Forums
Posted By: Handbag Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 12:06pm
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/9..._measures_after_son_is_attacked_in_park/

Anyone who lives locally must be concerned about how dangerous Central Park has become over the last couple of years. Please take time out to sign this lady's petition so something can be done to tackle the problem of violence and antisocial behaviour in the park.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/centralparkwallasey/
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 3:23pm
While I agree that lighting would help, she shouldn't have exaggerated her claim. "Daily rapes and assaults?" Please. /rolleyes.
Posted By: dandan Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 6:45pm
Well If A small exaggeration helps just one young person from being assaulted, or a dog walker attacked, or a rape in the park then I'm with Mrs Richardson all the way. I take it you daily patrol the park to to confidently use a negative comment like this? lets just hope to god your nearest and dearest stay safe because it always seems to happen to someone else's kid or family member. I wish the park has security and lights so my children will feel safe to play there when there old enough to go on there own.
Posted By: Handbag Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 7:24pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
While I agree that lighting would help, she shouldn't have exaggerated her claim. "Daily rapes and assaults?" Please. /rolleyes.

I couldnt see any mention in the globe report that she claimed there were 'daily assaults and rapes'
but as someone who runs a well established Community group in the area I can tell you that local residents often complain about the dangers of Central Park and will no longer go there,the local Police are always being called to the area and I myself have had to go through dealing with my then 13 year old daughter being assaulted and mugged in the park.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 7:35pm
Handbag I think ex0 was talking about this link not the globe report wink http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/centralparkwallasey/
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 8:29pm
I know the girl in question and if it was my child i would be doing exactly the same as she is as, i beleive her son was in a very bad way and is having to have an operation to fix his nose, no one should be in this possition just by walking through a park and public places should be lit up
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 11:05pm
would lights help? as New York's Central Park as lights and is a copy of Birkenhead park, but they still have muggers they just hide behind some trees and jump you.

it's like saying if you have lights it will stop, but how many people get mugged at night in a well lit place?

when I was a kid the park shut the gates at 5:30pm or 7:30 in summer maybe this would be better?

I just can't see the light thing working as what's stopping the kids smashing them?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 19th May 2011 11:26pm
I think size makes a difference here.

Birkenhead Park (according to the "Friends of Birkenhead Park"), covers 125acres (I thought it was bigger)

Central Park, New York, is 843acres, that's a BIG difference.

Central Park isn't a copy of Birkenhead Park, it was heavily influenced by it and incorporates a lot of it's features, but the layout is different.
Posted By: twinky Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 20th May 2011 6:38am
if you read the petition its states 'ARE BECOMING DAILY INCIDENTS'.....a local police officer told me this himself! so roll your eyes all you like this is no exaggeration. (Wallasey council need to put back the lights in and around central park the rate of crime between druggies,rapes,assaults,vandalism are becoming daily incidents.)
This park is used by all sorts of ppl and they are fed up of the damage thats happening to their property. Cars are being broken into whilst footy players are playing matches, crime is being committed in this park and it needs to be stamped out.
If the lights had of been working when my son was attacked then maybe just maybe he cud have seen who it was!!! And if cameras where there they may have caught the attackers running away.
Originally Posted by twinky
if you read the petition its states 'ARE BECOMING DAILY INCIDENTS'.....a local police officer told me this himself! so roll your eyes all you like this is no exaggeration. (Wallasey council need to put back the lights in and around central park the rate of crime between druggies,rapes,assaults,vandalism are becoming daily incidents.)
This park is used by all sorts of ppl and they are fed up of the damage thats happening to their property. Cars are being broken into whilst footy players are playing matches, crime is being committed in this park and it needs to be stamped out.
If the lights had of been working when my son was attacked then maybe just maybe he cud have seen who it was!!! And if cameras where there they may have caught the attackers running away.

Zara I don't think they were questioning what happend to your son they were merely debating the difference that lighting would make. What you are doing is amazing and without people raising issues like you are doing nothing would get done. Good luck with the pettition and I hope if one small difference in the park even prevents 1 less attack you have at least made a difference
ps its anto by the way
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 20th May 2011 10:28am
I know the lady who is asking for help, her son was badly beaten up and required surgery after and is so traumatised he won't go anywhere near that park or give out his name incase they come back for more. I've signed and wish her luck, these things don't fixed without a nudge from supporters so do ya best smile
Posted By: MediKated Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 21st May 2011 8:34am
I've signed the petition and joined the facebook group whilst trying to encourage my friends and family to join the petition. Over the years I've had several incidents of abuse towards my kids, my 14 yr old daughter was punched in the face by a 9 yr old girl simply because the younger child was encouraged by an older group of teens, I've recently seen a lady with a labrador dog having to fight two staffies off her dog while the scally owners stood by doing nothing. My son was punched and had his phone taken. Daughter had her skateboard robbed and gave chase but the twits threw it into the lake before she could catch them up. These are just a few of the thing thats happened, the park is a playground for the asbo brats of the area who act like they own the place, if they knew there was active cctv in the park maybe theyd behave better for fear of repurcsions. My kids refuse to go there and walk the mile and half to vale park instead.
Posted By: twinky Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 23rd May 2011 7:42pm
thats awful, we need to take control of our park again!! x
Thanks for sharing tinypip, and putting things in perspective.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 23rd May 2011 8:31pm
Maybe I am just getting old but what ever happened to Park Keepers? Me and my mates were all terrified of them when we were kids! Getting nabbed by the "Parkie" was not something any of us fancied one little bit!!
And yes all the parks used to close at Sunset. Gates were locked. No-one would be in the park after dark, unless up to no good...
I'm turning into my grandad aren't I - "Whatever happened to the good old days..."
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Calls for extra security in Central Park - 23rd May 2011 8:56pm
I rarely venture to the Park, after dusk.
Several years ago-England v Italy in a quarter final, in a footy match, was it Euro?)
My lad, aged 14 or 15 at the time, was attaked without provocation.
He was knocked out cold. His mate brought him home-evidently concussed.
i got him up to to arrowe park, largley he was 'asleep' in the bay. But every now and again he would 'wake up' and shout "whats the score, mum?"
if i remember right, England had beat Italy 4-1
wot tournament was it?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral