Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Wallaey Village Green Lane - 20th Jan 2011 4:51pm
I have been down there 2 or 3 times today and there have been police vans close to the corner Green Lane/ Northcote Road. Sides of large van said mobile police station and the small one said something like 'road accident forensic'. Large vasn was still there at 4.45 but the small one drove off 10 mins earlier.

Anyone any info?
Posted By: IanPenny Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 21st Jan 2011 8:55am
chatting to my boss, it was investigation into an accident, said there was blood on the pavement so sounds like a serious one.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 21st Jan 2011 9:30am
No doubt the word will get around locally. I will keep listening. A lot of the chat in that area comes from the mums who congregate after dropping off their kids at Greenleas school

Posted By: woodley Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 5:36am
offtopic
Hi Snod. I have no idea how to contact you other than this, so here I go. I don't know how I stumbled on the link you put up referring to your Dad's memoirs. I have NEVER read anything as moving as this. I have just spent an age printing the whole thing and intend to have my husband bind it in one of those folder things. [He is a Vietnam vet and buys and collects all books from WW2]. You must be so proud of your Dad and also his ability to write all this at the age he was. My condolances to you. What a great loss his passing must have been for you. I love the part where he tells of his pride in you. I have great respect for a truly great man.Ruth
Posted By: woodley Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 5:59am
My husband has just started glancing thru' your Dad's memoirs and wonders if you have ever considered having them published. He and I both think it is worth considering.
Parts of it almost brought me to tears.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 6:22am
Ruth, i tried to contact you through PM, in case you were not aware you could contact Snod by this means, Just thought i would let you know i couldn't PM you because your settings must be set at not receiving private messages. If this is a deliberate setting, thats fine, just letting you know in case it isn't.
Posted By: woodley Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 6:40am
Bert. I haven't got a clue about settings and things. I'm totally computer illiterate. I'll have a look and see if I can figure it out. Thanks a lot.

Just had a look at My stuff and still can't figure it out. Told ya I'm hopeless away from very basic
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 6:49am
OK Ruth

MY stuff
Edit preferences
Scroll down to, Accept private messages,
Tick the yes Box
Down to bottom of page and press Submit.
Posted By: woodley Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 12:07pm
Thanks. Think I've done it. Sent you a test to check.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 12:10pm
Returned, click on flashing envelope
Posted By: woodley Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 12:44pm
well I'll be .... how good is that?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallaey Village Green Lane - 23rd Jan 2011 2:56pm
Ruth

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated. Yes, very proud of dad and his achievements.

I have to say that I am at a bit of a loss to know what to do with the original script of dad's wartime memoirs. By that I mean a printed text plus the originals of all the appended documents eg the important signals, the letters from the C-in-C, Montgomery letter at embarcation for D-day etc. I did approach the museum that now looks after the RASC 3rd Div items but their reply was not really encouraging.

In addition to his wartime memoirs dad also wrote his business memoires. Pre-war he started as office boy with Morris & Jones tea importers in Wood St, Liverpool. He went back to them after demobilisation and very young ages advanced through the company from buyer to tea blender until he became Managing Director of that company and of a few with whom they were associated. Eventually Morris & David Jones became part of Oriel Foods and then Safeway/Morrisons. The old Morris & Jones offices/ distribution centre in Wood St Liverpool are now a posh pub and office suite - named "the Tea Facory".

http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/projects/tea-factory

Dad's early history through to the late 1960s is a fascinating personal story and can be repeated. After that dad wrote a lot about the "internal politics" of the company and (especially) of some of the individuals concerned. Some of those views are probably better not expressed in open print.

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral