Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 5th Apr 2011 6:50pm
Jury retire in trial of Wirral teachers Stephen Dickman and Graham Stothard accused of sex abuse

JURORS have retired in the trial of two teachers accused of sexually abusing a 14-year-old pupil in the early 1990’s.

Wallasey School teacher Stephen Dickman, 58, is alleged to have had an 18-month sexual “affair” with the schoolgirl.
[Linked Image]
His co-accused, fellow teacher and former Wirral magistrate and Labour councillor Graham Stothard, 53, is accused of abusing the girl on a single occasion after being introduced to her by pal Dickman.

Dickman, of Kenilworth Road, Neston, denies three offences of indecent assault, representing an alleged course of conduct.

Stothard, who represented Ellesmere Port in the 1990’s, denies two counts of indecent assault.

But prosecutor David Owen told Liverpool Crown Court jurors that the men had taken advantage of the vulnerable youngster, who is now in her mid-30s.

She claims she began a relationship with languages teacher Dickman, then 40, after writing him a letter revealing she had a crush on him.

Mr Owen said it developed into regular sexual contact, “everything short of intercourse”.

During the course of their “affair” she claims Dickman arranged for her to visit former colleague Stothard, then 34, at his Parkgate home.

It is alleged Stothard, now of Lagos, Nigeria, then performed two sex acts upon the youngster and persuaded her to reciprocate.

Both men deny the charges. Dickman told jurors he remembered the girl and attempted to support her after she revealed to him she had had an abortion. But he insists there was no sexual activity between them. Stothard told jurors he had no memory of ever meeting the girl.

Jurors have now retired to consider their verdicts.

THE ECHO
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 5th Apr 2011 8:32pm
Still don't think people should be named before being convicted of these sort of offences, mud sticks too easily. Its too easy for allegations to be made up whatever the reason.

If their guilty - feed them to the dogs!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 5th Apr 2011 8:40pm
Yup I was thinking this too, without taking sides there seems to be an epidemic of people being easily accused wether it be a grudge or for compo....
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 5th Apr 2011 8:54pm
or even sheer devilment!
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 5th Apr 2011 10:58pm
The CPS,must have thought there was enough evidence for this case to be brought before the courts!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 6th Apr 2011 8:58am
Hahaha Mr Dickman, French teacher, always thought he was a seedy little man! Proper disciplinarian, always used to take the piss out of Mr [censored] as he was obviously known. He always used to suck up to the girls, and make lads lives a misery - was deffo flirting with em and trying to get in their knickers!

I remember when I was about 13 or 14, I was in the French block and innocently said "alright sir mate" as you do... and flew right off his head saying im not his mate, who did I think I was, and have some respect lol, and sent me to the deputy head Beeching, but I had better idea's and went to one of the other deputy heads, Mr Hughes, where I knew I was guaranteed an informal, pleasant chat, a cup of tea, and a few biscuits lol!

Loved that school! laugh
Posted By: spannerman Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 6th Apr 2011 5:48pm
I too have fond memories of the sadistic egomaniac...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 6th Apr 2011 5:53pm

Wirral teacher Stephen Dickman jailed for having sex affair with teenage pupil

A TEACHER was jailed after being found guilty of having a two-year sexual affair with a pupil 20 years ago.

Jurors found Wallasey School teacher Stephen Dickman, 58, guilty of indecently assaulting the 14-year-old girl in the early 1990s.
[Linked Image]
Languages teacher Dickman, who was still working at the school before the allegations came to light, shook his head as the verdicts were delivered, but showed no other emotion.

Jailing him for 30 months, Mr Justice Calvert-Smith said Dickman, of Kenilworth Road, Neston, Wirral, had taken advantage of his position.

He said: “The offences represent a gross breach of trust by a school teacher in respect of one of his pupils.

“Those who use the schools system are entitled to expect schoolteachers entrusted with the care of our children during the school day will treat then with appropriate care and not abuse that trust.”

The High Court judge said he had reduced the sentence because it was the only time Dickman had “succumbed to temptation”.

He was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register indefinitely and will be permanently disqualified from working with children.

Peter Davies, defending, said: “This will finish his career.”

His co-accused, fellow teacher and former Wirral magistrate and councillor, Graham Stothard was found not guilty of two charges of indecent assault.

It was alleged the 53-year-old had molested the same girl after being introduced to her by his pal Dickman.

Mr Stothard, who now lives in Lagos, Nigeria, had denied ever meeting the youngster.

During the week-long trial jurors heard Dickman kissed the girl after she wrote to him revealing she had a crush on him.

A sexual relationship, which involved everything but intercourse, then developed until the day before her 16th birthday.

Wallasey School head Philip Duffy said: “Stephen Dickman was suspended in January 2010 as soon as the allegations came to light.

“I will be meeting school governors as soon as is possible to discuss the outcome of this case.

“In the meantime, I would like to reassure parents and pupils that the welfare and wellbeing of our pupils remains paramount.”

THE POST
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 6th Apr 2011 5:56pm
Strange outcome to believe the girl on one offence but not the other, I'm sure there were good reasons, just curious what they could be???
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 7th Apr 2011 6:42am
matt would you be surprised to know mr hughes is still there !!!

im now intrigued as to what years you went there smile
Posted By: delta6 Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 7th Apr 2011 7:22am
i was there too 85-91.
wasnt too fussed on him myself.

beecham excluded me from there in 91 after i went to get our football from the school roof!!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 7th Apr 2011 7:23am
id left by then
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 7th Apr 2011 8:07am
I went in the late 90's/early 2000's started in yr 9 though as I went to Birkenhead School previous to that!!

Theetan was acting head iirc. And Hughes is a legend, all the kids seemed to respond positively to him, including myself, and he didnt have to shout or get intimidating/aggressive to maintain his authority, he would rather remain calm and get to (and address) the root cause of the issue instead.

Probably why he is still there I guess, hold on to ya best staff!

This don't look good on Wallasey School though, especially with what happened to Duano a few years back!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 7th Apr 2011 8:20am
yep "yozzer" hughes was a decent fella, taught us all rowing and science

he did like to lob the board rubber about though shocked
Posted By: delta6 Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 7th Apr 2011 10:28am
agreed - hughes was sound when i was there!
what happened with duano?

are miss lands and miss lloyd still there?

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 7th Apr 2011 1:12pm
Dunno, the word on the street was, he got done for raping an 80 year old. Something like his wife died, and he got depressed, and went mental??

Ill have a look around the net for the story smile
Posted By: wirrl33 Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 26th Sep 2011 9:23pm
I find the outcome of the trial ridiculous - how a jury can decide that someone is able to tell the truth about one person and, as part of the same story, lie about another, does not seem logical.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 27th Sep 2011 12:12am
I wonder if this is in any way related to the terrible Neston Crypt stories?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 27th Sep 2011 12:20am
Originally Posted by Shambo
I wonder if this is in any way related to the terrible Neston Crypt stories?
what may that be then sir?
Posted By: Shambo Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 27th Sep 2011 12:36am
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Neston+Crypt
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Wirral teachers accused of sex abuse - 27th Sep 2011 10:36am
I think the jury works on the evidence presented, there might have been enough evidence to convince them of one incidence but not enough evidence to convince them of the other and sometimes charges are scrubbed round through technicalities of law. It's the way I see it happening anyway, someone else might be able to enlighten me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral