Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Lance Corporal Paul Langton honoured for bravery - 25th Mar 2011 12:07pm

Ellesmere Port soldier Paul Langton honoured for bravery under Taliban attack

CHARGING into an enemy attack to make sure casualties could be evacuated earned a Mersey soldier a top gallantry honour.

Lance Corporal Paul Langton, 24, of the Mercian Regiment, will be awarded a Mention in Despatches for courage under fire when his quick-thinking helped to protect two men seriously injured in a Taliban ambush. The casualties were being attacked with gunfire and grenades as comrades tried to treat them.

Paul, from Ellesmere Port, directed one heavy machine gunner where to return fire and then turned on the enemy with his own machine gun, while the casualties were taken to safety.

But the rest of the ground patrol were still pinned down by accurate enemy fire, so he charged towards the enemy with his light role machine gun.

His citation said: “This immensely courageous act of bravery silenced the furthest enemy position allowing the patrol to extract.

“His action was both gallant and decisive. L Cpl Langton chose to place himself in danger to protect others.”

THE GLOBE
so proud of our troops xxx
Well deserved. Very proud of all our troops
Great, I hope he wears his medal with pride. These lads are the cream. Not so long ago that I was at the funeral of another Langton (John), went down with the Nimrod that crashed. I still remember him, R.I.P.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral