Forums
Posted By: Mark No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 8:36am
Gas Fault : Moreton / Leasowe
Its an area fault : water in the pipes.
Some Schools are effected.
Busy busy busy day for me then
Posted By: Snickas Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 8:45am
crazy hope little boys school is ok, or the children will be out of sorts today. (sorry for the selfish reasons, I know how much it will affect & distress them)

Good luck Lord, hope it gets sorted today.

just spoke to NAtional Grid supervisor on Danger lane in moreton
area effected between Danger lane and leasowe castle. He said looking at gas being off for a few days. water in gas main
Posted By: LATEBOY Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 1:15pm
Anything to do with the major water works at the cross last night?
not directly but more than likely
Posted By: Mark Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 2:25pm
A water pipe burst near leasowe train station. There are now almost 3,000 homes effected, and it continues to spread.

Min 24 to see the gas supply restored.
At Best at the end of the weekend.

Part of the problem is all effected homes have to have the Gas Turned of before the repair. Then a gas engineer has to come out and check each supply and appliances before your home can be turned back on.

This is from the engineers at the incident room. And its a big incident. There handing out heaters and electric hobs at the incident site. Sorry I cant remember the name of the incident HQ, a leisure centre.

National incident line : 0800 111999
its leasowe baths mark
Posted By: Clive Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 2:42pm
Leasowe Leisure Centre,
Twickenham Drive,
Leasowe,
Wirral,
CH46 1PF.

A major incident room has been set up as 3,000 homes in Moreton and Leasowe are left without their gas supply.

What started as an apparently straight-forward repair this morning following a burst water main interfering with gas supply has escalated massively.

At least 53 roads in the area now have no gas - and the National Grid says it does not know when the supply will be restored.

Once the repair is made water will then need to be pumped out of the network.

More than 80 National Grid engineers are in the area to help restore gas supplies.

Every property in the affected area will be visited to ensure the gas supply is turned off at the meter.

Once all the water has been removed from the network and gas is back in the mains, a second visit will be made to turn on the supply to each property.

Alternative electrical cooking and heating facilities are being provided to vulnerable customers and an incident room has been set up at Leasowe Leisure Centre, Twickenham Drive, Leasowe, Wirral, CH46 1PF.

It is important that the local electricity network is maintained as people may increase their use of electrical appliances during the loss of gas supply. Residents are asked to use only essential electricity appliances and switch off any non-essential appliances.

Ward councillor Ian Lewis said: "There are around 3,000 homes in Moreton and Leasowe that have lost, or are about to lose, their gas supply.

"For many people, this will be their main source of heating and cooking.

"My first concern is that National Grid comes up with the list of roads affected, and fast, so that the people living in those roads can be contacted and helped, whether by National Grid, the council or Primary Care Trust, with temporary heating and cooking facilities.

"I understand a major incident room has now been established at the recreation centre but the situation is now affecting several thousand people.

"I will be looking for answers from National Grid as to how a burst water pipe came to cause so much disruption to the gas supply.

"In the meantime, we need urgent action to make sure nobody is put in any further danger."

More to follow shortly...

Posted By: Clive Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 2:49pm
National Grid says the streets currently believed to be without gas are: Reeds Lane

Ditton Avenue

Stuart Avenue

Avondale Avenue

Danger Lane

Reedville Grove

Hoylake Road

Castleway South

Saxon Road

Cornflour Way

Bullrush Drive

Kingsmead Road

Farmside

Reeds Avenue West

Birkett Avenue

Epsom Road

Fendale Avenue

Stavordale Avenue

Castlefield Estate

Pasture Avenue

Daneswell Drive

Spencer Avenue

Yew Tree Road

Sunfield Road

Springdale Close

Willow Moss Close

Farnworth Avenue

Wimbrick Hey

Yew Way

Garswood Close

Twickenham Drive

Goodwood Drive

Pastures Crescent

Lindale Close

Hyacinth Grove

Buttercup Close

Whiteheath Way

Leasowe Road

Bull Rush Drive

Black Heath Drive

Aintree Close

Reeds Avenue East

Birkett Square

Newbury Way

Blundells Drive

Dunstall Close

Wakefield Drive

Cheltenham Crescent

Greenheath Way

Fender Lane

Reedsville Grove

Cronton Avenue

Ravenhill Crescent
Posted By: delta6 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 2:53pm
ok at mine between lingham and millhouse.
Posted By: Madge Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 2:55pm
There are gas people working in the road at the corner of danger lane and Hoylake road
Posted By: Mark Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 2:55pm
Nice one willo.
Posted By: monsterz4 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 4:39pm
and omg it is cold in this house with no heating and sadly no cooker frown and with a baby and little ones this will be fun
Posted By: Clive Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 4:43pm
What a Grrr it happening in the winter

Attached picture warm jpeg.jpg
You should ring Social Services Emergency Duty line they should bring out heaters, cookers etc on 677 6557 see
EDT
Posted By: StuyMac Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 11th Nov 2011 6:18pm
Ive just read on FB (from someone who lives in the area and has been speaking to the work men) that the gas could be out for up to a week omg
Posted By: TomAtNG Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 12th Nov 2011 10:17am
Tom from National Grid here.

A new update will be at http://www.nationalgrid.com/incidents at 10:35 this morning.

So far we've visited 2610 homes and found 878 without gas.

We need to check a further 1400 today before we can start pumping out the water. Please try and make sure someone is in so we can check the supply. Ask to see ID when they arrive.

If you have no gas and have not had a visit please call us on 0845 605 6678.

Alternative heating and cooking facilities for vulnerable residents are available at Leasowe Community Centre.

The process for restoration is like this:

1. We have to check supplies to each house and turn off those affected
2. When all the affected properties are off supply we can pump out the water
3. Once the water is out of the system we go back to each house andrew connect the supply

This process is important as it ensures the safety of residents. If you have questions please call us on 0845 606 6677.
Posted By: Snickas Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 12th Nov 2011 10:49am
Thank you for nipping on here and letting the Leasowe Wikimembers know Tom [Linked Image]
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 12th Nov 2011 1:48pm
Originally Posted by Snickas
Thank you for nipping on here and letting the Leasowe Wikimembers know Tom [Linked Image]
That must be awful for them in this weather brrr smile
Posted By: manic28_am Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 12th Nov 2011 1:56pm
Originally Posted by TomAtNG

3. Once the water is out of the system we go back to each house andrew connect the supply

Who is Andrew? Looks like he has a busy weekend.
Originally Posted by manic28_am
Originally Posted by TomAtNG

Who is Andrew? Looks like he has a busy weekend.

Exactly what I was thinking grin
Posted By: TomAtNG Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 12th Nov 2011 4:26pm
Ha!

Stupid iPad auto spell.

And reconnect of course.

Should be another update on http://www.nationalgrid.com/incidents before 6pm.

And our engineers, Andrew, Phil or whoever will indeed be busy getting you all back on supply.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 12th Nov 2011 11:40pm
Good luck to everyone affected - those without gas, those looking after them, and those trying to sort it out. One small mercy is that the weather's relatively mild for the time of year.
Posted By: Clive Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 11:28am
Work will continue over the weekend in an attempt to get gas supplies restored to as many homes as possible in the Moreton and Leasowe areas of the Wirral following the problems caused by a burst water main .
In the worst scenario, hundreds of homes will be without a supply for the next few days and there are already genuine concerns for the welfare and safety of elderly and vulnerable persons in the area

An emeregency telephone number is available …it is 0845 605667

Heating appliances are available to affected householders by calling to the Leasowe Community Centre which is just behind the leisure centre

Posted By: AlphaBravo Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 4:13pm
That's Customer Service right there Tom.

Do the NG task you with Googling things and joining up to post updates? Thats pretty cool if so.
Posted By: MATTSVM Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 6:26pm
Apparently electric has gone off as well in some roads!!!!
Posted By: AlphaBravo Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 6:28pm
What a nightmare.

In my experience, British Gas only employ idiots, so it comes as no surprise,
Posted By: MATTSVM Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 6:32pm
We've got the got the hotplate and heater they gave us on and also the tumble dryer and oven, times that by 2000 houses, no wonder !! Grid must be heading for meltdown!!
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo
What a nightmare.

A little harsh to say 'all' me thinks

TheMrs
Posted By: neilmcc Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 6:35pm
What a nightmare.

its a good job that national grid is not british gas then
Posted By: AlphaBravo Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 7:17pm
Originally Posted by neilmcc
What a nightmare.

Well that ruins a sly dig then doesn't it.
Posted By: Gill61 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 9:48pm
My mum lives in pasture ave & her gas was back on at lunchtime today.
Posted By: A_L_K Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 10:13pm
Went past on Leasowe Road before an could smell gas still!
Posted By: Volly Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 10:39pm
Ours is still off - grovedale drive, moreton ( estate next to fender riding school ).

Can't fault national grid though, they working 24/7 to get things sorted.

Posted By: MATTSVM Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 11:07pm
Still off at reeds lane near the spar £90 compensation so far !!
Posted By: MATTSVM Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 11:08pm
Your right tho, they seem to be doing their best!!
Posted By: Steve_Jonn0 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 11:23pm
What a nightmare.

Well done National Grid, all the hard work your engineers are putting in sometimes goes unnoticed, I'm sure I'm not alone in congratulating you, keep up the good work.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 13th Nov 2011 11:25pm
Originally Posted by Mr_Pickles
[quote=AlphaBravo]What a nightmare.

Well done National Grid, all the hard work your engineers are putting in sometimes goes unnoticed, I'm sure I'm not alone in congratulating you, keep up the good work.
[/quote]Yes well done to all the gas men laugh
Posted By: Jess53 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 14th Nov 2011 8:15am
At least a the end of all this we can put in compo claims for every period of 24 hours we are without gas! Any brave souls still got a bbq out!!
Posted By: Jess53 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 14th Nov 2011 9:20am
gas man is putting gas on as I type!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: TomAtNG Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 14th Nov 2011 7:11pm
There will be another update on http://www.nationalgrid.com/incidents at 19:35 tonight (Monday). We've taken about 200,000 litres of water from the system and reconnected around 600 properties so far. There are still many homes to connect and where water has entered internal pipes this may take longer to sort out.

The update at 19:35 has details of compensation payments if you are after these.

Any questions, call the team on 0845 605 6677.

Thanks for your patience in this - our teams are working hard to get you back on supply.
Posted By: AlphaBravo Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 14th Nov 2011 7:14pm
Originally Posted by Jess53
gas man is putting gas on as I type!!!!!!!!!

Keep typing then, it'll keep those lazy bar stewards working!
The National Grid Engineers have put in a lot of hard work over the last couple of days. Im sure the residents of Moreton are very grateful.
Posted By: AlphaBravo Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 14th Nov 2011 7:29pm
Originally Posted by Mr_Pickles
The National Grid Engineers have put in a lot of hard work over the last couple of days. Im sure the residents of Moreton are very grateful.

I'm sure they are.

God bless them all.
Posted By: TomAtNG Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 14th Nov 2011 7:37pm
Btw - thanks for the support messages. I know the engineers on the street and the teams in the community centres appreciate your support. It's a difficult situation for all of you.
Posted By: Uffda Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 14th Nov 2011 7:45pm
I've got to say that the National Grid seem to have really pulled out all the stops to get things back to normal. Hopefully United Utilities will be more careful in future. I'm in Castleford Rise and wasn't too cold at first but now have loads of layers on! I did get a fan heater from the Leasowe Community Centre but gave it to my neighbour. she's 93 and relies on the gas to keep her warm. when my gas get reconnected, I intend to stand under the shower for an hour or two!!
Thanks for the updates Tom.
Posted By: TomAtNG Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 15th Nov 2011 5:50pm
There's a new update on http://www.nationalgrid.com/incidents at 18:35.

This update gives a list of the zones we're working in and which streets are in which zones.

There have been some issues with Zones 2 and 5 which we are working hard to sort out.

More details in the update, so have a look at what zone you are in and see what the latest is.

Thanks and stay safe!
the volunteers in the community centre in leasowe are feeding people who are without gas. alsp people on hand to give advice on the situation
What a nightmare.

? do we need a chat AlphaBravo? quite welcome to point you in the right direction....
Posted By: Jess53 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 23rd Nov 2011 11:33am
I think we have all been kept well informed, via regular updates, help lines if needed and offers of help. Considering this was an emergency watching the men working all hours to rectify the problem I dont think they need dissing by anyone!!! Dont forget you can claim compensation too.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: No Gas : Moreton / Leasowe Major Incident - 23rd Nov 2011 1:27pm
I was affected by this emergency. However, I have to say that everybody involved in getting gas supplies back/community help/etc played a brilliant role. The guys from National Grid worked their butts off getting the supply restored, Tom kept people up to date on this forum and the staff at Leasowe Community Centre also did a fantastic job.
Another person who worked very hard on everyones behalf was Councillor Ian Lewis, on a couple of occasions he got flyers printed and distributed to homes, updating people on progress on the same day that events were happening, no mean feat.
So well done everybody and a BIG Thank You to you all !!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral