Forums
Posted By: Duxdeluxe JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 13th Feb 2012 11:11pm
Liam Murphy (@Liam1971)
10/02/2012 15:45
Longstanding rumours of a JD Wetherspoon pub across the road from Neptune's Marine Point in New Brighton are confirmed by the company

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...o-wirral-seaside-resort-100252-30317908/
Posted By: little_pob Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 10:30am
WIth Wetherspoon's naming tradition, I wonder who/what they'll name it after?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 10:57am
....."The Brawling Sailor" think

Unfortunatly, a place offering cheap booze down there isnt going to be a classy gaff [Linked Image]
Posted By: MissGuided Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 11:52am
The Salty Seaman...
Posted By: Shambo Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 6:39pm
Oompa-Loompa Central?
Posted By: torryman Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 7:51pm
It will be a total refit and Wetherspoon's don't usually scrimp on their premises, and with it selling meals it'll keep not only the food competitive but also the beer prices down ....yeyy!!!
Posted By: Touchstone Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 7:53pm
Originally Posted by torryman
It will be a total refit and Wetherspoon's don't usually scrimp on their premises, and with it selling meals it'll keep not only the food competitive but also the beer prices down ....yeyy!!!

Well the Clairville in Liscard is a dingy dump. Doesn't look likes it's been touched since it opened back in 2004[?].
Posted By: SUExx Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 8:11pm
surprisingly the new ferry one is really nice
went on sunday, the first time in months and its nice inside with a good menu
Posted By: MattLFC Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 8:27pm
All JD Weatherspoons are reasonably nice inside; it's the ... and dolites they attract with their cheap prices that are the problem.

The brass balance always makes me laugh, you get all the hard-working middle-class folk from the Hamilton Square district of Birkenhead going in there at dinner and after work, and the place attracts all the local bagheads and doleys.

I guess the lure of cheap booze does not discriminate, and brings the nation together laugh
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 8:27pm
Gosh, has it been open that long? I have only been in there once, I do however have great hopes for the one in NB.
Originally Posted by Touchstone

Well the Clairville in Liscard is a dingy dump. Doesn't look likes it's been touched since it opened back in 2004[?].
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 8:29pm
I agree Matt, they can attract the 'wino's' at opening time, fingers crossed that this does not happen in NB.
Originally Posted by MattLFC
All JD Weatherspoons are reasonably nice inside; it's the ... and dolites they attract with their cheap prices that are the problem.

The brass balance always makes me laugh, you get all the hard-working middle-class folk from the Hamilton Square district of Birkenhead going in there at dinner and after work, and the place attracts all the local bagheads and doleys.

I guess the lure of cheap booze does not discriminate, and brings the nation together laugh
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 8:30pm

Lol
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 8:30pm
Yes they can be Sue
Originally Posted by SUExx
surprisingly the new ferry one is really nice
went on sunday, the first time in months and its nice inside with a good menu
Posted By: SUExx Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 9:04pm
i dont go out much to a pub especially at night, but after going to the weatherspoons in new ferry on sunday lunch time it was full of decent people and families, and not all local people or drunks or drugies.

not just saying that cos its local to me, but i find it to be a nice pub with a good food, wouldnt go in the other pubs in new ferry though lol
Posted By: Touchstone Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 9:43pm

The Clairville in Liscard may have been nice when it opened, but it sure as hell isn't now. It may be that Weatherspoons just can't be bothered doing it up given the type of clientele that frequent it.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 9:44pm
Yeah, they start at Macdonalds, and when they hit 15 move over to Weatherspoons.

Either way, all they wanna do, is wreck the feckin place!!
Posted By: puntoar Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 14th Feb 2012 10:21pm
Sue, I agree with you, I never used to drink in the ferry at all, but the Wetherspoons is nice, and I have never seen any trouble in there.
Posted By: Duxdeluxe Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 15th Feb 2012 7:11pm
i dont go out much to a pub especially at night, but after going to the weatherspoons in new ferry on sunday lunch time it was full of decent people and families, and not all local people or drunks or drugies.

not just saying that cos its local to me, but i find it to be a nice pub with a good food, wouldnt go in the other pubs in new ferry though lol

Wsa in Weathersppons New ferry for Sunday teatime, nice and quiet decent food just wouldnt go into Alices Place next door
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 15th Feb 2012 7:52pm
I've sidled into a few Wetherspoons in different places in the country and they're all well run and the staff keep an eye out for botherers. Even went into one on the other side of the country after going to a local "posh" restaurant and was jealous of the grub in Wetherspoons after the shoit I'd left in the restaurant. The one in Llandudno is fantastic and the one by the Tower of London is the cheapest boozer down in that area and still has a great decor and atmosphere. Just thought I'd let you know.
Posted By: Shambo Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 5:14am
Last time (ever) I ate in a Wetherspoons I expended more calories chewing it than I gained from eating it.
Posted By: Tatey Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 7:21am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I've sidled into a few Wetherspoons in different places in the country and they're all well run and the staff keep an eye out for botherers. Even went into one on the other side of the country after going to a local "posh" restaurant and was jealous of the grub in Wetherspoons after the shoit I'd left in the restaurant. The one in Llandudno is fantastic and the one by the Tower of London is the cheapest boozer down in that area and still has a great decor and atmosphere. Just thought I'd let you know.

Bandy, when it is open we will have to check it out! You may have to bring your young brother to get you home!
Posted By: Katryn Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 10:55am
so they will be serving terrible food in New Brighton soon then.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 11:46am
Originally Posted by Tatey

Bandy, when it is open we will have to check it out! You may have to bring your young brother to get you home!

What a thoroughly good idea, could even get the train there and back to save driving. We'll put this on the front burner.
happy
Posted By: Chorizo Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 12:34pm
I personally think the food in spoons is good considering what you pay. Yex it's not perfect but your getting steak and chips for 7-8 quid what more do you expect!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 1:09pm
There'll be theme nights too, like curry nights, with a curry and a pint included. Personally it doesn't float my boat because the missus is a good chef but there are some people who would eat better in Wethers if they scoffed there now and again than they do at home having the takeaways. I have eaten their grub when I've been away on courses and it's not bad at all. The ale prices are good too, along with guest beers. What more do people want in a pub?
Oh, and I nearly forgot, there's no loud music in there so you can talk, and the sports commentaries are not on either, just the viewing if you want to watch it. Just like being at the real event.
thumbsup
Posted By: Chorizo Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 4:41pm
I doubt the one in new Brighton will be an actual wetherspoons more likely a Lloyd's bar which is owned by the same company but will play music.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 16th Feb 2012 5:52pm
My tinnitus is bad enough as it is so if it is Lloyds I'll be giving it a body swerve.
oldman
Posted By: oneofthree Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 22nd Feb 2012 6:56am
Originally Posted by Touchstone

Couldn't agree more! I went in for the first time in ages and it's really gone down the nick, dirty glasses, grotty seating, lightbulbs missing and stinky bogs! Perhaps the one in NB will shame them into a bit of a refurb for Liscard......?
Posted By: BlindPugh Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 1st Mar 2012 4:04am
I've liked every 'Spoons I've been in. I certainly wouldnt leave Th Clairville to drink in local alternatives like The Boot, The Royal Oak or the Duke / welly whatever its called these days. the new Spoons on New Brighton front will own. The Coburn family have read the runes on this one - they arent stupid. They've cashed in on selling out the old RJs site - Spoons will wipe out everything else down there - but that aint no bad thing!
Posted By: Chorizo Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 6th May 2012 7:33pm
Anyone know what's happening with this? No work seems to be getting done!
Posted By: Dilly Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 7th May 2012 9:52am
wetherspoons serve a purpose. have not yet figured it out though.
Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 7th May 2012 12:48pm
Wetherspoons serve cheap and nasty food to cheap and nasty people.

I won't be venturing there for a drink.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 7th May 2012 1:10pm
if i.m ever gasping for a bevvie at 9.30am....... but i doubt it
Posted By: nightwalker Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 8th May 2012 10:41am
Originally Posted by WallaseyHead
Wetherspoons serve cheap and nasty food to cheap and nasty people.

What a cheap and nasty comment. I and my cheap and nasty friends wonder on what you base such a sweeping generalisation. Is it ignorance, stupidity or just a feeble attempt at being clever?
Posted By: Raven61 Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 8th May 2012 9:37pm
I got this reply from Wetherspoons re the New Brighton pub/restaurant:

Thank you very much for your email. This site is currently part of our extensive development programme and, as yet, there are no onsite or opening dates agreed and has not yet been named.
Posted By: sparky Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 8th May 2012 10:16pm
Well said Nightwalker, I have had several meals at Wetherspoons and the food has been lovely.
Posted By: cathcart Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 4:30am
wetherspoons provide a good service,the food is better than a lot of places.dont know where you get your opinion from.
Posted By: Tatey Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 8:05am
Originally Posted by Raven61
I got this reply from Wetherspoons re the New Brighton pub/restaurant:

Thank you very much for your email. This site is currently part of our extensive development programme and, as yet, there are no onsite or opening dates agreed and has not yet been named.

That is very interesting, as the reply to my email said that they were hoping to be open within the next 12 months.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 6:08pm
I hope they get a move on for when the good weather comes in. Qute looking forward to it.
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 6:18pm
wallaseyhead there is no way in this world that your a bank manager!!!!you come on here calling people for allsorts when you have probably never even worked in your life!!!and for your information i used to manage a wetherspoons and the food bought is of the best quality so try getting your facts right before you make judgement!!oh and by the way as a so called bank manager im damn sure your name isnt portraid as great in the current climax!!!
Posted By: SUExx Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 6:23pm
Dont think wallaseyhead is with us any more
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 6:27pm

Has he shucked off his moral coil then?

boohoo
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 6:28pm
thats not a bad thing then!!!!hahaha
Posted By: Anonymous Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 9th May 2012 6:57pm

Has he shucked off his moral coil then?

boohoo

If only. If only.
Posted By: Shambo Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 4:36am
Originally Posted by pokerchamp
and for your information i used to manage a wetherspoons and the food bought is of the best quality so try getting your facts right before you make judgement!!

Is it the low paid uninterested teenagers, who zap or deep fry it, that manage to make it so inedible then?

That's a rhetorical question obviously. You don't have to have been the manager of over a dozen kitchens, for a national pub chain, to know the answer. When you pay so little for your meal somethings got to give. You want it quick, you want it cheap and you want it at a good quality... but it's only possible to meet two of the criteria at any one time. It never surprised me to meet experienced pub managers who just couldn't grasp this simple concept, (or boil an egg).
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 9:44am
Basically it depends where you are. If the stuff is no good you don't go there again. Like I've said before, the Wetherspoons I've been to up to now have all been ok. Went to one of their rival chain places over at Kings Lynn and the beef ribs were still frozen near to the bone, won't bother with a Harvester again but it was probably a one off, couldn't give a toss staff member, tough on the others but they won't miss my measly few quid once in a blue moon.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 10:12am
I've only been to a Wetherspoons once. It was in York. I found the beer reasonable and the food was quite good. The service was fine, but shades of the stick-on smile and "have a nice day" crappola. Good value for money at the end of the day I suppose.

Hardly a representative sample agreed, but just my 2d's worth.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 10:15am
Agreed there Pinz. If you're with the right company though any old watering hole can turn into a good run ashore, best never to eat on an empty stomach anyway.
Posted By: Nomad Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 8:38pm
Had a curry in the New Ferry pub today, lovely place, clean, lovely staff and for less than a fiver a curry and a pint. good value.
They make their money by selling by volume, I have had one bad experience in the brass balance a few years, but a polite complaint and it was quickly sorted.
I will go therer again

Nomad
Posted By: The_Frog Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 9:05pm
Good service goes a long way.
Posted By: chriskay Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 9:15pm
I had a meal in the Brass Balance a couple of months ago; no complaints.
Posted By: Nomad Re: JD Wetherspoon's @ New Brighton - 10th May 2012 9:56pm
Unless a pub is freehold the best way for them to make money is via food and as a result I have found in my somewhat limited experience that you are going to get a good meal ( or as some would put it - what you pay for) more or less where ever you go on the wirral.

Should you ever have a problem then its usually sorted straight away. Stay away from the big chains and go to the "little pubs" some cracking food to be had

Nomad
© Wirral-Wikiwirral