Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 11:01am
300 sign protest petition against New Brighton homes plan

New Brighton residents claim they are paying a high price in terms of noise and disturbance for the resort’s multi-million pound regeneration.

A major revamp of the coastal strip is on course for completion later this year and the new Floral Pavilion theatre has proved an outstanding success since its opening a couple of years ago.

Now developers Neptune are seeking planning approval for a complex of 24 apartments with stunning sea views to be built next to the theatre on Marine Promenade.

People living at the rear of the development in Victoria Parade, however, are far from happy at the prospect.

They claim that roads around the theatre are already being used by theatre-goers causing parking problems for local residents.

Cars already park all over the town square at the bottom of Victoria Road and double yellow lines prove to be no detriment.

They claim further that if the apartments are built it would mean considerably increased traffic and noise pollution day and night to add to theatre traffic.

The objections are lodged with Wirral planning authority and will be studied by the planning committee on Thursday night.

Planners have recommended approval for the scheme, which has been amended from an earlier application which included restaurants, bars and cafes on the ground floor.
Councillor Lesley Rennie, Wirral Council cabinet member for streetscene and transport services, said she and council colleagues had always nursed concerns about the volume of traffic New Brighton’s revival would generate.

She said: “Although we always supported the Neptune project we were sceptical about the traffic impact study.

"We were concerned about the traffic coming into the resort and some of the fears expressed by residents indicate that congestion could already be happening.”

Councillor Rennie said she had not received any complaints directly from residents but she was prepared to set up a meeting with them and local authority engineers to investigate the situation.

Neptune has determined that the market would not support the original scheme and the revised development is on a smaller scale with fewer but larger apartments.

Although the New Brighton Partnership supports the new plans, a 308-name petition, opposing the scheme has been submitted by Resort, the business association for New Brighton.

A further petition of 26 names has been lodged by Wirral Civic Society.

A Resort spokesman said they would continue to press the council to reject the present scheme.

THE GLOBE
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 11:09am
What's the problem with these residents. Would they rather that no development took place and their area just turned into a ghost town with boarded up places along the front. So what, it's a bit of extra traffic which along with it will bring a lot of money in benefiting them in the long run by making it a more desirable place to live.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 11:50am
i agree wigi, i think anything that brings regeneration to an area can only be a good thing, new brighton used to be a seaside town all hustle and bustle and happy times, now the front is just railings and car parks. think of all the jobs that will hopefully be created as well. If oaps want to retire in peace then may i suggest a retirement complex, with others who want the same thing. nothing wrong with wanting peace and quiet, but ther is nothing wrong with peole wanting to enjoy their life, and their facilities either.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 11:55am
If you don't like crowds of strangers parking around your pad then don't get a house in a resort, or near a theatre, or near a football stadium etc. I think it's asking for trouble. It's like people who buy houses in the country and complain about cockerels, hayricks and cow shit. Bloody hell, it's not rocket science is it?
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 12:01pm
Agree Bandy,same when i'm on the canal,snobs come out and say you can't moor there,outside our newly built pad.

canals were built for boats not for muppets who want to live near water,go and buy a house somewhere else,us canal boats have been around for the last 2 hundred years!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 12:02pm
Where do you park your horse then poodle?
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 12:10pm
HaHa,exactly bandy british waterways have put barriers up so no horses allowed on towpath,had to resort to good old diesel engine!
Posted By: paulph25 Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 1:14pm
it's like moving by a pub then complaing about the noise!

It's good to see jobs and people on it's way back to new brighton
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 1:21pm
As a resident of Upper Brighton I welcome New Brightons regeneration. As its been pointed out the area is a RESORT!! Sick of this "not in our backgarden" crap.

Posted By: Wench Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 1:26pm
I welcome it too. I think some have an issue with the fact that they think their property will lose value. I can see both sides - I get annoyed when people have parked like twunts outside mine, but that's because I have mobility issues at the moment and if I'm having a really bad day, it's agony every step, so my Mum having to park some considerable distance away from the house causes real problems.

It's a small price to pay though for having the new development on my doorstep. Once the new car park is finished, there won't be an issue. As for the flats - would those complaining rather have the crappy looking area they have now, where the local yobs cause trouble, or some flats with a few extra cars?? I know what I'd prefer!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 1:29pm
I feel sorry for those on Wellington rd who have had their view spoilt by a somewhat disastrous looking swimming facility.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 1:31pm
Is that the funny shaped thing on the end, Ste?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 1:52pm
I believe so, it looks like they are building a gym with a running track around the edge of it. Could be pure speculation though.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 1:56pm
A little bird told me that they had ran out of money on the pool build!
Posted By: Wench Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 2:19pm
This is what they are building - Clicky

They were told that Morrisons had to be finished last so that they didn't just build that and left the rest. It will all be completed AFAIK.

I can't wait if I'm honest!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 2:35pm
I think it looks good and I would like to think I would use it, but I can understand people getting annoyed about parking. We've got stuck down there when the Floral has been kicking out. Its a nightmare! But on the whole I'd say its about time New Brighton got a secong chance. smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 3:47pm
How about building another tower and ballroom huh? frown
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 4:31pm
The ones who are monking about people parking outside their pads....I wonder where they park and whether they give a toss about the people who live near where they are going. I would guess, probably not. It's like the tossers near here who speed past my pad but have 20mph signs up where they live, talk about bugger you Jack I'm inboard.
Posted By: Wench Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 4:43pm
I don't drive so don't park outside anyones house and Mum has her own drive wink If she goes out anywhere she either parks in a proper car park or gets the bus.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 4:50pm
I'm not having a go at you Wench, am on about the moaners in New Brighton. Sorry to hear about your probs I only have a clicky knee now and again and that gives me the screaming ab dabs.
Posted By: Wench Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 4:54pm
That's ok Bandy wink I live in New Brighton too. The knee is fubar'd, it's due to be trimmed and sanded down in the next week or so (again).

I'm off to have another coffee out of my Cambridge University cup while I watch the Boat Race. COME ON THE LIGHT BLUES yipee
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 26th Mar 2011 5:50pm
The New Brighton regeneration scheme has and will be a good thing for the seafront. Okay there are always people who are against change but they are all loving the new floral theatre and they will be there shopping in the new morrisons when it opens.

You can follow the progress of the build via a live webcam:

http://www.wirralcam.org/new_brighton_phase2.shtml

As soon as I can move to New Brighton, I am..:)
Posted By: stuieray Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 28th Mar 2011 10:19pm
These moaning residents are the main reason why the Wirral, New Brighton in particular can't have nice things!!
Posted By: Andy13 Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 28th Mar 2011 11:04pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
As a resident of Upper Brighton I welcome New Brightons regeneration. As its been pointed out the area is a RESORT!! Sick of this "not in our backgarden" crap.

couldnt agree more!!
Posted By: Razzi Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 29th Mar 2011 8:27am
Has to be said tho, those roads behind the floral and the New brighton bowls are very very tight and parking for the residents seems to be an issue now nevermind adding to it with another build.I'm not slating the riverfront build as i think that's brilliant, but I don't think i'd like to live there and have to park my car 3 or 4 streets over were i couldn't keep an eye on it, especially with the number of cars that are stolen in and around new brighton and i'd be seriously Pee'd if i had installed cctv to keep my car safe and some other unknown bugger who had parked in my space was benefitting from it while mine car was out in the boonies.So maybe the "moaning residents" have a legitimate reason for not wanting it ... and saying it's their fault New Brighton in particular can't have nice things , well, look , they got that spiffing rusting clown on the roundabout if thats the councils idea of a "nice thing" they can keep it

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 29th Mar 2011 9:10am
My pop lives on the sea front next to the Chelsea he don't care less what is goin on outside. As long as he can get into his car park. But I don't think It should be made, It's a pain in the neck gettin past that bit as it is. There is enough crap apartments down there. No matter what gets done to newbrighton it will never be as good as years ago. Just the fat cats makein a quick buck, wrecking are nice seaside with new age shit.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Petition against New Brighton homes plan - 1st Apr 2011 5:25pm

Protestors' dismay as New Brighton apartments plan shown green light

Plans to build an apartment block next to New Brighton’s showpiece Floral Pavilion have been given the green light by Wirral Council.

Approval for the Neptune scheme was given in the face of strong opposition in the form of a 308-name petition submitted by Resort, the business association for New Brighton.

A further protest petition of 26 names was lodged by Wirral Civic Society.

Twenty-four apartments with sea views will now be built adjacent to the Floral pavilion on Marine Promenade. The original scheme had included restaurants, bars and cafes on the ground-floor.

Local residents complained that the development would create considerable increased traffic and noise pollution day and night to add to theatre traffic.

Ward councillor Tony Pritchard expressed concern the scheme went against the local "Unitary Development Plan" - a blueprint which guides planners about what is appropriate for certain areas.

He said: “What message does this send out to other developers?”

Joy Hockey from Wallasey Civic Society claimed the scheme did not provide any investment or employment for the resort.

Wirral planning committee chairman Cllr Dave Mitchell said many changes had occurred since the implementation of the UDP 11 years ago and the Government had changed planning guidelines many times since then.

He said the planning applications had been supported by a majority of the committee.

He commented: “I imagine the scheme is a key part of the whole redevelopment of New Brighton and it can now move forward.

“There is nothing worse than trying to improve an area than having a derelict site in a prominent area.”

The committee was told commercial interest in the original plan had been poor.

Neptune development director Rob Mason said some potential investors in phase two of New Brighton’s £65m regeneration had “encouraged” them to reduce the amount of space for bars and restaurants.

He told the committee the original scheme had been conceived in 2006 when there had been a different economic climate.

Mr Mason observed: “We did significant market testing and we listened to what people said.”

THE GLOBE
© Wirral-Wikiwirral