Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wirral girl, 7, impaled on bicycle handlebars - 3rd May 2011 5:41pm
A LITTLE girl who accidentally impaled herself on her bike's handlebars was recovering in hospital today.
Aleisha Hibberd, seven, was playing in the back garden of her home on Marlowe Road, Liscard, when she fell off her bike and the brake on the handlebars plunged into her stomach.
Her parents called paramedics just after 3.30pm yesterday, but they were unable to free her from the bike and firefighters had to be brought in to help.
A crew from Wallasey arrived at the large semi-detached house and used cutting gear to chop up the bike.
Aleisha was taken to Arrowe Park hospital for surgery with the handlebars still inside her.
Initially, the accident looked very serious, with paramedics alerting surgical teams at Arrowe Park that they were coming with a critically ill casualty.
But later in the evening relieved relatives waiting for news at the family home were told a CT scan had shown Aleisha's injuries were not life- threatening, and she would not have to be taken to Alder Hey.
The red-haired pupil of St George's Primary School, in Leasowe, was kept in hospital for observation last night and her parents stayed by her bedside.
Gran Pat Kennedy, who stayed at the family home to support Alicia's three brothers and grown-up sister, told the ECHO: 'We were here at the time.
'I don't really know what happened.
'Her brother said she was hit in the face with a towel while she was riding her bike and slipped over and then fell on the handlebars.
'It was as simple as that. She just fell off her bike.
'I know it was stuck in her, but I couldn't watch. It was too much.
'The ambulance came, but they couldn't get the handlebars out so they called the fire brigade and they chopped the bike up.
'We're so grateful to everyone who helped.'

THE ECHO
Nasty, this happened to my brother on Bidston Hill the handlebars went into his chest,
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wirral girl, 7, impaled on bicycle handlebars - 3rd May 2011 11:11pm
Heard this on the radio, poor girl.

St Georges is in Wallasey Village not Leasowe.
Poor thing....................fancy being Ginger!!!!

No honestly, here's to a fast recovery for the wee lass.....oh and some hair dye wink
Let hope for a full recovery, and that health and satefy bods realise that this was a freak accident, and that its safer to have brakes on bikes, than to remove them from a safety point of view.
It does make you think about the design of the brake handles though, its exceptionally hard to puncture your stomache with a blunt instrument. But fluke accidents do happen.
Originally Posted by Necronuss
Poor thing....................fancy being Ginger!!!!

No honestly, here's to a fast recovery for the wee lass.....oh and some hair dye wink

poor post, no need for that when the poor girl is ill.
I agree that is an awful comment, have some respect !
Why mention the hair colour in the first place,it's irrelevent!
If she was black would they have mentioned it?
Insensitive remark by Necronuss.
Indeed, but best read with a pinch of salt, and notify if you are not happy.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Wirral girl, 7, impaled on bicycle handlebars - 6th May 2011 11:38pm
were is admin on here? what an insensitive remark.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Wirral girl, 7, impaled on bicycle handlebars - 6th May 2011 11:39pm
withthat
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral girl, 7, impaled on bicycle handlebars - 7th May 2011 12:18am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Let hope for a full recovery, and that health and satefy bods realise that this was a freak accident, and that its safer to have brakes on bikes, than to remove them from a safety point of view.

They'd have to ban towels too. Very unfortunate set of events. Hope she has a swift recovery.
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral girl, 7, impaled on bicycle handlebars - 7th May 2011 1:15am
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Why mention the hair colour in the first place,it's irrelevent!
If she was black would they have mentioned it?
Insensitive remark by Necronuss.

It was in the story -
The red-haired pupil of St George's Primary School, in Leasowe, was kept in hospital for observation last night and her parents stayed by her bedside.

Yes I know that is what I was refaring to ,the news artical!
Then I said that it was an insensitive remark by the poster.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral girl, 7, impaled on bicycle handlebars - 7th May 2011 9:52am
Very irrelevant, what next, the small breasted lady was.......... or the man with nasal hair....... no point to it at all, nothing to do with the accident.
Exactley!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral