Cobby.

Live update to follow :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25580722
The wind is in a different direction to the last one, so although we'll see some big waves hit the sea wall, I don't think we'll see damage like last time.

Keep an eye on the webcam:

http://www.wirralcam.org/newbrighton.shtml
Storm just been downgraded across the country apparently (bbc news 24). Looking across the marsh in Neston and its sunny , large patches of blue sky ,and not much wind -----so far and what there is is Southeasterly! The wind needs to be strong Northwesterly to bring even a 10.2 tide high up the Parkgate sea wall .Hopefully the high tide will be done before any severe storm kicks in . Cant imagine what it must feel like to be flooded out even once, never mind a second time. Fingers crossed for all living close to the waterline.
Looking on the New Brighton Webcam its just starting to go onto the fort car park.
Just been to morrisons, and waves are high
I have been trying to look at New Brighton on Wirral Webcams but I am unable to get any pictures!
Originally Posted by Heswall1958
I have been trying to look at New Brighton on Wirral Webcams but I am unable to get any pictures!

I think everybody is doing the same, the site is struggling.
Originally Posted by Gibbo
The wind is in a different direction to the last one, so although we'll see some big waves hit the sea wall, I don't think we'll see damage like last time.

Keep an eye on the webcam:

http://www.wirralcam.org/newbrighton.shtml

Definitely less than last time.
Currently Marine Lake is filling and Fort car park
is flooded but not very deep. Less going into the Fort
and nothing into Morrisons as far as I can see.
Thanks Tedmus I never thought of that. I will keep trying.
Do they have a live feed of coast from moreton to derby pool so you can watch the waves .
Im in new Brighton now. Its busy with people watching the waves but its not that good. The fort car park is closed and flooded. The prom past the floral is also closed and so is the seafront by morrisons. Theres loads of photographers trying to get that wave round the lighthouse shot. I tried but go bored.
That shot is such a cliche!
There was lots of people taking pictures until the Coast Guard and the police closed the fort car park, I reckon theiris more drama watching the Floral Pavilions Panto than watching a 10m tide without the low pressure and the wind in the wrong direction, the waves were powerful and stopped me going to the Seaview cafe as I was in the fort until the tide dropped as the causeway was flooded.
Youtube is great. I can let all the tidal surge explorers video it and watch it from the warmth and comfort and safety of my chair. dear me i am getting older
older maybe, but much dryer and warmer lol
As seen from Fort Perch Rock yesterday

Description: Us watching you
Attached picture DSCI0115.JPG
Was there any flooding?
no
Gritters are out and about
Just spotted this picture on the BBC website.
The gangway to the floating stage is horizontal.

Attached picture _72091711_nickcollins.jpg
There's a high tide and strong wind combination for the next day or two, there may be some good photo opportunities.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral