Forums
Posted By: reddragon No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 2:34pm
No visitors to Wirral Hospital
By Andy Downton

Arrowe Park is temporarily suspending all in-patient visitors because of flu.

A number of staff are off work suffering with cold and flu like symptoms.

The visiting restriction applies to all general in-patient wards at Arrowe Park Hospital in Upton with some restrictions for the Wirral Women & Children’s Hospital on the same site.

Restrictions will be in place from 4pm on Monday 29th December until further notice.

Tina Long, Director of Nursing and Midwifery at the Hospital is seeking public support for this action “We are asking visitors to please bear with us at this time and not to come to the Hospital to visit friends or family members unless they are very seriously ill. This temporary suspension of visiting will help us to concentrate on looking after those patients who need to be in Hospital. We will of course lift this restriction as soon as we can.”

Only in exceptional circumstances, and at the discretion of the ward manager will visiting to the general wards be allowed, and only to patients who are critically ill.

Tina said “If you have articles for patients such as clean nightwear, cards or reading materials, we have made arrangements for these to be left with our staff at the Hospital’s Main Reception and we will ensure that these are delivered to wards as soon as possible.”

She added “On behalf of the Trust, I apologise for any inconvenience that these temporary measures may cause to visitors and patients but we will lift the restriction as soon as possible.”

Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 2:37pm
Shouldn't that be Wednesday 29th.
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 2:37pm
its wednesday the 29th today ???

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 2:46pm
They've never done that before, or have they?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 3:08pm
I don't know about here Rude but they have done it in Devon before now albeit individual wards rather than the whole hospital.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 3:20pm
Cant be easy for anybody!
Posted By: davaw1 Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 5:14pm
Are all the reporters from the Wirral Globe from out of town? or do they just lack geographical knowledge of the Wirral? They frequently say places are in diffrent places. Arrowe Park Hospital in Upton? Isn't Arrowe Park Hospital about 1.5 miles from Upton?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 5:46pm
It's classed as upton..

Arrowe Park Hospital. Arrowe Park Road, Upton, Wirral, Merseyside, CH49 5PE
Posted By: davaw1 Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 6:03pm
But it aint really Upton, like places on the Beechwood aint Prenton?
Posted By: little_pob Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 6:26pm
The address WUTH use for Arrowe Park is Upton. However, the sign to show you are entering Upton (town boundary?) is a bit further down Arrowe Park Road, roughly opposite The Stirrup pub.

Searching the Royal Mail website using the postcode, it comes up as Arrowe Park Hospital, Arrowe Park Road, WIRRAL - indicating, as far as the postcode boundaries go, that it isn't classed Birkenhead (Birkenhead an Wallasey have their own sorting offices, the rest of the Wirral is partly sorted at Chester).

I presume the Upton office deals with the mail.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 6:32pm
Ohhh. Does it matter, really?
No visitors? Thats grim, for the hospitilised peeps. Altho, this must be necarssary!
Posted By: little_pob Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 6:41pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Ohhh. Does it matter, really?

Not in the slightest...
No visitors? Thats grim, for the hospitilised peeps. Altho, this must be necarssary!
I don't recall a "blanket ban" on visitors in the 8 years I've been at WUTH. Obviously "we've" had individual wards closed due to winter vomiting etc. Last year was close with swine flu, but ITU, CCU and Duchess of Westminster remained open as far as I recall.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 8:39pm
Yes heard about that on the tv.
Good move I think!
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 10:31pm
If I was in hozzy I would love no visitor's, a bit of peace from wife and kids :-)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 10:36pm
Great...til you find that you got No Clean Knickers!!
Posted By: chris7777 Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 10:47pm
They've never done that before, or have they?

i've never heard of them doing that before! if anyones got flu they would'nt be going to visit relatives would they?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 10:55pm
Common sense, i would've thought? ! But, obviously there are idiots who visit a Hospital with the 'flu!!!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 29th Dec 2010 11:42pm
why does it need to restrict visiting hours due to lack of staff? People are going to see their loved ones etc, not cause any bother or a riot?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 10:44am
It isn't because of lack of staff it is because people, not thinking straight as usual, are going to the hospital to visit even if they've got flu, colds, sneezing, coughing (and lets be honest nobody covers their mouths any more) and passing shoit on to people who are trying to recover. If people can't think for themselves then the authorities have to think for them.
It's a hard loif.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 11:08am
Fair one, I cant stand people not covering their mouths when they cough, annoys me to death.
Posted By: bert1 Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 11:12am
Or picking their nose and eating it, thats a bad one.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 11:15am
Originally Posted by bert1
Or picking their nose and eating it, thats a bad one.

It's a bloke thing. Usually done while sitting in their car in the belief that no one can see them wink
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 11:27am
It's a bloke thing? It's a bloody bloke thing? You feminist, don't start bert off.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 1:53pm
Oh god I feel sick!
Posted By: bert1 Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 2:12pm
Don't do any hospital visiting.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 2:30pm
It was your nose thing that set it off!
Posted By: bert1 Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 2:48pm
What about a runny nose and silver sleeve, or licking it off with your tongue, I'll get my bucket. seeyu
Posted By: Anonymous Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 2:54pm
Can we keep on topic please peeps.. happy
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 2:54pm
That's done it,projectile vomit!!!!!
Posted By: bert1 Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 3:04pm
Don't want to upset Jase, so I'm spewing it. hi
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 30th Dec 2010 3:08pm
Sorry Jase I get carried away. Had to say sorry to Summer few days ago!
Posted By: Bandageman Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 2:14pm
Last year Arrowe Park Hospital closed wards down to stop the risk of infection spreading. But they did not shut the whole hospilal and only allowed public in in special cases.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 2:31pm
Shame they cannot close it to visitors all the time. Rules on wards about how many patients are allowed to abed and use of alcogel for infection conrol are completely ignored by most visitors.

My dad was in the lung assessment unit where it is very risky to get an infection. Some patients had 8 visitors stacked around their bed.

Of course infection control is not just an issue with visitors. Despite annual Infection Cotnrol training I would say staff don't put ant of it into practice. The lung assessment unit was filthy and some staff had no regard for hygiene.
They need to go right back to basics IMHO. No uniforms worn off duty. The uniforms should be made so they can be washed at high temperature rather than just 40 degrees. And there is a lot to be said for the bow ties that the doctors used to wear - much more healthy than a normal tie trailing germs from patient to surface to patient
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 3:21pm
withthat with softy
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 3:28pm
I thought that the wearing of ties had stopped?
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
I thought that the wearing of ties had stopped?

That would be great if it has
Posted By: MissGuided Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 6:59pm
Ties and nothing below the elbows - no wristwatches, jewellery (apart from a wedding band). Yes I went on the training a few times - even though I was admin without direct patient contact! I spotted so many no-no's when my dad was in. Staff are not supposed to wear lanyards anymore either - should have a badge on a clip on their uniform. I spotted a couple of nurses - including a student (who incidentally was eating while helping a patient into bed one day) who ignored the 'no dangling lanyard' rule. Then of course there were nurses who wore no ID badge at all who were therefore contravening a part of the Trust's Data Protection Act...

I could go on...cobwebs over the nurse's station in the corridor...blood caked into the hinge of a finger blood oxygen monitor (on my dad's finger), also dried blood on the wire of the monitor (which he often held in his fingers and fiddled with)...when they cleaned a bed when a patient was moved it was a farce - stripping the bed down to the mattress then wiping it with disnifected wipes - no boiling hot water and bleach, just an over-sized baby wipe! Then when they were all done this pointless little sign appeared on the table by the bed which went along the lines of: 'This area has been completely cleaned ready for the next patient'. I noticed though that under the bed was a screwed up piece of hand towel and a rubber glove.

Welcome to the Ukrainian Health Service!
Bring Back Matron !
Posted By: MissGuided Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 7:05pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Bring Back Matron !
Hattie Jacques?
Posted By: Bandageman Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 7:31pm
To stop infection spreading would'nt it be best for a medical staff person to only wear their uniform when they are at work. Not come home with it in their car, train, bus,or taxi and risk the spread of infection
Originally Posted by Bandageman
To stop infection spreading would'nt it be best for a medical staff person to only wear their uniform when they are at work. Not come home with it in their car, train, bus,or taxi and risk the spread of infection

........ or in other words wink

They need to go right back to basics IMHO. No uniforms worn off duty. The uniforms should be made so they can be washed at high temperature rather than just 40 degrees. And there is a lot to be said for the bow ties that the doctors used to wear - much more healthy than a normal tie trailing germs from patient to surface to patient
Posted By: kimpri Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 8:24pm
Originally Posted by Bandageman

........ or in other words wink

withthat wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 1st Jan 2011 9:04pm
Softy got the right idea. I was in hospital in '98. Remember the mass panic over the state of the place when 'matron' was due.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 2nd Jan 2011 2:07pm
UPDATE: Arrowe Park Hospital: One visitor per patient may be allowed at managers' discretion

ARROWE Park Hospital says one visitor per patient once a day may be permitted at the discretion of ward managers.

Visiting restrictions were announced on Wednesday in an effort to combat the spread of the swine flu virus.

On Sunday afternoon, a senior hospital manager said that although the restrictions are still in force, one visitor may be allowed per patient: "We are hoping to restrict this to once a day and unfortunately no children will be allowed at the moment.

"However, all visits will be at the discretion of the ward managers, and anyone wishing to visit Arrowe Park Hospital should telephone in advance."

The spokesman said it is too early to say at this point when the visiting ban will be removed.

The restrictions apply to all general in-patient wards at Arrowe Park Hospital.

They will be in place until further notice and the situation is being reviewed on a daily basis.

The decision has been taken to reduce the risk of visitors with cold and flu symptoms spreading infections to patients and staff.

Some visiting restrictions also will be in place on wards in the Wirral Women and Children's Hospital on the site and visitors are asked to phone the relevant ward in advance to check the position.

The hospital can be contacted by telephoning 0151 678 5111.

THE GLOBE
Posted By: Anonymous Re: No Visitors to Arrowe Park Hospital - 4th Jan 2011 6:08pm
Arrowe Park hospital relaxes visitor restrictions after swine flu shut its doors

A HOSPITAL has relaxed its visitor restrictions after swine flu shut its doors.

Each patient can now have one visitor per session at Arrowe Park hospital.

The hospital was the only one in Merseyside to take the decision to axe visiting hours on December 30 last year.

Children are still not able enter the hospital as visitors, but parents can visit patients on the children’s ward.

Six people in Merseyside have died from the disease so far this winter.

Health chiefs have advised patients to check with the hospital before they attend clinics after several were cancelled.

THE ECHO
© Wirral-Wikiwirral