Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 11:20am
GEORGIA TRAGEDY: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter after death of Wirral teenager.

A 16-year-old girl died after falling beneath a train she had just got off in a city centre station, a court heard yesterday.

Georgia Varley fell onto the platform at James Street station in Liverpool while banging on the windows and then fell off the edge of the platform and was run over.

CCTV footage of her on the crowded Merseyrail train and her final 30 seconds after disembarking were played to a jury in a hushed courtroom.

On trial at Liverpool Crown Court is the train's guard, Christopher McGee, 45, of Edenhurst Avenue, Wallasey, who denies manslaughter and also a charge of failing to ensure the safety of others.

Opening the prosecution case NIcholas Johnson, QC, said that the tragedy happened at 10.30pm, on October 22, last year when Georgia came into Liverpool from Manor Road station, near West Kirby, with friends.

"She never got out of the station. She ended up being run over by the very train on which she had arrived," he said.

Mr Johnson said that although it was a crowded train, only one person was in a position to see and control everything that happened.

"Most importantly only one person had the capability to prevent the situation that led to Georgia Varley's death."

He claimed that McGee did two things which caused her death.

"Firstly he gave the signal to the driver to start the train when he could not have failed to realise that Georgia Varley was in contact with the train and was in an intoxicated state.

"It is the prosecution case that seeing she had her hands against the train and knowing or at least suspecting she was the worse for drink he nonetheless gave the signal for the train to start.

"That was a deliberate act that he must have known would inevitably subject Georgia Varley to a degree of force that was highly likely to throw her off balance with the consequent risk of injury. If that is right then we say that in the circumstances it was a criminal act.

"The second thing he did namely his failure to countermand the signal to start when it was clear she could be dragged along by or under the train serves further to demonstrate that his conduct was deliberate.It created the very obvious risk of killing her.

"To the eyes of a highly-trained Merseyrail guard, we suggest the risk was even more obvious than it would be to the average person," alleged Mr Johnson.

He told the court that earlier that evening Georgia and others had been at a friend's 18th birthday and Georgia, who had been drinking and taking Mephedrine, known as Mcat, was a described as the drunkest person there.

She fell down the stairs in the house and Mr Johnson said that it may be part of the problem was that she was wearing very high-heels which when combined with vodka made it difficult for her to maintain her stability. "That my be significant."

The group walked to Manor Road station and Georgia, who carried her shoes there, she fell over in the station booking office.

When the train arrived at Meols station she got off followed by a friend but a passenger kept the door open and they got back on.

This was seen by McGee, who has been a train guard for 20 years, who had got off and walked the length of the train before getting back on to check the doors and "no doubt realising there was a drunken girl, probably more than one, on the train," claimed Mr Johnson.

Back on the train, where there was a party atmosphere, Georgia, from Moreton, fell over twice and had to be helped up.

When the train arrived at James Street Georgia was one of the last to disembark and when McGee realised she had fallen under the train he sent the emergency stop signal to the driver and the train halted after having travelled 33 metres.

Mr Johnson said that McGee, who was deeply shaken and upset, told a policeman that Georgia had been banging on the windows and doors of the train as it moved out of the station.

She fell onto the platform and between the platform edge and the train onto the lines beneath.

He later told a Merseyrail "guard standard manager" that at James Street he heard banging and saw Georgia banging on the windows so opened the doors to let her back on but she moved away so he closed them again and indicated for the driver to go.

He said she came back and started knocking on the windows and then fell and he indicated to the driver to stop.

Mr Johnson claimed McGee got that wrong and the jury would have to consider "whether this error was a honest mistake of a deeply shaken man or whether it was a deliberate attempt to try to explain away what we suggest was a grave crime he had committed."

Description: Georgia Varley
Attached picture GeorgiaVarley.jpg
Posted By: Dilly Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 11:47am
A very sad case, I know this man personally and don't think he has ever had a bad bone in his body, but obviously questions have to be asked. Rip Georgia.
Posted By: Zimmer Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 1:37pm

Will whoever provided this 16 year old with Alcohol and Methadrone be investigated for their part in this tragedy? IMO They should
Posted By: rossie Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 1:53pm
Agree zimmer also mersey rail needs to look at staffing levels doubt if there was only one incident to be dealt with that night. So sad.
Can i take this a bit further Might up set people by staying she took the alcohol and methadrone so is it not her fault...
Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 7:54pm
If she was in such a state as they said she was at Manor Road train station, should she not have been allowed to travel on the train for her own safety and someone with her should have taken her home. She could still have been alive today if someone with her had been sensible and taken her home instead of taking her to Liverpool to the clubs, after all she was only 16 years old and if she was in that state before the clubs, what state would she have been in at them and after them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 8:04pm
Originally Posted by Santos
If she was in such a state as they said she was at Manor Road train station, should she not have been allowed to travel on the train for her own safety and someone with her should have taken her home. She could still have been alive today if someone with her had been sensible and taken her home instead of taking her to Liverpool to the clubs, after all she was only 16 years old and if she was in that state before the clubs, what state would she have been in at them and after them.

Fazakerley !!

Nevertheless, a tragic end to a young life. Irrespective of who is to "blame" here, our thoughts must go out to the girl's parents. Hard to comprehend. RIP.
Posted By: starakita Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 8:34pm
It's a tragic event but there were people at the top of the chain that could have prevented this happening.She wouldn't have got into most of the clubs anyway & if she was so drunk she shouldn't have been allowed on the train she should have been taken home she may be alive today.
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 10:56pm
Originally Posted by ramy2007
Not being funny their are so many questions to be asked to just blame one man is a joke a young life has been lost and instead of people taking responsibility why not just blame someone doing their job. why was a 16 year old allowed girl out at 11pm drink high and out on the piss instead of at home with her family where she belonged

we live in a culture where blaming someone else make it all ok

I have to agree with you her my daughter is 16 and she is in at 8pm sunday to friday to thursday and 9pm on a friday and saturday.Am not stirck but i like to know were she is and that she is safe.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Nov 2012 11:16pm
Tragic tragic waste of a young girls life. frown

What pubs/ clubs served her or her friends? Who let her on to the station platform? Could a fellow passenger have intervened? so on and so forth
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Tragic tragic waste of a young girls life. frown

What pubs/ clubs served her or her friends? Who let her on to the station platform? Could a fellow passenger have intervened? so on and so forth
withthat
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 8:29am
Not the gaurds fault.

Just passing the blame on the gaurd bull***t.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 9:25am
Agree not the gaurds fault,alas we live in a world were blame comes first.
So from that it starts with the parents, her so called freinds who allowed her to get into the mess she was in.Those who servered her with drink.
My thoughts are with the family.
Posted By: golfvr Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 11:13am
I know a fair bit about this incident,
The guard cannot be blamed 100%, and to convict him would be a crime in itself.

Take out the underage alcohol/drugs + heels, this would not have happened.

God bless the young lass who lost her life, and my heart goes out to her family.... But dont look for a scapegoat in the guard.

Its awful that the guy is getting blamed for a tragic accident.
Its awful that the guy is getting blamed for a tragic accident.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 1:46pm
It is NOT ILLEGAL for a 16 year old to drink, it is Illegal in a public place under the age of 18.

I also believe that Mcat, mephadrone, meow meow or whatever you wish to call the drug in Georgia's system is a so called legal high, so nowworse than finding nicotine in someones system by law.

I have a 16 year old who is doing well at school, she is rewarded with trust and grown up responsabilities. Occasionally a few friends will meet up in someones house and the teenagers are allowed a few drinks with adults in attendence, all of those needing a lift home are sorted out so drunk teenagers are not left roaming the streets.

I am trying to say that what was found in Georgia's system is not illegal in anyway, what is wrong seems to have been the lack of adult supervision, the train guard also has a duty of care and I suppose that is why the case is in court and remember we are only hearing what is allowed, we wont ever see the CCTV (thankfully) to make a balanced view on whether he acted in a way that endangered passengers.

From all this I feel it was a terrible ACCIDENT (they seem to be not allowed any more) that could have been avoided many times before Georgia boarded the train. I dont think any one person is responsible for her death and just hope she is resting in peace and that the family find a way of moving forward.
Posted By: golfvr Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 2:10pm
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
It is NOT ILLEGAL for a 16 year old to drink.

I agree with that 100%,
BUT ....
Is it illegal for under 18s to buy drink?
and
Is Mcat legal for an underaged person?

So the supplier/buyer/mule must be in someway responcible.

I have 2 kids and believe when it comes to child safety. Prevention is better than cure...
Posted By: golfvr Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 2:16pm
Its such a waste of a life, frown frown frown frown

My daughter is near 9, and starting to get a teenage attitude!!!!, its so worring what the future has install for kids these days.

You can only protect them so much.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 3:07pm
Originally Posted by golfvr
It is NOT ILLEGAL for a 16 year old to drink.

I agree with that 100%,
BUT ....
Is it illegal for under 18s to buy drink?
and
Is Mcat legal for an underaged person?

So the supplier/buyer/mule must be in someway responcible.

I have 2 kids and believe when it comes to child safety. Prevention is better than cure...

The law says that children between the ages of 5-17 can consume alcohol at home or at a friends under adult supervision. 16-17 year olds may consume wine, beer but not shorts in a restraunt with a meal.

Mcat under 18's I dont know?

You say preventation is better than cure and of course it makes sense, but if you wrap them in cotton wool when the reach 18 and can do what they want they may have no idea on how to handle alcohol and be savvy enough to stay safe.

Being a parent is a huge reponsability, not just to the child but to the neighbourhood and society in whole. Thats why ifmy 16 works hard at studies we reward her with trust, she knows if she is ever drunk (we accept merry) then things will change. She is at the min expected to gain

1 A*
4 A's
3 B's

in her GCSE's at the end of this school year so we are happy, every child is different and some are far more street savvy than other's.

Back on topic I dont see why this man is in court, he was the last in a long chain who could have prevented this, at worse he is guilty of being niave.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 3:09pm

I feel it was a terrible ACCIDENT (they seem to be not allowed any more)

You're so right. These days there always needs to be someone to blame. There are still plenty of true accidents. From what I read of this sad story, the girl herself and her friends seem to be the ones at fault. It may not be illegal for someone of her age to drink, but I think it's still an offence for anyone of any age to be drunk in a public place.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 4:21pm
Meow meow known in the states as bath salts, makes people go crazy look it up.

Last case was some guy chomping on another mans face claiming he was lucifer. that chap was shot to death execution style by the LA police.

Kids shouldn't be allowed drugs full stop and that meow crap should be banned. Shame on any parent for letting their kids take drugs.
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Last case was some guy chomping on another mans face claiming he was lucifer. that chap was shot to death execution style by the LA police.

Not saying mephedrone is better or worse than any other drug but not to blame in the case you're citing (see here). I think that that guy had just been on the crazy bus for too long.
Posted By: peodude Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 6:39pm
meow meow is no longer a legal high, that was clamped down on last year and is now classed as a Class B drug.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 8:10pm
Meow meow known in the states as bath salts,

bath salts has just become a generic name as loads of them are labelled up as bath salts.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 8:16pm
Originally Posted by peodude
meow meow is no longer a legal high, that was clamped down on last year and is now classed as a Class B drug.

Was this before or after this incident?
Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 8:28pm
The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Amendment) Order 2010 was passed by parliament, making mephedrone and other substituted cathinones, Class B drugs from 16 April 2010. So it was well before this incident that it was made a Class B.

So she had taken an illegal drug, she was drunk and she was only 16,somebody or some others, other than the train guard should be in court too.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 8:35pm
It's hard to work out who is to blame and who is in the right. Like said above we thankfully will never see the CCTV of her death, but they have posted a photo of the few minutes before and that is enough.........http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2012-11-06/image-of-moment-before-teen-fell-under-train-released/
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 7th Nov 2012 11:09pm
That image is really quite disturbing to look at knowing what happened after it was taken.
Posted By: coco_n_co Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 12:31am
Call me old fashiond but why are peple trying to justify which drug was worse legal on non legal the person or persons who know the affect these drugs have on a persons state of mind after or during consumption of alcahol is wrong i dnt thik it is right to blame the train gaurd whom i do know and is a very distressed state to say the least y heart goes out to gorgias family and friends it is a tragic tragic incident but i do not agree with using anyone as a scape goat over tradgedy (rip gorgia x)
Its such a waste of a life, frown frown frown frown

My daughter is near 9, and starting to get a teenage attitude!!!!, its so worring what the future has install for kids these days.

You can only protect them so much.
dont blame you mate,
we just have to thank our lucky stars that we lead our kids up the right path.
with respect RIP Georgia xx
With a nice name like hers ,who could spell it wrong!!!!
Posted By: wellie111 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 10:04am
i know this man personally and know this man would never hurt anybody intentionally,the accident has really affected him deeply and i feel he is just being made a scapegoat,my heart goes out to georgias family [ RIP GEORGIA ]
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 10:44am
totally agree with you wellie111,this man was doing his job and i reckon if anybody else was in his situation they would have made the same decision as he did!!yes it was the wrong decision but he still should not be punished!!
My heart goes out to her parents x a very tragic accident
but when my daughter was 16 she was not allowed out at that time unless I knew all the details of where she was, who she was with and made sure I picked her up at an agreed time. yes she did have a drink when she was that age and got a bit drunk, most teenagers do at that age, but I always knew where she was I feel so sorry for the guy on trial as he was only doing his job and lets face it at that time off night in the city centre train stations there are lots of drunk people, the poor guard is only human! accidents happen Rant over.
Posted By: RedLance Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 12:30pm
I think that it is totally out of order that his address has been given out by the press all it takes is one nutter and we could have another tragedy
I am deeply ashamed to be British with the way our "justice" system handles cases like this.

A 14 year old boy who raped a 4 year old girl he was babysitting has just been allowed to walk free from court. Thousands of muggers, rapists, wife beaters and worse get lenient, if any, sentences every day across this country.

This poor guard did what he felt was right at the time. He perhaps assumed that Georgia would move away from the train, that her "friends" who had allowed her to become so off her face in the first plce would move her, that a passer by would intervene - who knows.

He already has to live with the what if's of the situation - that in itself is punishment enough for any man with a conscience.

I am not trying to take away from the fact that a beautiful young girl lost her life far too early and that her family will never get over this tragic accident - but that is all it should be classed as. A tragic, tragic accident which occurred after a chain of events for which no one person should be held solely accountable.

RIP Georgia and I sincerely hope that the courts do the right thing and allow the guard to try to piece his life back together after what he has had to witness and live through since that tragic day frown xx
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 9:46pm
well said Brittone15
Posted By: coco_n_co Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 9:49pm
Disgusted that they have given his address out its one rule for one and one for another in this country lets give all the peadophiles addresses out that have commited crimes NOOOO!!!! Cos theres to many of them dirt b******s but put a poor mans adress outwho has not yet been convicted i thought it was innocent until proven guilty tragic tradgedy in my book and if it wasnt christopher on gaurd duty that night another gaurd would most prob done exactly the same
totally agree coco n co I just hope justice is done and he gets found not guilty
Posted By: kevinhit Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 10:20pm
The train guard probably wont get convicted of manslaughter but more likely will have the health and safety book thrown at him.

Looking at the photos though, she was the only girl on the platform at the time,touching the windows, he shouldnt have let the train go when she was anywhere near it.
Posted By: gopher Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 10:33pm
He is being used as a scapegoat.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...year-old-died-on-tracks-100252-32189123/

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...e-was-run-over-by-train-100252-32189127/

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...-teen-fell-to-her-death-100252-32194981/
Posted By: gopher Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 8th Nov 2012 10:39pm
No justice just look at this it makes me sick!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...-13-child-porn-offences-100252-32188875/
Posted By: Zubee Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 9th Nov 2012 12:53am
There was a chain of responsibility for Georgias welfare. Her parents, her friends, the lady whose house she was drinking in and who suggested she should get a taxi home before they even left for Liverpool, the people who sold the train ticket to her, anybody at all who saw her very drunk on the platform, yes and the guard.

It's ridiculous and stinks of people looking for a scapegoat, to charge 1 man with this beautiful girls manslaughter.

There are lessons to be learned by all of us from this incredibly tragic incident.
Posted By: gopher Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 3:49pm
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...ury-begin-deliberations-100252-32233029/
Posted By: Stegga Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 4:54pm
This stinks, so what is it to be now then? I can do anything i want, get pissed take drugs and not be responsible for my own actions and cause untold misery so long as some other muggins is around to take the blame for me? Blame and claim culture Britain at its worst.
And what of the "duty of care" of the parents letting an underage girl out pissed up and on drugs?
Posted By: Zimmer Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 5:45pm
With reference to my earlier post regarding who could have provided the Drugs, if "Gareth" was still in the picture - going by the comments on this page it could well have been him

http://www.bebo.com/c/photos/view?M...p;PhotoId=9299272614#photoId=10663516834
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 5:59pm
Appauling decision !! (IMHO of course!) The Guard has been put through the wringer and hung out to dry. Who was it who said "The law is an Ass" ?? How right!

Posted By: Zubee Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 6:05pm
I hope his lawyers are appealing against this ludicrous decision.

I also hope that EVERYBODY involved that night shares his 'guilt'.
Enraging.
Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 7:02pm
Disgusting - my sympathies are with the Train Guard and his family.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 7:03pm
So wrong! Terrible decision.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 7:04pm
Words fail me, The Varleys will feel some perverse sort of victory tonight and may even be out celebrating in the bars of the wirral.
Next will be the financial element, let them remember "YOU "allowed your child to roam the streets as did her friends and famileys.
Never before have I felt so upset at such injustice.

Rip miss varley
I am very upset at what happened to this child. I am even more mad about her mothers justification. "She only did what every other teenager does". Speak for yourself missus, luckily my kids don't get pissed and stoned and act like that (thank God). Even if you think everyone does that, it doesn't make it right. You should have been more concerned about where you 16 year old child was and what she was up to.

It is a tragic and senseless death and it is no single persons fault.
Posted By: Clever1 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 8:23pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
I am very upset at what happened to this child. I am even more mad about her mothers justification. "She only did what every other teenager does". Speak for yourself missus, luckily my kids don't get pissed and stoned and act like that (thank God). Even if you think everyone does that, it doesn't make it right. You should have been more concerned about where you 16 year old child was and what she was up to.

It is a tragic and senseless death and it is no single persons fault.

Well said, saw her on news pretty much passing the blame for her crap ( or is that non existent) parenting skills. SHE needs a good kick up the jacksy.
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 9:15pm
I'm quite confused by the reactions to this conviction. The guy is clearly seen looking at the girl, knowing she is under the influence, leaning on the train and still gave the all clear to pull away.
Posted By: rossie Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 9:40pm
The problem is that every weekend kids are banging on trains and they jump back when the whistle goes.mersey rail should have been prosecuted for not manning stations. As far as appeals go they cost money which I suspect will be in short supply. Two wrongs dont make a right and I think it is unfair to cast slurs on mrs varley.i doubt that she is gloating grieving more like.teenagers do do daft things and very sadly Georgia has paid for it with her life.rip Georgia best wishes to the guard I hope your colleagues set up an appeal fund to which i would gladly contribute
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 9:45pm
I said earlier in this thread that I thought the guard was a scapegoat and still feel the same, I do also realise that NOT ALL transactions will be released to the public so if we knew all the facts then maybe some would feel slightly different.

Wouldn't judge/comment on her mothers parenting skills, so easy to say my kids dont do it,I never done it as many things affect the way we turn out in life, choices we make are in part from the society we live in, Georgia was 16, allowed to make her own decisions and choices and her parents in law would not be held accountable for her actions.

Whether people do feel the mother was wrong she will still be grieving so comments about celebrating are a bit off really. I would guess that the majority of posters here were drinking and getting drunk before our 18th so find it strange that a few are saying how wrong it was.

All in all I feel it was a tragic set of circumstances that led to a devestating end for Georgia's family and the guard who has been found guilty.

I hope both families and all involved eventually find some way of moving forward and living a life as normal as possible.
Posted By: Worzel Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 10:00pm
The words that really stick out to me from the 'mothers' quotes over the case :

"For he had very little, if any, regard at all for our daughter and her safety."

Really who would allow their daughter to go to a party where and not for the first time her friends said that she got so drunk on vodka that she couldnt control herself, she took drugs and at 16 was travelling to Liverpool to gain under age entry into a nightclub.

It was just a tragic accident that nobody wanted to happen in a million years, she could of just as easily been run over by a car or a bus in that state.

You cant just blame the guard, a lot of people let her down by allowing her to get into that state, including her friends, it sounds tough but that is the way it is.

R.I.P. Georgia

------------------------------------------------------
Speaking outside Liverpool Crown Court, Georgia Varley's mother, Paula Redmond, 41, said: "As a parent, Georgia was our only child. In fact, for me, she was my entire family.

"We have listened as our daughter was portrayed as being a drunken liability when, in all honesty, she did no more than what many teenagers do of a weekend - she went out to celebrate her friend's birthday.

"The only liability that night was a train guard whom Georgia had the catastrophic misfortune to encounter.

"For he had very little, if any, regard at all for our daughter and her safety.

Ms Redmond added: "May our baby girl finally rest in peace."
---------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 10:08pm
A lot more children 16 and under go out drinking than I think a lot of you realise. I know this as I was one of these. I did it for a good while without my parents even knowing as did the majority of kids in my school.

I don't think her age is really an issue. This could have happened to anyone at any age under the same circumstances.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 10:13pm
Originally Posted by Chorizo
A lot more children 16 and under go out drinking than I think a lot of you realise. I know this as I was one of these. I did it for a good while without my parents even knowing as did the majority of kids in my school.

I don't think her age is really an issue. This could have happened to anyone at any age under the same circumstances.

withthat
I agree with a lot of what has been said here, there are many people who must share responsibility for this tragic event not just the guard.

However, irespective of how much she had to drink and how 'high' she was at the time ( I am sure there are countless young people who go out and get drunk and high but still make it home safely), the only two people involved at the point where the accident happened were the guard and the victim.

It is the guard's responsibility to ensure the safety of the passengers on the Merseyrail system, it is obvious from the picture published that the guard had a clear view of Georgia as she leant against the train, he should have ensured that she was a safe distance away from the platform edge before giving the signal for the train to proceed, in that respect he must accept some responsibilty for Georgia's death. It is wrong that he alone has been charged with manslaughter (in my opinion), but it is also wrong to say that he was completely innocent of any negligence.

Posted By: DJDuck Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Nov 2012 11:20pm
Absolute disgrace that this poor man was prosecuted. How many inebriated youths does he have to deal with every night I ask myself. When I went on the lash to Liverpool in the 90's 00's as a teenager Police would patrol the platform to watch out for any trouble making drunks / trouble makers and deal with them.

Absolutely no sympathy here for families slagging off the guard, she really brought it on herself .FULL STOP. Take some resonspibilty of how your daughter behaved...not for the first time no doubt. A harsh lesson but don't hide behind condeming a decent man to prison to make you feel better.

Its not the guys job to shaperone a drunk person onto the train

If you chose to drape yourself on a train...beware the consequences.

Harsh but as most people will agree fair. If a drunk ran out in front of a car or leapt on it would it be the drivers fault....? No
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 7:04am
This is hardly the same as someone running out in front of a car. Maybe if someone was standing in front of the car and the driver decided it was safe to drive forwards it would be.

He gave to all clear when she was still in contact with the train and inside the yellow line.
Posted By: pebbles16 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 7:41am
Two people's lives have be have ruined here. The girls mother will never have her daughter back, and the merseyrail guard will probably never live a normal life again.
Posted By: rossie Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 10:30am
Five years sentence for a mistake god help him and his family
Posted By: golfvr Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 10:40am
I hope they appeal.

A lot to the case is based on the fact that the guard should'nt have given the all clear for the train to move when the lass had her hands on the train.

The guards appeal team, should head straight to Londons underground stations, and take 500 pics or video's IN ONE DAY of trains pulling away with commuters:-

1.Trying to force doors open.
2.Running next to the train with hands on.
3.Leaning on trains.

IF>......
London guards never closed the doors or moved trains when people where doing the above, The trains would never move and the capitol would go into meltdown. FACT
Posted By: OxenCurse Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 11:16am
This is insane, the guy should never be sent to jail. The mother speaking in the paper about how its normal behaviour... really? for her to be that drunk and on drugs at 16? that seems like parenting gone badly wrong and it ended in this.
Posted By: johnny Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 11:17am
that verdict is a bloody disgrace.... i sympathise with her family but going by her own friends statements of her alcohol intake and the drug intake on the night it is plain who holds the majority of the blame and it's not the guard
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 11:32am
Disgusting
Posted By: cherrypie Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 12:00pm
Absolutely disgusting...yes its tragic that a young girl lost her life, but to give the guard 5 years in jail is just disgraceful
As a mum of 2 teens, I don't agree that its what every normal 16yr old does of a weekend....or maybe this is just me?
I can't imagine what it feels like to lose a child in this way and do feel or her parents. But for the Guard to given the blame and imho used as a scapegoat in this tragic incident is just awful.
If someone, had god forbid pushed her would they have been given a longer sentence? I don't think so..
I really hope the guard appeals...he too has to live with what has happened, and no doubt his life will never be the same again..
Shame on Merseyrail for throwing the Guard out to the wolves, so long as your performance tables are good and the bosses receive their well earned....salaries all is good. Don't worry about the normal working man..Shame
on you.

Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 12:36pm
Originally Posted by Worzel

Speaking outside Liverpool Crown Court, Georgia Varley's mother, Paula Redmond, "The only liability that night was a train guard whom Georgia had the catastrophic misfortune to encounter.

Should be:
"The only liability that night was Georgia whom Christopher McGee had the catastrophic misfortune to encounter."

The world we live in seems to be changing day by day at the moment & not for the better.
Posted By: starakita Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 12:49pm
Originally Posted by OxtonHill
Originally Posted by Worzel

Speaking outside Liverpool Crown Court, Georgia Varley's mother, Paula Redmond, "The only liability that night was a train guard whom Georgia had the catastrophic misfortune to encounter.

Should be:
"The only liability that night was Georgia whom Christopher McGee had the catastrophic misfortune withthat withthat to encounter."

The world we live in seems to be changing day by day at the moment & not for the better.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 1:27pm
So a pedophile gets to walk free from court after abusing a 12 and 13 year old girl yet this poor man who was doing his job gets 5 years?

Something is clearly not right with this country.

This mans life is now in tatters, whoever passed that sentence should be ashamed.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 2:56pm
The verdict and sentence are just wrong, wrong wrong !!!

Snod
Posted By: leeboy1968 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 3:16pm
Originally Posted by cherrypie
Absolutely disgusting...yes its tragic that a young girl lost her life, but to give the guard 5 years in jail is just disgraceful
As a mum of 2 teens, I don't agree that its what every normal 16yr old does of a weekend....or maybe this is just me?
I can't imagine what it feels like to lose a child in this way and do feel or her parents. But for the Guard to given the blame and imho used as a scapegoat in this tragic incident is just awful.
If someone, had god forbid pushed her would they have been given a longer sentence? I don't think so..
I really hope the guard appeals...he too has to live with what has happened, and no doubt his life will never be the same again..
Shame on Merseyrail for throwing the Guard out to the wolves, so long as your performance tables are good and the bosses receive their well earned....salaries all is good. Don't worry about the normal working man..Shame
on you.

Totally agree
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 3:40pm
its sick and sad,we had a peadophile living next door to us(unbeknown to us until he went to prison)and he got 15 months for a second serious offence!!!!how can they justify that????
Posted By: organiser Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 4:14pm
totally agree and as far as I have seen and heard not one word of sympathy for the guard from either of the estranged parents of the unfortunate girl...a tragic tragic loss of life but I have to poit out that the guard did not put the girl on the train at hoylake..he did not supply her with the drug...he did not force her to take it..he did not shovel the drink down her throat..he is not the parent who should have been far more responsible for the whereabouts of a sixteen year old girl nor was he the responsible adult at the house of the "party" where Georgia had been drinking to excess and who should have seen how intoxicated she was and ensured her safe journey home..he is just the scapegoat.an absolute disgrace
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 4:19pm
Well said !!
Posted By: golfvr Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 4:28pm
I think the merseyrail staff should strike in support, I for one would back them 100%

Including the Tunnel staff, and I travel though the tunnel everyday at 5am and back at 6pm.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 4:44pm
I think the merseyrail staff should strike in support, I for one would back them 100%

Including the Tunnel staff, and I travel though the tunnel everyday at 5am and back at 6pm.

Tunnel staff work for Merseytravel, not Merseyrail. I imagine that Merseyrail Guards will be working to rule though now. There is also possible strike action coming up over a Guard being fired a few weeks ago for "improper use of a mobile phone".

Disgusted by the verdict. He was certainly guilty of negligence. He should never have given the bell to the driver whilst the girl was leaning against the train. But manslaughter? No. My Dad was a train driver for almost 50 years and worked with Christopher for 20. He said these type of incidents happen EVERY week - drunks having near misses.
Christopher McGee was unlucky in that his mistake led to a fatality.

Hope this goes to appeal and the sentence is reduced. I think his union, ASLEF, is already on the case.

This isn't over by any stretch. Now the criminal trial is over, the Board of Trade or Health & Safety Executive will step in with their own investigation.
Posted By: wellie111 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 6:07pm
i cant see how one person can be blamed for this very sad accident but the verdict is disgusting i have watched him crumble day by day,he has struggled with what happened for 13 months and still is he would never hurt anyone in any way and people who know chris would understand what i am saying,he was gutted over the whole thing and i hope merseyrail come out on strike its an absolute disgrace.
Posted By: liz50 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 6:39pm
i agree with all of the above, and yes it isnt over , i think merseyrail managers should be on a station platform late at night to see what goes on and how many safety rules are broken.
why are so many people allowed onto the platforms with no staff down there to see whats going on??
another accident waiting to happen,, well i hope the guards and station staff get tough on these drunks.. there wont be many trains running to time from now on....
I was appalled at reading this in the paper! I don't see how anyone can even have the heart or nerve to place the blame on this guard who has worked for merseyrail for 15 years! I hope and pray that this guard is not falsely convicted for this atrocious accusation. Of course I have a heart and I feel terrible for Georgia and her family but there is no need for this, it happened and people are just going to have to deal with this tragedy.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Nov 2012 7:18pm
for all who are interested please sign this petition to help with his appeal http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/free-chris-mcgee/
Posted By: MissWooster18 ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 15th Nov 2012 7:46pm
5 YEARS! WHAT A JOKE! PEOPLE GET LESS THAN THAT FOR GBH OR HIT AND RUN OR SIMPLY MURDER! WHAT A JOKE HE IS AN INNOCENT MAN AND SHOULD NOT BE IN THIS POSITION.

I want to know are there any petitions to sign for him???
Posted By: princessxx Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 15th Nov 2012 8:00pm
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/free-chris-mcgee/
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 15th Nov 2012 8:07pm
Signed !!
Posted By: Rover1 Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 15th Nov 2012 8:23pm
I signed
Posted By: princessxx Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 15th Nov 2012 9:39pm
could i asked those of u who have signed if u have a facebook or twitter or anything like that could u share the link on ur page we need people to see this and sign sign sign x
Posted By: oscarpops Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 15th Nov 2012 10:08pm
I signed
Posted By: Tilly Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 15th Nov 2012 11:47pm
Totally wrong to blame Chris Ge for this unfortunate accident. I have known him for many years.
Her parents and friends could of avoided this tragic accident if they had taken responsibility for their daughters/friend actions on that fateful night..

(R.I.P) Georgia Varley. Tragic waste of a beautiful child. x

signed petition too.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 12:40am
Signed.
Posted By: gippy Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 1:39am
Guard was guilty of causing a young girls death, got what he deserved.
Posted By: granny Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 2:12am
Five Years ?? Unbelievable, totally unbelievable! My sympathies are with the poor chap. Do we know how many continuous man hours he had worked, which affects judgement, late at night. Knowing Mersey Travel, it would have been a long shift . The other thing is, why was the girl allowed onto the train anyway. If she was so bad, she should have been stopped. I suppose the manning of stations is also questionable, therefore, it is surely not to point the finger at one person alone. I would like to know who his lawyer was, because they didnt do much for this poor fellow. That sentence will stay with him for the rest of his life, near enough. Although, there's many a good soul around here and if he is kept in mind, I am sure someone would help him eventually get back on his feet. A sad case for everyone but completely unecessary, drawn out suffering for his family. Five years...disgusting, for an error of judgement. Pre-meditated murder gets less. I fail to understand how this sentence will be helpful to anyone.
Posted By: devilwoman Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 6:28am
Totally agree granny.Petition also signed.Hope it helps get this man some justice.
Can someone tell me where i can find this petition.I also feel sorry for the driver and his family.The girl had been drinking and took drugs.. so does that mean the police should go after the people who sold her booze and the drug and should her friends be done for not looking after her.. The driver has been made a scapegoat..
Posted By: organiser Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 7:43am
interesting second only post by gippy!!!!!!!!

I have signed the petition
Posted By: RedLance Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 7:58am
Signed.
Gutted for Chris, I have known him for about 10 years and he is a great bloke, this was a terrible accident and that is exactly what it was an accident he shoudln't have been hung for this, surely the Merseyrail cameras would have seen her in this state and should have acted. Her friends and family should take more responsibility for this, not gang up on Chris just to ease their conscience
Posted By: organiser Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 8:21am
this is on the front page of Mersey Magazine

IF YOU BELIEVE THE PRISON SENTENCE PASSED ON TRAIN GUARD CHRISTOPHER McGEE IS A MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE WAS A TRAGIC ACCIDENT , MERSEY MAGAZINE INVITES YOU TO SIGN THE FOLLOWING PETITION

Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 9:23am

Posted By: BigBadBorisJ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:22am
Signed... chav bint causes trouble and dies... normal bloke spends 5 years in prison.

I'll stop ranting because what I have to say will undoubtedly cause arguments.
Posted By: BigBadBorisJ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:24am

Fcuk off.

Won't be giving you anything.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:28am
Originally Posted by BigBadBorisJ

Fcuk off.

Charming
Posted By: organiser Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:33am
bigbadboris can you please explain your last post
Posted By: BigBadBorisJ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:39am
Originally Posted by Tilly

Fcuk off.

Charming

Went to sign it in good faith... asked me for donation...

Posted By: BigBadBorisJ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:40am
Originally Posted by organiser
bigbadboris can you please explain your last post

Maybe i got it wrong?

I signed it, then it asked for donation.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:42am
Boris watch your language please.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:44am
I never asked u too if u dont agree dont sign there are plenty more people who agree with the petition so how about u keep ur comments to urself
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:45am
u dont need to donate ur signature is already counted by that point u just ignore that bit x
Posted By: BigBadBorisJ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:55am
Originally Posted by princessxx
u dont need to donate ur signature is already counted by that point u just ignore that bit x

ok thankx well ive signed it twice then laugh x
Posted By: BigBadBorisJ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:55am
Boris watch your language please.

watch'd lad wink
Posted By: gopher Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 12:13pm
SIGNED
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 12:43pm
Signed
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 12:56pm
Originally Posted by gippy

I strongly disagree with you here.

So what will happen now a new law thats says if you are drunk you are not allowed on any form of public transport.
there are a few people to blame for her death and the guard was not one of them.
Perhaps if she was at home were she should of been none of this would of happened.
Who gave her the drugs she had taken
who gave her the money to go out
who sold/supplied her with alchol
clearly she was under age
It was a tragic accident and while i feel a little sad for her parents,It makes me so angry that one man has been blamed and sent to prison for 5 years.
there should be a public outcry and he should not be in prison

Fcuk off.

No need to give anything except your signature in support of Chris & common justice which you will have done if you reach the donation page .
Posted By: DJDuck Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 1:15pm
SIGNED
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 1:41pm
Signed and shared - totally apalled at the sentence. This poor guy has become a statistic and nothing more. He didn't murder this girl - there were lots of people who should be held accountable.

As for her mother - "doing what most teenagers do" - maybe teenagers whose parents don't give a hoot or parents who are so gullible to beleive that they are having jelly and ice cream with a responsible adult!

Will share the petition daily to keep it at top of my FB feed and will ask my friends to do the same.

Posted By: Gibbo Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 1:43pm
Originally Posted by Zelda2012
So what will happen now a new law thats says if you are drunk you are not allowed on any form of public transport.

I thought that was already in place. I've seen drunk people refused access to stations in Liverpool and then arguing with the staff how they're going to get home to Wirral and beyond.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...ed-incidents-on-network-100252-30511104/

Yet, on the flip side I've been down on the platform on Friday nights and seen loads of loud drunks staggering about.

Anyway, petition signed. I can't really add to what's already been said about responsibility from everyone who had contact with the girl before she got to the station.
Originally Posted by brittone05
He didn't murder this girl

There's always a bunch of plonkers who haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Posted By: BigBadBorisJ Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 2:01pm

there are a few people to blame for her death and the guard was not one of them.

Yes he was.

See my comment above.

He just wasn't THE person to blame.
Posted By: gippy Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 2:52pm

I strongly disagree with you here.

Perhaps if she was at home were she should of been none of this would of happened.
Who gave her the drugs she had taken
who gave her the money to go out
who sold/supplied her with alchol
clearly she was under age
It was a tragic accident and while i feel a little sad for her parents,It makes me so angry that one man has been blamed and sent to prison for 5 years.
there should be a public outcry and he should not be in prison

The guards job is to ensure the safe passage of people in their care.
He knew Georgia was drunk, he knew she was leaning on the train,
and he still gave the all clear signal to the driver.

This wasn't a gang of drunken men, it would have taken him seconds to let her back on
or ensure she was away from the platform edge.

Georgia was not under age, she was of legal age to be drinking and the drug she had taken wasn't illegal.

If he had done his job, she would not have died.

Liverpool Echo
Posted By: brittone05 Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 2:59pm
Bad choice of terminology on my post - apologies Boris for being a "plonker". Least I can be confident that I am not rude in respect to other members though.

Gippy - I thought drinking under the age of 16 and being in public was illegal ( I know she has apparently only consumed indoors but i thought it was only wine that she could consume legally with a prent present? Forgive me lack of knowedge on the laws of drinking. My kids aren't allowed period be it with me or not! )

I also thought someone had posted the legal standing on Mephedrone - it is a class B drug as far as I know from other posters xx
Posted By: princessxx Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 3:04pm
yep mcat is illegal here is a link to clarify x

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8623958.stm

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 3:49pm
I'll sign later
Posted By: leeboy1968 Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 6:05pm
Have a read of today's Metro paper, looks like a lot of support for chris all over the country.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 6:28pm
Signed. RIP Georgia.

See we're getting even more nutters on site, no wonder the old hands are thinning out on here.
seeyu
Posted By: TheDr Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 6:46pm
Originally Posted by leeboy1968
Have a read of today's Metro paper, looks like a lot of support for chris all over the country.

I noticed that this morning, it seems that anyone that knew her is angry, and they focus that anger on the guard, which is understandable, however anyone who can look at it in a detached manner seems to be of the view that the sentence, and perhaps even the conviction, is wrong.
Posted By: princessxx Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 6:50pm
the same judge that sentenced christopher let these brutes go free were is the justice now? x http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...arket-worker-who-tried-to-stop-them.html
Posted By: starakita Re: ANY PETITIONS FOR CHRISTOPHER MCGEE??? - 16th Nov 2012 7:55pm
when we came back from London the other week there was a fella trying to get through the barrier but the staff wouldnt let him as he was drunk but not that drunk.On saying that how many drunks do you get on the tunnel bus & there's only a driver on that.
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 7:58pm
It was a very sad accident, the guard should not be blamed and should certainly not be in prison. A 16 year old (equivalent of at least 8 pints and drugs) - come on people.

If I were the drivers and guards on merseyrail I would now refuse to move any trains with drunks on...
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 16th Nov 2012 11:45pm
Ok we know she should have not been on drugs and that drunk, But Merseyrail should never have let her on the train or on to the station platform in the first place.

I'm not saying he is to blame 100% but he should have never given the signal for that train to leave, he should have got security to have her removed from the station end of.
Posted By: Clever1 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 6:16am
Signed.
Posted By: Elyth Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 1:00pm
I've signed and I am in full support of the guard. It is sad situation. The trouble these days is that some parents try to be too much like friends to their child, letting them go out and drink when in all they just need some discipline and structure. My mother never let me go out at that age and I always disliked her for it but looking back I am glad she was like that with me. At that age you are irresponsible.
Signed
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 5:35pm
Hi guys please can u like this facebook page if u have it and leave any positive comments for Christopher so his family can see people are supporting him x www.facebook.com/SupportForChristopherMcGee?fref=ts
i dont have FB but will ask daughter's later when they get in from work .
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 9:28pm
MCAT is illegal now but at the time of this incident it was legal.

How people can say he has no blame is beyond me. He gave the signal to move the train whilst she was leaning on it and showing now sign of moving away. He may be a good guy and but jail is the only option.

Saying its this person's fault and that persons is stupid. Are we going to start blaming the person who sold her the shoes because they hindered her balance?

In my eyes he is the main cause of her death.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 9:38pm
No matter what she was on or what she had drank...he should never have given the signal for the train to move off, there was no one blocking his view of her, she was the only person on the platform and he could clearly see she was leaning on the train !!!!
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 9:53pm
what people are saying is there were ALOT of factors on the night that people should or shouldnt have done!!!and yes he made the decision to move the train but he has to live with that decision for the rest of his life!!the pubs where she had been drinking have broke the law by serving this girl,also she was suposidly falling over in the ticket office so if she was in that state should the guards at the ticket office have let her down near a electric train track????a taxi driver certainly wouldn't take anybody in that state so why should she be allowed near a train track!!!!so in fact it was a number of errors that caused her death that night and not fair to lay the blame with one man!!merseyrail as a whole failed!
Posted By: Elyth Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 10:08pm
I've seen people leaning on the train before saying good bye to their friends and when it starts moving they actually move back! it was her fault for being so drunk and drug fueled that she couldn't even stay steady. It's not anyone's fault but the mothers to make sure her 16 year old didn't get in this state. Like i said in an earlier post children at that age need discipline and authority figures to guide them, not "friends" as parents that let them go out getting pissed and drugged up. Liverpool is a dangerous place of a night when going out drinking it's no place for a 16 year old girl....
Posted By: Zubee Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 10:25pm
The guard was the last person to let her do as she pleased so he has to take some responsibilty for this.

But what about all of the people who contributed to the state she was in and where she ended up? On a train platform drunk and drugged? They also let her do as she pleased, where was their concern for her welfare?

Surely it's unjust to convict just one man for this tragic incident?
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 10:45pm
McGee had received a police caution in 2009 for growing nine cannabis plants at his home in Wallasey, Wirral from what I've seen if he didn't give the signal to go she would still be alive. Everyone is going on about her being on drugs what about him
Posted By: Elyth Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 10:49pm
That's what got her into that state drink and drugs and that's what caused her death so it will be talked about a lot. So it's started then, dragging up the past... Regardless of what he did in the past it had nothing to do with what happened
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 11:04pm
it was a caution and they were not his plants and he has to take random drugs test in work so dont u think if he was on drugs it would have been detected? and lets face it pot is nothing in comparison to mcat not that am condoning drugs i just dont like to see this used against him x
Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 11:31pm
[quote=Chorizo]MCAT is illegal now but at the time of this incident it was legal.

The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Amendment) Order 2010 was passed by parliament, making mephedrone and other substituted cathinones, Class B drugs from 16 April 2010. So it was well before this incident that it was made a Class B.

So it was illegal for her to have taken it.
Posted By: _Moretonlad_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Nov 2012 11:35pm
No the main people responsible are the Parents and her friends. Parents for allowing her go out to drink at the age of 16, and her friends for allowing her to get in that state and allowing her anywhere near a train!

Don't get me wrong the guard was to blame in some way, but if her parents and friends looked after her properly the guard wouldn't of ended up in prison and she would of still been alive! You can't just sentence 1 person when there is many factors!

MCAT is illegal now but at the time of this incident it was legal.

How people can say he has no blame is beyond me. He gave the signal to move the train whilst she was leaning on it and showing now sign of moving away. He may be a good guy and but jail is the only option.

Saying its this person's fault and that persons is stupid. Are we going to start blaming the person who sold her the shoes because they hindered her balance?

In my eyes he is the main cause of her death.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 19th Nov 2012 8:47am
On Saturday I went up the fellas on guard duty at the gates at Moorfields and told them of the level of support and feelings of people on this site, and they offered their thanks and appreciation.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 19th Nov 2012 9:06am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
On Saturday I went up the fellas on guard duty at the gates at Moorfields and told them of the level of support and feelings of people on this site, and they offered their thanks and appreciation.

happy
Posted By: gippy Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 20th Nov 2012 10:26am
Glad to see there are some sane people on here.

A child over 5 can drink alcohol at home,
and an adult can buy you alcohol in pubs etc if you're 16 and over.

It is not illegal to be under the influence of the drug, even though it was banned a few months before.

Georgia had not broken any law.

It is illegal to grow cannabis plants though, and if they weren't for his own use, he must have been dealing.

Even if a person is paralytic on drink and sky high on kitchen vim with a
blind parrot on their head,
if they are leaning on the train, the guard should not have gave the all clear.

What if he'd killed someone who was leaning on the train because they were disabled,
or someone who'd had their drink spiked or an elderly person in distress?

His job and duty is to make sure it's safe for the train to move, it wasn't.

He is guilty of manslaughter and deserved a prison sentence.
Five years may seem harsh to some, but that's because they compare it to poor
sentecing in murder cases.

His actions caused someone to die, he'll serve 30 months and get on with his life.
Georgia's family and friends will serve a life sentence.

People who are jumping on the bandwagon and defending him should be ashamed.

One simple question, should he have given the all clear signal? ................NO

Posted By: Gibbo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 20th Nov 2012 2:33pm
I wonder whom the family would blame if Georgia had died in some other way through the drink and drugs she consumed?

Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 20th Nov 2012 7:15pm
Georgia's so called friends deserve to serve a life sentence as they could have stopped it all happening if they had looked after her properly in the first place and made her go home and not to Liverpool. If she was that bad going to the clubs how bad was she going to become had she got into the clubs, a lot worse without doubt. If the clubs had refused her entry what would have happened then, it does not really bear thinking about, a pretty girl, drunk unable to help herself in Liverpool City Centre in the early hours of the morning.

The so called friends have found a very nice scapegoat thank you and will all persuade themselves that it was nothing to do with them as it was the guard who was responsible not them. Yeah right. They should be ashamed of themselves.

One simple question... Should she have got on the train at all ? ........ NO.

One simple question... Should she have got on the train at all ? ........ NO.

Well said .
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 20th Nov 2012 8:28pm
Another simple question.

Should he have given the signal for the train to move? NO!
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 20th Nov 2012 8:40pm
This can go on forever this thread needs closing out of respect for the parents as none off us where in the court to hear the full story without the full facts we are only speculating
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Nov 2012 1:58pm
Another simple question.

Should he have given the signal for the train to move? NO!

But what about all the other people further up in this chain who could have prevented it -

Should the staff have refused her access to the station - yes.

Should her friends had taken more care of her - yes.

Should her family done more to warn her of the dangers of drugs and alcohol, especially combined - yes.

Should Georgia have not put drink and drugs in her mouth - yes.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Nov 2012 5:47pm
joke, its ridiculous he went to jail, not his fault the kid couldnt handle her drink and took all kinds of drugs, as if he can be held responsible. Totally disgusting!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Nov 2012 7:03pm
You only have to read the comments in the Liverpool echo to see what people think.

We all know this was wrong, let's hope something works out for the poor guy.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Nov 2012 1:01pm
Perhaps the Facebook campaign group could get some stickers made up? It would certainly make the gate staff know the level of feeling and support for their fellow worker.
Posted By: gippy Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Nov 2012 1:37pm
....a pretty girl, drunk unable to help herself in Liverpool City Centre in the early hours of the morning.

You're so right, she would have deserved to be attacked.

And it would have been her own fault, if she was drunk.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Nov 2012 1:38pm
I've been following this thread for a while, and whilst I agree that the guard has a responsibility for the train, it is also true the he is not alone in the blame train (excuse the pun) that led to this tragedy.

Reading the papers throughout the UK the majority seem to support the guard, there have been a few that shout how he deserved it, but they all appear to know the young girl personally, so if somebody else has the blame, they don't need to shoulder any responsibility.

If everyone REALLY wants to show support for this man then it would need to be something that gets attention, and it could be something extremely simple.

No guard in their right mind now will allow a train to leave if some is standing too close to it, or even touching it. What is needed is a #touchthetrain demonstration.

If enough people get involved all they would have to do is stand on a platform with their hand on the train, or even just stand close to it, the guard isn't going to let it go, and if enough people around the country did it around the same time/same day, the domino effect of delays would throw the entire network into chaos.

It just depends if people are truly behind him and the inconvenience of the many gives support to the one.
Posted By: gippy Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Nov 2012 1:41pm
Originally Posted by neilmcc
This can go on forever this thread needs closing out of respect for the parents as none off us where in the court to hear the full story without the full facts we are only speculating

Agree, but the people riding the bandwagon are making flags and stickers as we speak.
Posted By: gippy Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Nov 2012 1:48pm
Originally Posted by TheDr

No guard in their right mind now will allow a train to leave if some is standing too close to it, or even touching it. What is needed is a #touchthetrain demonstration.

No they wouldn't because that would be gross negligence and may result in someones death........oh hang on
Posted By: Zubee Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Nov 2012 12:43am
Gippy, I will ask the question that everyone seems to be avoiding. Are you family or a friend of Georgia?

I don't think anybody on this site has tried to say that the train guard did his job properly on the night that this beautiful young girl died.

IMHO I think a lot of people feel that he wasn't the ONLY person at fault. Yes, he had the final call, but everyone involved with Georgia on that fateful evening must be questioning themselves?

Please don't apportion all of the blame on one man.
Posted By: granny Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Nov 2012 2:02am
His actions caused someone to die, he'll serve 30 months and get on with his life.
Georgia's family and friends will serve a life sentence.

Yes,tragically Georgia's family will always suffer from her loss but if you think that Christopher McGee and his family will ever be set free,you are very mistaken.He will also carry that burden for the rest of his life.That is his life sentence. Exo.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 24th Nov 2012 7:39pm
Guys please keep sharing and signing x http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/free-chris-mcgee/
It should be classed as a Mis Adventure leading up to a death. So thoughts go to both families. But, I will say this. It is a culmination of actions which lead to the sad endings. We can all say ifs and buts. The guard should not be blamed. Ripple effect. The guard will live with this tragedy all his life. The 16 year old knew what she was doing when she first drank or took anything. These teenagers are aware of effects of substance abuse, it is part of the PHSE life lessons in schools.
Posted By: markjw Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 25th Nov 2012 10:35am
I have refrained from commenting until now with regard to this tragedy.

Firstly, my thoughts go out to Georgia's family.

Secondly, although the train guard made a mistake, you have to question if he was directly responsible for solely causing the death. Normally when a train is in the station, people near the train step back and let the train leave.
Unfortunately, due to a combination of circumstances Georgia was in no fit state to act rationally and this resulted in the death.
If the train guard has a duty of care to Georgia (especially because of her age) then others also bear responsibility for allowing her to get in that state. And Georgia bears some responsibility herself - unfortunately she paid the price.

Thirdly, for those insisting it was all the guard's fault. The appropriate response now would be for Merseyrail staff to not allow anybody looking as though they may be under the effects of alcohol to be allowed on station premises or trains.

As you can imagine though, this would result in 95% of passengers after 9pm not being allowed to get the train.

I think that, as others have stated previously, that this is just a tragic accident. It is a bit like prosecuting a train company when a teenager trespasses on a railway line and is electrocuted.
Posted By: gopher Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 27th Nov 2012 1:46pm
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...death-of-georgia-varley-100252-32316133/
Typical , just like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted .

what people dont realise was this man was cleared of all charges against him by Merseyrail and given a commendation on how he handled the tragic accident that night yet none of this was used in his trail?!
Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd Dec 2012 5:08pm
what people dont realise was this man was cleared of all charges against him by Merseyrail and given a commendation on how he handled the tragic accident that night yet none of this was used in his trail?!

Thats interesting, is it public knowledge because if it is, it should be made known to a wider amount of people and it will help the petition.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd Dec 2012 6:59pm
barstard

That's really unfair.
Posted By: gopher Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Dec 2012 2:05am
Lots that the public don't know or the jury for that matter
Posted By: Katryn Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Dec 2012 10:04pm
Originally Posted by Angharad111
It should be classed as a Mis Adventure leading up to a death. So thoughts go to both families. But, I will say this. It is a culmination of actions which lead to the sad endings. We can all say ifs and buts. The guard should not be blamed. Ripple effect. The guard will live with this tragedy all his life. The 16 year old knew what she was doing when she first drank or took anything. These teenagers are aware of effects of substance abuse, it is part of the PHSE life lessons in schools.

the guard give the signal for the train t go even though he could clearly see Georgia was leaning against the train. Even if she wasnt leaning against the train she was still not on the right side of the yellow line.
He shouldnt of give the signal for the train to go.
He is at fault.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Dec 2012 11:25pm
I think a lot of the anger and frustration is that the guard was put in the position where his "negligence" in his duty resulted in Georgias death.
Heard the bus driver who was involved in a accident killing a teenager (Tollemache Rd) commited suicide.
Have written to the train guard to let him know a lot of folk are supportive (without being judgemental either way)
Posted By: granny Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Dec 2012 11:35pm

The whole affair is a terrible tragedy. I wonder that if Merseyrail had not cleared him of all charges, or given him a commendation, could it have been that they too, would have had questions to answer?

A style of self preservation!

Well done fish for letting him know, on behalf of others. Thanks, let's hope it helps him in some small way.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Dec 2012 11:44pm
Katryn, the guard may have been at fault but so were many others, only the guard has been on trial that means everyone else can sleep with a clear conscience. NO!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 4th Dec 2012 7:19am
Unbelievable.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 11th Dec 2012 8:45am
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/free-chris-mcgee/ please guys keep sharing the link to the petition where you can x
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 18th Dec 2012 7:30am
Guys please spare a thought for christopher at xmas x
Posted By: Pete_M Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 18th Dec 2012 9:02am
Have sent Chris a Christmas card, hope he goes for an appeal,wins and gets some sort of normality back in his life. A decent man who should never of been convicted of manslaughter.
Posted By: granny Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 18th Dec 2012 11:33am
'Hope' is a wonderful thing, so they say, it does keep spirits up a little.
Can't imagine how he must be feeling at the moment.

Can't imagine how the person who gave this particular sentence, will be able to enjoy his Christmas dinner.

AIso, considering Mereyrail gave Christopher such a high commendation,I wonder if a representative from Mersyrail, is likely to pay him a vist over the Christmas season. Probably not, too busy with the office parties!

This will be his worst time I am sure, but he may be able to look forward to some time at home next year. They do let them have home visits after a certain length of time, don't they?

There are some on this forum doing a great job in keeping Christopher in the public eye. It is too easy for us to forget and move on. I hope we can all try to keep him in our thoughts from time to time, if not everyday. Just a way of positive thoughts being transferred.

At the same time, we should have thoughts for Georgia's family and offer comfort where we can, in a situation that can never be rectified.
For them, this will be a desperate time of year and I hope that they too, will be given comforting thoughts and wishes.

There is too mcuh sadness and pain in this world.
Posted By: gopher Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 18th Dec 2012 12:56pm
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 19th Dec 2012 4:02pm
thank u for ur kind words i have shared them on facebook and had a great response its nice to know people are thinking of him at xmas x
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 27th Dec 2012 9:24pm
hope everyone had a good xmas ours just wasn't the same without Christopher sitting at the table xx
Posted By: RedLance Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 28th Dec 2012 12:55pm
Hi Princess hope you all had a nice xmas even without Chris. Lets all hope the he's home soon.
He is a truly nice fella who doesn't deserve this.
Posted By: wellie111 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 29th Dec 2012 11:22am
three of gees mates went to see him yesterday and hes doin just fine considering what he has to cope with, they told him about the support hes getting off his friends and his family and says thanks to everyone for thinking of him.Gee is such a lovely guy and doesnt deserve this.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 30th Dec 2012 6:20pm
I hope the inmates are giving him an easy time and feel the same way as the rest of us.
Posted By: Pickle Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 30th Dec 2012 7:43pm
I hope Chris and his family soon have better times to look forward to.Chris should never have received such an unjust sentence,can only send him our support and hope justice prevailed ASAP.
Good luck to the future Chris
Posted By: gopher Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 1st Jan 2013 2:12pm
Good luck Chris, thinking of you mate.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...a-guard-to-lodge-appeal-100252-32524190/
Posted By: valli Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 1st Jan 2013 11:04pm
Thanks Wiki for having access to petition to help free train guard Chris.Many factors were to blame in this tragic case.Its easy for us to judge, but how many of us hand on heart can say we never got tipsy as teenagers Or dared to do things cos our friends were doing it.There for the grace of God, or we were lucky depending on personal beliefs'to get a way with our escapades.I hope Chris is released soon on appeal.Georgia"s family are heartbroken and will never get over losing their child.But jailing Chris is not the answer.Make station platforms safer.for all.
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Jan 2013 9:23am
hope appeal goes well - good luck
Posted By: RedLance Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Jan 2013 12:18pm
Good luck to Chris with his appeal yes
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Jan 2013 12:49pm
I would just like to thank you all for ur support lets hope Gee is home soon smile x
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Jan 2013 8:07pm
Well it looks like merseyrail are going for a ban on booze is this too little too late? x
Posted By: granny Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 14th Jan 2013 10:38pm
Are they?

National Railway Byelaws (2005)

This is the specific Byelaw

4. Intoxication and possession of intoxicating liquor

(1) No person shall enter or remain on the railway where such person is unfit to enter or remain on the railway as a result of being in a state of intoxication.

(2) Where reasonable notice is, or has been, given prohibiting intoxicating liquor on any train service, no person shall have any intoxicating liquor with him on it, or attempt to enter such a train with intoxicating liquor with him.

(3) Where an authorised person reasonably believes that any person is unfit to enter or remain on the railway, or has with him intoxicating liquor contrary to Byelaw 4(2), an authorised person may:

(i) require him to leave the railway; and
(ii) prevent him entering or remaining on the railway until an authorised person is satisfied that he has no intoxicating liquor with him and/or is no longer in an unfit condition.

Byelaw 4.1 and 4.3 (ii) seem pretty clear on the matter.

Posted By: RedLance Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 15th Jan 2013 8:29am
they have loads of bye laws but hardly none are adhered to,they don't have enough staff to monitor all the stations and sadly more tragedies will happen because of this.
FREE CHRIS GEE.
Even if a person is paralytic on drink and sky high on kitchen vim with a blind parrot on their head, if they are leaning on the train, the guard should not have gave the all clear.

Originally Posted by Katryn
the guard give the signal for the train to go even though he could clearly see Georgia was leaning against the train. Even if she wasnt leaning against the train she was still not on the right side of the yellow line.
He shouldnt of give the signal for the train to go.
He is at fault.

This is it in a nutshell.

I don't understand how people don't get this, it's not hard to understand is it?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 9:39am
I agree, StrontiumDog; the guard must at least share the blame. Having said that, I think the sentence too harsh, but I wasn't there to hear all the evidence.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 11:42am
Yes the blame should have been shared, but no it was put on one mans shoulders, and the sentence was too harsh considering what some scrotes get sentenced for blatant acts of violence.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 11:53am
This video evidence is a "still" taken from a time lapse video, the still shown in the papers was not from the moment that the guard gave the ready to start signal. The picture is very misleading.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 12:55pm
Originally Posted by Stegga
This video evidence is a "still" taken from a time lapse video, the still shown in the papers was not from the moment that the guard gave the ready to start signal. The picture is very misleading.

Fazakerley !!
Posted By: Salmon Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 1:18pm
That is an interesting bit of information and does make a massive difference to the whole case.
Posted By: Hotfuzz Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 3:55pm
Well it looks like merseyrail are going for a ban on booze is this too little too late? x

Got to be careful how I put this.....

If the above quote is followed through it would be interesting to see how they are going to deal with major events on their network such as the Grand National and Orange Lodge marches were a lot of alcohol is consumed before they travel.

Will the rules be relaxed by the 'bosses' on those days??

Discuss people.
Posted By: rocks Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 4:51pm
its been drummed into our heads for years as "dont drink and drive use public transport"
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 21st Jan 2013 9:03pm
Originally Posted by rocks
its been drummed into our heads for years as "dont drink and drive use public transport"

withthat
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 12:56pm
Can I ask have u read the R.A.I.B report?? Might be an idea if u did then maybe u would understand a bit more http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/reports_2012/report222012.cfm.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 3:19pm
I've read all 45 pages of the report, from which it seems clear that the guard was at least partly to blame for the accident. It seems that he failed to ensure that the victim was in a safe position before sending the start signal. There are clearly other contributory factors and the sentence seems unjustly harsh. I wish him well on appeal, but surely he can't be completely exonerated.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 6:08pm
He shouldn't have been held solely responsible in the first place! HAd other people involved in that tragic evening acted more responsibly then there would be nothing to exonerate him for frown xx
Posted By: j_demo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 6:12pm
this discussion still happening???
Posted By: chriskay Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 7:19pm
Originally Posted by jawide
this discussion still happening???

Doh! obviously.
Next rhetorical question please.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 8:32pm
yeah cause people actually do care about this man and the sentence he received x
Posted By: j_demo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 8:43pm
yeah cause people actually do care about this man and the sentence he received x

i appreciate that, but what's done is done, i think he was guilty as charged, others don't. but a court of law found him guilty of manslaughter.

definition:
The unjustifiable, inexcusable, and intentional killing of a human being without deliberation, premeditation, and malice. The unlawful killing of a human being without any deliberation, which may be involuntary, in the commission of a lawful act without due caution and circumspection.

NOT murder

definition:
The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.

so put that way, he was guilty of manslaughter, his actions, whether deliberate or not, caused the death of another human being, granted other factors were involved (underage drinking and reported illegal substance misuse) but his job is to protect both the public and the train from harm. he failed in his job, therefore he is accountable for his actions.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 8:59pm
well i guess we all have our own opinions but mine and urs differ x
Posted By: Jtaylor Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 10:30pm
This man played a part in this young girls death, ok she had been drinking, but come on are you going to say you never had a drink at this age.

If I had of been the guard on duty this night, I would of though different, I would of done my best to get this girl on the train, with it being the last train, and if she never got on train she would be stranded in Liverpool, and with all the weirdos out there, its no place for a young girl on her own at that time of night. So I would of done my best to get her on the train. Because of this mans actions that night, this girl lost her life, and she will never get to continue with her schooling and become what she wanted to be.
She was still a baby, doing things all teenagers do.

And because this man made a mistake, her family will never get the chance to see her grow up pass her exams, and maybe become a mother.

It really does not matter what part he played in her losing her life, the thing is he played a part, now he must except the punishment he has been given.

I know people will no doubt disagree, but it has been said allready, we all have our opinions, and its good that all opinions can be heard without it turning in to a slanging match.

Its not a nice thing for the girls family to have to go through, and its not a nice thing for the guard togo through, he now has to live with what he has done for the rest of his life, and that will not be an easy thing to do.

And I wish both of the families all the best for the future.

No one can give the guard a bigger sentence than he has given himself, he played a part in a young girls death, and he has to life with that.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 22nd Jan 2013 11:13pm
*speechless * tbh

Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Jan 2013 9:43am
Its all well and good saying "if" I was the guard on duty I would have done things differently unless u are in that situation you cant say that, this accident happened in a split second and he did open the doors twice for her to get on she chose not too and since when is it a guards job to babysit?! lets face it her "Friends" should have took better care of her that night the "Adult" who's party she was at should have took better care of her that night and not supplied her with drink and drugs, so why was he the only one in the dock?? but hey we all have our own opinions. x
Posted By: Stegga Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Jan 2013 11:57am
It's all very well saying about being responsible for your actions. Chris McGee made one mistake in his actions. He didn't close his door when she was away from the train. If he had, he would have been exonerated of any blame. How many mistakes did this young girl, her friends, the responsible adults and other station staff make? They should all be hanging their heads in shame as well as hanging Chris out to dry.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Jan 2013 12:02pm
Actually he did close the door when she was away from the train read the R.A.I.B report this was with held from the trail and it would have exonerated him x
Posted By: j_demo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Jan 2013 12:31pm
Originally Posted by Jtaylor
This man played a part in this young girls death, ok she had been drinking, but come on are you going to say you never had a drink at this age.

If I had of been the guard on duty this night, I would of though different, I would of done my best to get this girl on the train, with it being the last train, and if she never got on train she would be stranded in Liverpool, and with all the weirdos out there, its no place for a young girl on her own at that time of night. So I would of done my best to get her on the train. Because of this mans actions that night, this girl lost her life, and she will never get to continue with her schooling and become what she wanted to be.
She was still a baby, doing things all teenagers do.

And because this man made a mistake, her family will never get the chance to see her grow up pass her exams, and maybe become a mother.

It really does not matter what part he played in her losing her life, the thing is he played a part, now he must except the punishment he has been given.

I know people will no doubt disagree, but it has been said allready, we all have our opinions, and its good that all opinions can be heard without it turning in to a slanging match.

Its not a nice thing for the girls family to have to go through, and its not a nice thing for the guard togo through, he now has to live with what he has done for the rest of his life, and that will not be an easy thing to do.

And I wish both of the families all the best for the future.

No one can give the guard a bigger sentence than he has given himself, he played a part in a young girls death, and he has to life with that.

sums it up.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Jan 2013 12:58pm
Sums what up? What you think? That doesn't make it fact.

Its obvious that this matter will be polarised, but the guard should not shoulder all the blame.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 23rd Jan 2013 8:51pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Sums what up? What you think? That doesn't make it fact.

Its obvious that this matter will be polarised, but the guard should not shoulder all the blame.

accepted he shouldn't, the other station/security staff have to shoulder some blame, as do the girl's friends, however it was HIS decision and timing which led to this unfortunate incident that's got a 15-page debate going...

there's always (at least) 2 sides to every story, but common sense has to tell you that out the 2 protagonists in this scenario, one had no capacity to make any major decisions (young drunk girl) while another had the capacity to know what was happening, know that said scenario had 'death' as a possible outcome, and act upon it (train guard) but for one reason or another, chose not to, and as such somebody has ended up dead.

i accept other people have a different view, but that's how i see it.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 12th Feb 2013 3:53pm
Actually its not as black and white as you seem to think it is please go and read the raib report x
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 13th Feb 2013 11:14am
Here's the link for anyone commenting without reading it:

http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/121127_R222012_James_Street.pdf
Had an interesting email regarding this case sent to me today how do i attach it on here x

Thought some of u might like to read this x

Attached picture christopher_mcgee_2.JPG
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 1st May 2013 8:41pm
40 year old trains where accident waiting to happen !

After reading the full report its no wonder it was delayed until after the court decision.

Merseyrail should evaluate equipment and operational arrangements that allow the person responsible for train dispatch to:
a. observe the platform and train without interruption for as long as possible, ideally until the train has left the platform; and
b. stop the train directly and quickly in an emergency.

How many times have we all seen a train leave with the guards door open and the guards looking out. Not procedure apparently.
Posted By: organiser Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 1st May 2013 8:58pm
Why didn't his barrister ask for the rail report to be made available to the jury

surely this is grounds for a successful appeal always remembering of course the poor girl who so tragically died that night
Only his barrister knows the answer to that one and lets hope so he needs to be bk home, it was a tragic accident that night and my thoughts are always with Georgia's family i could never imagine the pain they are going through.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd May 2013 5:57pm
He shouldnt of let the train go when she was leaning against the train. He should of waited to she was standing behind the yellow lines.
Katryn maybe read the RAIB report x
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd May 2013 7:22pm
Their is doubt in the decision made and the sentence. Please read the report fully and consider your opinion. The facts speak for themselves plus the time scale and previous similar incidents.
Posted By: RedLance Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd May 2013 11:45am
Thought it was innocent until PROVEN guilty - not guilty but not sure about it.
Free Chris Gee
Posted By: Katryn Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd May 2013 11:51am
Originally Posted by pacef8
40 year old trains where accident waiting to happen !

After reading the full report its no wonder it was delayed until after the court decision.

Merseyrail should evaluate equipment and operational arrangements that allow the person responsible for train dispatch to:
a. observe the platform and train without interruption for as long as possible, ideally until the train has left the platform; and
b. stop the train directly and quickly in an emergency.

How many times have we all seen a train leave with the guards door open and the guards looking out. Not procedure apparently.

withthat
Any news about Chris's appeal ?
Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 30th May 2013 5:47pm
Its next Thursday in London according to the Echo.
Posted By: Pete_M Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 31st May 2013 9:22am
Link to Liverpool Echo
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 6th Jun 2013 9:35pm
Christopher McGee fails in Georgia Varley train death appeal
6 Jun 2013 14:51
Court of Appeal judges say Mcgee made 'inexplicable' decision and original sentence was fair

Merseyrail train guard Christopher McGee who was jailed for five years for causing the death of Wirral teenager Georgia Varley failed in his Court of Appeal challenge to the sentence today.

McGee, 46, of Edenhurst Avenue, Wallasey, was locked up at Liverpool Crown Court last November after he was convicted of the manslaughter of Birkenhead Sixth Form College student Georgia by gross negligence.

McGee had given the all-clear to the train driver to move out of James Street Station when Georgia was leaning on the side of the carriage, causing her to lose her balance and fall between platform and train.

Today, his lawyers took his case to the Court of Appeal, where they argued before Lord Justice Pitchford, Mr Justice Griffith Williams and Judge Neil Ford QC that the sentence was too tough.

But in a 90-minute hearing at the London court, Lord Justice Pitchford threw out McGee's appeal.

The judge said McGee had taken the "inexplicable" decision to give the driver the signal to move off, knowing there was a "gross risk of death or serious injury" to a drunken teenager.

McGee's barrister, Peter Birkett QC, argued that the five-year term was out of step with previous sentencing decisions in gross negligence manslaughter cases and did not reflect his personal mitigation.

He had been a train guard for 20 years, had an unblemished record and had himself suffered from the incident due to post traumatic stress disorder and a first prison sentence for a man of good character.

"This is an appellant who was not previously of what might be described as the criminal milieu and so any imprisonment is particularly hard to bear," the QC told the three appeal judges.

But giving judgment, Lord Justice Pitchford said the appeal was not even arguable.

"What distinguishes this case is the appellant's inexplicable decision, knowing of the gross risk of death or serious injury to this drunk young women, to signal to the driver that it was safe to proceed," he said.

"It seems to us that this was gross negligence of a very high order in the performance of his responsibility, both to the public and to this individual over which the appellant had complete personal control.

"Standing back, we do not underestimate the severity of the sentence imposed, but we are quite satisfied that the trial judge, who was in the best position to make the assessment of seriousness, took account of all relevant factors.

"He reflected them in a sentence within the appropriate range and, for that reason, we are unable to conclude that the sentence he imposed was arguably manifestly excessive and, for that reason, we must reject the application."

Source
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 10th Jun 2013 11:30pm
90 minute hearing my ass!

How could they read through the case in 90 minutes?

This guy worked the platform for years without a problem, 1 mistake and this?

Takes the piss, that judge knows sweet f a.
How about taking a look at how Chris has worked hard at his job all these years?

Does not deserve this, British justice system is a joke!!!

HOW ABOUT THE RAIL COMPANY TAKING SOME RESPONSIBILITY AND MAKE THE PLATFORMS A SAFER PLACE???

mad

Posted By: Santos Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 11th Jun 2013 8:27am
The Judiciary in this country are a joke. They either hand out stupid light sentences to people who have committed serious offences, death by drunken or dangerous driving, stabbings etc, or they hand out a far to heavy sentences as in this case. They also like to keep known and very dangerous terrorists in this country when they should be deported.

Sorry to say this but the girl was drunk, very drunk, and her so called friends let her down very badly that night, she was only 16 and they should have looked after her and had they done so she would have been alive today.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 11th Jun 2013 9:55am
Just sad for all concerned, and yes our justice system is farcical .
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 11th Jun 2013 10:02am
HOW ABOUT THE RAIL COMPANY TAKING SOME RESPONSIBILITY AND MAKE THE PLATFORMS A SAFER PLACE???

My guess is admitting responsibility means liability.

You just know that if it was a higher up it would have been the 'company' taking the hit.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 12th Jun 2013 10:54am
The rail company shut down James Street station the day of the trial to fix the platform there for the jury couldn't see how big a gap there was how convenient!
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 25th Jun 2013 2:31pm
www.facebook.com/SupportForChristopherMcGee
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 26th Jun 2013 9:14pm
The rail company shut down James Street station the day of the trial to fix the platform there for the jury couldn't see how big a gap there was how convenient!

Can't see that being true with the police being down there and everything on CCTV.
Originally Posted by DodgyDave
Can't see that being true with the police being down there and everything on CCTV.

Why would the police be down there on the day of the trial?
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 27th Jun 2013 1:27pm
Trust me it is true and yeah why would the police be down there the day of the trial?? x
Posted By: granny Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 17th Dec 2013 11:12am
Hopefully, we haven't forgotten about the ordeal of this family.

Another Christmas filled with sadness for all families involved and another time for Chris to spend , wondering how on earth it all went wrong.

Peaceful wishes to you all and a special message of holding onto ' Hope ' for Chris.

Posted By: keef666 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd Jan 2014 9:43am
Hi I'm a newbie here and this is my first post, just wondering how do you go about starting a Petition to free Chris!
Not into Facebook,
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd Jan 2014 10:26am
You may want to try this http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/free-chris-mcgee/
Posted By: Emeeh Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd Jan 2014 11:06am
You're wasting your time and going about it totally the wrong way if you bother with that.

A few signatures won't lead to a 'convicted criminal' being released.

My choice of words above do NOT mean I think he should be in prison but in the eyes of the law etc...
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 2nd Jan 2014 6:32pm
Emeeh, that is not correct
Protests don't always work but it is worth trying something
Look at the Birmingham six for example
Posted By: keef666 Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 3rd Jan 2014 9:21am
Thanks Beehive just added my name to it.
Posted By: princessxx Re: Train guard stands trial for manslaughter - 20th Jul 2014 7:52pm
Just want to say thanks to everyone for ur support chris unfortunately is still in prison but is doing ok xx
© Wirral-Wikiwirral