Forums
Posted By: organiser Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 11:29am
Just seen this as a newsflash on Mersey Magazine

Wirral binmen are set to stage a two and a half day strike next week

The strike, which is yet to be confirmed, is likely to mean there will not be any refuse collections in Wirral on Thursday and Friday of next week

Mersey Magazine understand the strike is likely to be followed by a decision to operate strictly on a "work to rule" basis
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 1:12pm
Just in time for my first paid Brown bin collection...Nice..
Posted By: ickymicky Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 4:13pm
Daft question, but;
Will the missed collection be made back to us?
This falls on my green bin collection day and I'm finding it difficult to believe that health and safety will allow the council to not collect refuse from a house for a whole month.
As it is I have to do tip runs once a month as my 4 bedroom house is only allowed to present one green bin.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 4:32pm
Good on them I say clap

About time people grow a back bone and fight back.
Posted By: 47fld Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 4:36pm
will we get a refund of our council tax if they dont collect.................cant see why not
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 10:54pm
Why are they striking?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 10:58pm
Originally Posted by granny
Why are they striking?
Google 'wirral council binmen'.

Pleased to help. smile
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 14th Jun 2013 11:21pm
Thanks Rude,

It stands to reason, doesn't it.As I said on the Bin Tax thread last week. Less bins to empty, more job losses.
It's a vicious circle and let's not fool ourselves, Unite will aggitate a situation if it's worth their while.
I couldn't give a monkeys anymore, let them get on with their strike. The more they rattle the public, the happier they are.

Oh, and by the way, some Unite officials have had a great night out tonight, whilst everyone else worries about their jobs!!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 6:01am
Is there a reason why Unite officials shouldn't have a night out?
Is it because they are part of a Trade Union and not the Monarchy or Tory party?
Posted By: MikeT Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 6:33am
Originally Posted by ickymicky
As it is I have to do tip runs once a month as my 4 bedroom house is only allowed to present one green bin.

How do you manage that? We barely manage to fill one green bin half-full. Try recycling more!
Posted By: ponytail Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 6:35am
If Biffa binmen were contracted to do a job then they should take this up with their company as to the terms and conditions. I cannot see why a strike will benefit them - wonder if the binmen will be paid or if Biffa will compensate £wages losses.
Contracts sometimes stipulate clauses regarding striking action. No wonder there were unavailable for comment, is this a legal strike? - 9 out of 10 workers voted for it so seems a small company anyway. Wonder how long the Biffa contract runs for. If it does happen, its their reputation which will be at risk, and what about renewing/bidding for a future contract...
There are strategies formed by joint councils to monitor waste - Joint Municipal Waste Management Strategy and the Merseyside Waste Disposal Authority but I am unaware of their views on strikes. I do hope they collect our green bins, those flies and maggots turn me sick when left for 1 month.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 8:53am
Originally Posted by bert1
Is there a reason why Unite officials shouldn't have a night out?
Is it because they are part of a Trade Union and not the Monarchy or Tory party?

They can have as many nights out as they wish Bert1, they can afford it, but surely it seems pretty hypocritical for those who struggle to pay their bills and their union membership plus, at the same time are just about to embark on strike action which has been initiated by such people.
My opinions are based on facts that I read, nothing to do with whether they are Monarchy,Tory party,UKIP, Green or any other f..ing political group.
Some people of course see Trade Union leaders as 'gods' and aways did.

2012 Trade Union Rich List.
http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/ho...on-rich-list-exposes-union-fat-cats.html

Taxpayers will be staggered by the hypocrisy of union bosses who, while playing at being class warriors, lead strikes which disrupt the lives of millions of people and pocket six-figure pay and benefits. Union campaigns to defend generous pensions in the public sector could result in even higher taxes for the families picking up the bill – who generally receive much less generous pensions themselves. Unfortunately those campaigns are supported by thousands of activists put at the disposal of these union fat cats but paid for at taxpayers’ expense. We need an end to the subsidies and a government that stands up to attempts by these highly paid hypocrites to extort even more money out of the hard-pressed British public.”

Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 9:23am
So, Granny, you're suggesting anyone involved with a trade union shouldn't be allowed to earn a decent wage, is it because of that involvement they should know their place and take everything that's thrown at them. Should the situation be, one can only defend and speak up for the poor, the downtrodden and working lowly paid people, if one is in the same position themselves?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 1:07pm
Is it out of kilter if the top man in a car factory earns 10 times more than a shop floor worker, or is that more acceptable because the words Trades Union are not involved?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 1:58pm
Whenever I was on strike it caused more problems for myself than it ever solved and probably cost more jobs in end.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 3:14pm
Top man in car factory is working for a profit making company,therefore the profits pay their wages.
Trade Union officials are not working for a profit making company, neither is any council supposed to be a profit making organisation, the same as the civil service, the teachers, the nursing profession, and many more.

How it works is explained in this link below from 2010.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...s-paying-for-trade-union-activities.html

Nov 2012 it came to light that WMBC had set aside £290,000 for their Union Reps. SO who is paying? You don't need to answer that, it's just another unscrupulous act.

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...im_over_Wirral_Council_trade_union_cash/

So far as I can see, in this instance, the council have created the situation and are now happy to use our money to sort it out. Don't blame the refuse collectors, they are just pawns in the game of the Trade Unions and councils.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 4:08pm
Granny,
I can tell you and speak with experience that its to the benefit of most large organisations to have union reps, shop stewards to hand, to sort out problems when they arise. They are employed by the organisation and not by the union, so the organisation or the company should pay them. If they carry out full time union business then it must be to the benefit of the company, or the company wouldn't allow it. The alternative would be the company or organisation would have to wait for the area delegate to have time to discuss with them whatever was on the agenda, this could take time and in the meantime, production, etc. could be stopped.
Is it that you want no trade union representation in the workplace at all, a return to the dark ages, do what the Lord and Master demands?
Posted By: Uffda Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 4:16pm
2012 Trade Union Rich List.
http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/ho...on-rich-list-exposes-union-fat-cats.html

Taxpayers will be staggered by the hypocrisy of union bosses who, while playing at being class warriors, lead strikes which disrupt the lives of millions of people and pocket six-figure pay and benefits. Union campaigns to defend generous pensions in the public sector could result in even higher taxes for the families picking up the bill – who generally receive much less generous pensions themselves. Unfortunately those campaigns are supported by thousands of activists put at the disposal of these union fat cats but paid for at taxpayers’ expense. We need an end to the subsidies and a government that stands up to attempts by these highly paid hypocrites to extort even more money out of the hard-pressed British public.”

[/quote]
Thank for the info Granny, I had no idea the guys at the top were raking in so much money.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 5:11pm
Bert, it is obviously 'have a go at Granny' day today.

In reply to your question about going back to the dark ages with Lord and Master demands, which is on similar lines to another post you made to me a while back, you know full well that is not the issue.I understand what you say Bert.
I too can speak with experience and tell, that when myself and collegues needed the help from the unions, to whom we had religiously paid our memberships, they had no regard at all. We didn't even get a response from and when we chased them, they didn't even have anything to tell us. Useless from beginning to end.
These union reps and officials have their golf weekends away and can take and include their families, in an all expences paid holiday, to the TUC conference . Is that what we pay our fees for?
My objections are about the spending of fundings on away days and events,that are meant to be for the benefits of the union members.
One union official I know spends most of his time travelling around the country,up and down to London,to see the MP's, he is never at his work place, but still gets paid for the job he isn't doing. That could go on for years. So therefore, someone else must be getting paid the same for doing his job, but it won't be a permanent position and therefore probably no pension or benefits that a full time employee would receive.
In this present climate, the Unions are undoubtably waiting for the right moment to make a high profile case and rattle the country.
It strikes me that where transparency is required, just about everywhere else these days, it doesn't seem to apply to various sectors yet, and I still object to part of my council tax paying towards Union reps. Strangely enough, for the very similar reason i.e. people objecting to paying council tax for brown bins, and those who wanted them were told to pay for their own service, is I'm sure,where this present situation of possible strike action has evolved.
Well I've paid mine so carry no guilt in contributing to the possible job losses.
Yes, we need unions, but they fiddle and have their perks as much as the next without really earning them. They would like to be the present day Lords and Masters.

You haven't responded to Bandy's post yet!
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 5:22pm
One last point Bert.

Pleased to see you back on here. You've been missed, you old beggar. Hope you'll hang around a bit longer. smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 15th Jun 2013 5:39pm
I haven't been anywhere Granny, I've been keeping my beady eye on you. wink
I'm not having a go at you, I'm opposing your views. Unions are not perfect, life is not perfect and we don't live in a perfect world, but life is better for us peasants since Trade Unions were formed than prior, history tells us that. As for answering Bandy's post, he benefited from Trade Unionism in his lifetime, he just doesn't like to admit it.
Posted By: ickymicky Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 16th Jun 2013 5:47pm
Originally Posted by MikeT
Originally Posted by ickymicky

How do you manage that? We barely manage to fill one green bin half-full. Try recycling more!

You're assuming I don't present a bin full of recycling on relevant collection days, which we do. Also the tip run contains items which are organised for recycling.
I made reference to the green bin as, stated in my first post, the strike falls on my green bin day.
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Wirral binmen to strike next week - 16th Jun 2013 5:55pm
if they dont go to work then sack them and give somebody else their jobs!!so many people out of work yet these people go on strike and still keep their jobs.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral