Forums
Posted By: chriskay Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 11:44am
I see on this morning's BBC news that today is the 100th. anniversary of the Liver Building. Also today, the Museum of Liverpool opens.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 12:29pm
Yep, Liver Building sure is!

What a building it is too.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 12:35pm
More about the museum here smile
Posted By: SUExx Re: Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 12:41pm
Im going to a party at the new museum tommorrow night. Its for all the staff as we have all had a part in getting it ready to open.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 1:37pm
I'm singing there tonight with Sense of Sound really excited about it can't wait.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 1:43pm
Originally Posted by Sallybear
I'm singing there tonight with Sense of Sound really excited about it can't wait.

omg are you a singer bear?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 2:29pm

[Linked Image]

Good luck!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Liver Building - 19th Jul 2011 3:25pm
Yes Ste, with Sense of Sound, check us out on You Tube if you want a laugh, and thanks Gibbo, we are NOT a cats chorus and your dinner is now getting burnt !!

Actually quite excited to see the new building from the indside, and hopefully will get some nice pics.
Posted By: consho Re: Liver Building - 20th Jul 2011 8:38am
FROM YESTERDAYS MERSEY MAGAZINE..SORRY TO KEEP PRAISING THIS INTERNET SERVICE BUT THE NEWS COMES ACROSS ON THIS MUCH QUICKER THAN ON LIVERPOOL ECHO, BBC NEWS OR WIRRAL GLOBE SITES

One of Liverpool’s most famous landmarks celebrates it centenary today

The Liver Buildings, was officially opened on 19 July 1911, just three years after the foundation stone for the building was laid

Since then it has dominated the Pier Head, providing a welcome sight for travelers as they reached their home port after months or even years at sea

Folk lore dictates that the Liver Birds, which dominate the top of the building act, as the city’s security for as we all know, as long as the birds remain atop of the close on three hundred feet high structure, and don’t fly away, the City of Liverpool will always be safe and secure

In reality of course it is impossible for them to desert the city

Each of them is eighteen feet high, their heads are three and a half feet long, the spread of the wings is twelve feet, their length is ten feet and the legs are two feet in circumference.

Their bodies and wings are of moulded and hammered copper and are fixed on a steel armature. The two birds face away from each other, one towards the river and the other towards the city.

Not many people will know that there is a sprig of seaweed in each beak

Forming part of the renowned Three Graces, the Royal Liver Building is one of the most recognisable landmarks in our city. It is a Grade Three Listed Building and is part of Liverpool’s UNESCO designated World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City.

The Liver Birds are of course the most famous feature of the building but the clock faces which are visible from either side of the Mersey are 25 feet in diameter and hold the distinction of being the largest electronically driven clocks in the United Kingdom

They were originally named “George Clocks” as a tribute to King George the Fifth because they were started at the exact time he was crowned on 22 June 1911

Over the next few days there will be lots of celebrations to mark the centenary, we will bring you a full programme of those events online tomorow, Wednesday .
Posted By: SUExx Re: Liver Building - 20th Jul 2011 9:23am
how did last night go sally
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Liver Building - 20th Jul 2011 4:28pm
Presumably the liver birds were the last things to be installed...

Description: No Liver Birds
Attached picture Liver buildings.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liver Building - 20th Jul 2011 4:34pm
Great picture!
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Liver Building - 20th Jul 2011 4:38pm
Lovely picture,thanks for posting.
Posted By: Necronuss Re: Liver Building - 20th Jul 2011 5:55pm
Originally Posted by nightwalker

Or someone nicked em wink
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Liver Building - 22nd Jul 2011 4:17pm

Hope all goes well. Cannot come over tonight as just back from Norfolk and first grandchild born yesterday-Joseph.

Tomorrow going to the free Liverpool Philharmonic Beatles Concert at Pierhead 8.45pm. Should be good.
Posted By: granny Re: Liver Building - 22nd Jul 2011 4:57pm
Did you know there was a banquet on the Liver clocks before they were installed? I believe it took place in Nottingham.
Also, apparently the foundations of which the Royal Liver Building is built on is cotton.
Posted By: blugun Re: Liver Building - 22nd Jul 2011 5:08pm
there was a banquet on clock face, as it lay flat ready for transportation. The foundations being cotton is just a myth though.
Posted By: granny Re: Liver Building - 22nd Jul 2011 5:20pm
There is many a myth!
My great grandfather was at the banquet, he was harbour master of Liverpool at the time.Lots of stories.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Liver Building - 22nd Jul 2011 11:26pm
Fabulous!

Attached picture SAM_1349.JPG
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: Liver Building - 24th Jul 2011 1:02pm
Hi all myself and hubby and the children have been to this event on the waterfront the last 2 nights friday night and saturday night. Its been very good, friday night was less busy, and the entertainment on the stage was differant, it was a blues singer. last night the philarmonic were on stage, the pier head was heaving. seen the macro lazer show on the liver buildings now twice. thinking of going again tonight to make it a hat trick. Im sure i heard ther was going to be fireworks tonight. Ill upload some pics if i can remember how to do it.

I still havent gotten around to visiting the liverpool museum on the waterfront, its open 10am till 10pm , saying that we couldnt get in it last night, they were stoping anybody else going in around 8.30pm as it was full. after the lazer show on the liver building they do a bit of a lazer show on the museum of liverpool, swirling shapes and bricks etc.

Toilets were out of order in the pier head bar, so ther was porta cabins set up along the side of the liver building cunard building.

In the evening when the sun goes down , it does get a bit nippy by the waterfront so take suitable clothing, ie coat cardigan, and a small blancket for the children if in pushchair.

sarah xx

Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 060.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 042.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 071.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 083.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 098.jpg
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: Liver Building - 24th Jul 2011 1:27pm
Saddly non of the lazer pics on the liver building turned out.

Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 020.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 027.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 096.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 034.jpg
Attached picture liverpool 1 and the waterfront liver building 054.jpg
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Liver Building - 24th Jul 2011 1:30pm
Aw Sarah you must be gutted. Did you turn your flash off????
I was there on Friday and did want to go again last night for the LPO but I was shattered and they had forecast it being much colder so I gave it a miss.

Posted By: sarahdavo Re: Liver Building - 24th Jul 2011 1:46pm
Hi softy southerner, no i dint turn the flash off, i didnt know thats how it worked. gutted.
yes it was much colder last night than friday night, friday night i didnt really need a coat was a lovely evening, but was chilly last night. The LPO were very good, not normally my cup of tea, but in the context of the event it was nice to listen to

sarah xx
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Liver Building - 24th Jul 2011 2:50pm
And those of us too lazy to go over there had this view of the event.

Attached picture ltrmd-1151.jpg
Attached picture ltrmd-1168.jpg
Attached picture ltrmd-1180.jpg
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Liver Building - 24th Jul 2011 3:00pm
You weren't riding a motorbike were you Kev?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Liver Building - 24th Jul 2011 3:09pm
No it was not me. I was at the end of Pacific Road next to the tunnel vent shaft.
Posted By: Guddok Re: Liver Building - 3rd Aug 2011 12:22am
Originally Posted by Necronuss
Originally Posted by nightwalker

Or someone nicked em wink

Welcome to Liverpool wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral