Forums
Posted By: Mogzie Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:19pm
There is a rumour going around at the moment that staff in Body Shop, Poundland and students in the college at Europa Park are forbidden to wear the Royal British Legion poppys. Is there any truth in this rumour?
Posted By: jen8505 Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:22pm
I've heard McDonald's have forbidden staff to wear them too
Posted By: Clive Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:27pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ff-poppy-row-Twitter-Facebook-storm.html

Posted By: rocks Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:28pm
if thats true its a bleeding cheek!!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:30pm
Wtf is this country coming to? mad
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:32pm
no it's another facebook lie frown please read all of this smile

Veterans, residents and dignitaries will converge upon Alma Square on Sunday for the annual Garden of Remembrance service.

The ceremony, organised by the Scarborough branch of the Royal British Legion, starts at noon and has taken place in the town for more than 20 years.

The service allows veterans and members of the public to plant crosses to commemorate service personnel during the two world wars and conflicts around the world.

A corps of bugles from the Yorkshire Volunteers Band will play the hymns Eternal Father To Save and O God, Our Help In Ages Past before sounding the Last Post and marching through the town’s streets.

Standard bearers and cadet forces will also be on parade.

Last year, more than 100 people met to pay their respects to servicemen and women who sacrificed their lives during conflicts across the globe. The service saw hundreds of people line Westborough to applaud veterans as they went to the Town Hall to take the salute.

John Anderson, BEM, secretary of the Scarborough branch of the Royal British Legion, said: “The service gets better each year and last year’s was the first where I heard spontaneous applause for the veterans as they marched. It was exceptional.” The Alma Square service takes place a week before the main remembrance events, including the service at Oliver’s Mount.

This year’s Poppy Appeal marks the Royal British Legion’s 90th anniversary, with organisers again aiming to help past and present members of the British Armed Forces and their families, with a strong focus on supporting the Afghanistan generation.

The campaign raised £59,065.48 in Scarborough last year and the 2011 appeal was launched with a full poppy drop and musical concert.

[/u]The appeal has been handed a further boost after McDonald’s, The Body Shop and Poundland confirmed they were allowing staff to wear a poppy with pride.

Scurrilous national speculation had suggested the companies had banned employees from being able to show their support.[u]

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.c..._silent_to_remember_war_heroes_1_3934843

Posted By: ex0__ Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:36pm
Just out of interest, are the employees required to wear one or just allowed to do so if they want to?
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:39pm
i think we should just Grrr a muslim extremist on this day who oppose the wearing of a poppy
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:49pm
I'd wear mine whatever my employers policies were,what's the worse thing that could happen? Couldn't sack you could they?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 8:53pm
Originally Posted by HistoricalTony
i think we should just Grrr a muslim extremist on this day who oppose the wearing of a poppy

Tony you been reading the mail again raftl

we've had this story every year since 9/11 same as with St Gorge's day and we can't have flag out, it's just more propaganda.
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 9:00pm
Originally Posted by 8Bitguy
Originally Posted by HistoricalTony

Tony you been reading the mail again raftl

we've had this story every year since 9/11 same as with St Gorge's day and we can't have flag out, it's just more propaganda.

best thing was i dint say grrr haha magic word chane, said fish eggs
Posted By: Mark Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 9:10pm
opinionopinion
Posted By: Shambo Re: Is This True? - 3rd Nov 2011 9:33pm
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/poundland-poppy-ban.shtml
Posted By: AR_One Re: Is This True? - 4th Nov 2011 12:11am
We're definitley not banned in wearing poppies at my work, in fact some of our vehicles have got whacking great bin-lid sized poppies on them at the moment.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Is This True? - 4th Nov 2011 12:26am
just checked that ref McDonalds staff are allowed to wear them The RB Legion brought a box in and its alongside the tills
source a 1st floor manager
Posted By: mrallen Re: Is This True? - 4th Nov 2011 7:42am
"Staff ban on wearing poppies
In response to a news story about a staff member being sent home for wearing a Remembrance poppy in the autumn of 2011, Poundland posted a comment on their Facebook and Twitter social media stating "Poundland is not against colleagues wearing a poppy; however, colleagues are not allowed to wear one on the shop-floor simply as it does not abide by the uniform rules."

This policy attracted much attention through social media including Facebook and Twitter, and various customer forums.

Poundland backed down from the ban on 31 October 2011, and released the statement that employees will be allowed to "use their own discretion in wearing poppies" after hundreds of customers threatened to boycott the store."

Posted By: micsey Re: Is This True? - 4th Nov 2011 8:35am
I think everyone should wear one but thats just me,what i find strange is that when are troops come back through the streets or on poppy day there are some faces missing from the crowd? Think about it
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Is This True? - 5th Nov 2011 12:36am
Originally Posted by mrallen
In response to a news story about a staff member being sent home for wearing a Remembrance poppy in the autumn of 2011, Poundland posted a comment on their Facebook and Twitter social media stating "Poundland is not against colleagues wearing a poppy; however, colleagues are not allowed to wear one on the shop-floor simply as it does not abide by the uniform rules."

This policy attracted much attention through social media including Facebook and Twitter, and various customer forums.

Poundland backed down from the ban on 31 October 2011, and released the statement that employees will be allowed to "use their own discretion in wearing poppies" after hundreds of customers threatened to boycott the store."

LOL, but its fine for them to wear Santa Hats and Beards at Christmas, that surly fits in with the uniform rules, but that puts customers in the xmas mood and gets them to spend money so its ok then... strange policy.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Is This True? - 5th Nov 2011 8:02am
Originally Posted by ASE71
Originally Posted by mrallen

LOL, but its fine for them to wear Santa Hats and Beards at Christmas, that surly fits in with the uniform rules, but that puts customers in the xmas mood and gets them to spend money so its ok then... strange policy.

Yes, but doesnt Xmas have religious meanings too....Which must also offend the non Infidells!!!!
Cant go upsetting the poor ragheads now can we, that just wouldnt be British...Hang on tho, what the fook is British now???

Found out the other day that FISH N CHIPS isnt even British.....Its Jewish...Hoy-Vey, whats the world coming to???
© Wirral-Wikiwirral