Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Wirral Globe distribution. - 6th Mar 2013 11:50pm
Recieved a letter within my Globe paper today.
'Following a review of Wirral Globe a decision has been made to realign the current distribution of the newspaper. Unfortunatley as of 13th march we will no longer be delivering the Wirral Globe to your address'.

It continues with website details etc...

I'm not particularly going to miss the 'news' in the paper as it often out of date anyway but I will miss reading the smaller articles and adverts/ offers.

Ironically,on page four there iS a small item entitled 'Streets Ahead' detailing how the Globe has a larger ciculation than 'rival' The Wirral News!

What areas have been cut out of circulation? (I'm sunny Seacombe) Who decided and why?

If anything, I think I'm more miffed that the loss of the hard copy Globe is another piece of History lost. frown

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 6th Mar 2013 11:52pm
Oh... and not everybody has access to the Internet or knowledge of how to use it and so how are these people going to access local news?
Posted By: Abbot Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 12:23am
With the amount of adverts in it they should have enough money to deliver to every house in the UK
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 12:43am
True- and also business loss from lack of generalised promotions. A friend of ours places weekly business adverts in the Wirral News and was re-considering this when I told them of the areas that I know of that do not recieve the paper.

I assume there is also going to be more job losses too (distributors for a start).Who is going to pay to place an Advert or an Obituary Notice in a paper with reduced circulation/'target audience'? (Advertising editor job).

What about the circulars contained within the paper? Yes, most people put them in the bin without looking but some people do take note- they must do else we would not have them- so again- less advertising of bargains etc...
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 3:55am
Before t'internet (and obviously change of location) I used to love the Globe coming on a Wednesday, and even now despite having access to it online, I'd probably still read the paper version while sitting down with a cup of tea and a biscuit smile

It's very sad to think of it's demise but sadly a sign of the times. I suppose the only way to prevent it being read online would be to not have a website for it.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 8:18am
Some newsagents sell the Wirral Globe for its cover price of 40p, this has been going on for some months and by stopping free deliveries of it Wirral Globe are hoping to make a large profit for something which is 90% adverts.

Dave
Posted By: dadave Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 8:43am
We live not far from hooton. We recieve none of the free wirral papers, nor the free Elesmere Port one, but neither can tell us which we should get, or why we dont. Ok, its a rubbish read, but its a cup of teas worth and Ive bought from the classified before...
Posted By: dawnmo234 Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 8:55am
Havent had any free papers since i moved to this area 2 years ago because they dont print enough to cover the whole of wirral anyway, so we're used to lookin on the internet instead
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 12:04pm
Same here, although a house down the road does.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 1:10pm
I'm in Liscard & haven't recieved the Wirral Globe for years .
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 1:58pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

"a decision has been made to realign the current distribution of the newspaper".

I love that expression, meaning simply that they're going to stop it. It's on a par with the beauty from the Iraq war "incontinent ordnance", meaning bombs which fell off-target.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 5:10pm
Originally Posted by daveybm
Some newsagents sell the Wirral Globe for its cover price of 40p, this has been going on for some months and by stopping free deliveries of it Wirral Globe are hoping to make a large profit for something which is 90% adverts.

Dave
The company behind the Wirral Globe hoping to make a large profit? Ooooh, how DARE they!
Come on people it's (was) delivered for FREE only as long as they could get advertisers to take out ads that work for the delivery area(s). Simple as that.
There is no such thing as entitlement to receive anything FREE, from ANYONE. Get over it!!
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 6:06pm
I light my fire with it.

K
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 7:11pm
I deliver 900 of them every week. I would suspect its all down to balancing revenue from ads and the costs to edit,print and deliver. Kids arent that interested as they probably get more pocket money than they would walking the streets in the rain and dark for several hours.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 7:34pm
It's simple economics. When the Wirral News stopped delivering on the Leasowe years ago (20?) I rang up and asked why. A rather officious young lady said, and I quote verbatim, " it's because we are a selling paper and you are a deprived area". I can't say my reply!

Businesses cut their margins to make more money, pure and simple. I never used the Wirral News again after that and I always thought the Globe was great for persevering in places like Leasowe. Well I suppose they are no different in reality.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 10:43pm
I am in New Brighton and haven't had the Globe for years. I did take it up with them at the time and asked did they actually tell their advertisers that large chunks of the Wirral didn't receive the paper - their reply was 'fluffy', ie advertisers should ask about circulation!

I am of an age now where hatching, matching and despatching notices are of interest and they are rarely in both the Globe and Wirral News.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 11:14pm
Damn it! Thats me having to buy litter tray liners again for the cats.... smile
Posted By: starakita Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 7th Mar 2013 11:35pm
I stopped getting the Globe when I lived in Tranmere only got the wirral news,now I live on Dacre hill I only get the Globe.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 8th Mar 2013 8:37am
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Originally Posted by daveybm

Dave
The company behind the Wirral Globe hoping to make a large profit? Ooooh, how DARE they!
Come on people it's (was) delivered for FREE only as long as they could get advertisers to take out ads that work for the delivery area(s). Simple as that.
There is no such thing as entitlement to receive anything FREE, from ANYONE. Get over it!!

The point I was making was that it is still available if you don't get it delivered, or if you don't have access to the internet.Every company has to make a profit, I still get mine delivered free but I would not pay the asking price if I had to buy it.

Dave
Posted By: cameraman Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 8th Mar 2013 9:33pm
I live between the parks in Tranmere, my mum lives across the park towards bedford drive. she gets the globe and I dont. when I emailed them about it two years ago they told me that it wasnt viable to deliver to my address !!!
They lost some revenue because I was contemplating taking out a regular advert in it for a local business for the area. what would be the point if it didnt reach the people I wanted it to go to
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 9th Mar 2013 2:03am
Originally Posted by Capt_America
When the Wirral News stopped delivering on the Leasowe years ago (20?) I rang up and asked why. A rather officious young lady said, and I quote verbatim, " it's because we are a selling paper and you are a deprived area".

Yeah, your area's deprived of the Wirral News! raftl And same here by the way! (Wallasey/Egremont)
Posted By: teacherSue Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 9th Mar 2013 10:38pm
I'm in Moreton and in our road we haven't had the Wallasey/Wirral News for over 2 years. When I eventually managed to speak to someone in Distribution about it, I was told that they didn't produce enough papers to cover all roads - and ours was one that they didn't deliver to. Yet they are available for sale in local shops.
At least the Globe had the decency to warn you.
Posted By: Thom74 Re: Wirral Globe distribution. - 27th Mar 2013 1:57pm
We haven't had a local paper in years, don't get it in work neither. only time i get to read is when i go the chippy.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral