Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Bin Collections - 6th Dec 2010 11:42am
Wirral Council is anticipating further disruption to bin collections this week following more extreme weather.

Since the cold weather started, gritters have been out on primary and secondary transport routes, which are prioritised by all local authorities to make the roads safer for motorists.  However, rain and snowfall has frozen, making many residential streets across the borough too icy for the wagons.

Despite being unable to collect in most streets today (Monday), Biffa crews managed to clear over 10,000 missed collections this weekend and are reviewing the situation hourly.

Councillor Lesley Rennie, Cabinet Member for Streetscene and Transport explained:

"We have worked hard to grit Wirral's busiest roads but, due to the ice and snow over the weekend, many pavements and footways are too slippery for residents and bin crews.  Anyone who has put their bin out, should leave it where it is and, if we can collect, we will.  In the meantime, we have also arranged for people on Community Payback to grit pavements in and around shopping areas and our car parks."

"We will catch up as soon as possible and will of course also accept additional side waste providing it is bagged properly. I would like to thank residents for their understanding. We are doing all we can under extremely challenging circumstances, which are unfortunately outside of our control.

"We will make sure that people are kept informed and regular updates will be available on the Council’s website: www.wirral.gov.uk and Twitter www.twitter.com/WirralCouncil."

When they are unable to undertake household waste collections, Biffa crews are working alongside Wirral Community Payback Service and the Council’s Parks & Gardens team to grit the pavements and main shoppers’ car parks. The Council is also restocking grit bins, which have been well used by residents trying to improve conditions outside their homes.

Latest information:

Green and grey bin collections
BIFFA were out at the weekend and managed to catch up on over 10,000 missed collections.

They will continue to attempt all missed and scheduled collections, however, conditions on residential streets, are currently too treacherous for the large and heavy vehicles, so it is likely that collections will primarily take place along the borough’s busiest roads. Biffa will be reviewing the situation on an hourly basis.

There is a plan in place to clear any backlog caused by the ice and this will be implemented as soon as it is safe to do so. Green bins will take priority over grey recycling bins during any catch up.

Brown bin collections
Any brown garden waste bins that were missed between 29/11/10 and Friday 3/12/10 should be taken back onto your property. These collections have not been rescheduled to enable Biffa to catch up on household waste collections.

All brown bin collections scheduled for this week (6/12/10 to 10/12/10) have also been cancelled for the same reason.

If you are able to do so safely, please take your garden waste to the household waste recycling centres. Alternatively, please store it until your next scheduled collection.

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/news/06-12-2010/update-bin-collections
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Bin Collections - 6th Dec 2010 11:52am
We'll be screwed if any real bad weather comes.

How does this country fail so much when a little bit of cold arrives? confused
Posted By: Silverback Re: Bin Collections - 6th Dec 2010 12:13pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
We'll be screwed if any real bad weather comes.

How does this country fail so much when a little bit of cold arrives? confused

Borrowed from elsewhere...

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/9712/15509746784985428471672b.jpg

Posted By: milie Re: Bin Collections - 6th Dec 2010 12:24pm
I had mine done on thursday (green) but the road behind me didn't. Outside my house is like a sheet of ice.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Bin Collections - 6th Dec 2010 10:02pm
Hoe could they not have emptied the bins on Wednesday last week? There was no ice, it wasn't even slippy! These poor binmen must be made of glass, are they scared of the cold?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 7:48am
they are made of the same stuff as council gardeners !
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 8:01am
In their defence my street was still like an ice rink all last week
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 9:02am
I don't think we can blame the actual people who collect the bins. I bet the vast majority of them want to get on with it. They love having a rummage this time of year looking for christmas gifts wink
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 9:03am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
In their defence my street was still like an ice rink all last week

mine had one snowflake freeze on it and they didn't come
somad
Posted By: starakita Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 9:10am
our roads not slippy but i suppose thered be more complaints if a large bin wagon went smashing into a line of parked cars. the bin crews are supposed to be out gritting car parks & shopping centres.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 11:06am
shud be out gritting the pavements so pedestrians can walk on them !
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 1:04pm
Originally Posted by jabber
shud be out gritting the pavements so pedestrians can walk on them !

And then have claims when people slip over.

All about insurance now.

No grit = no claim

grit = claim.

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 7:41pm
2 green Bins at the traffic lights in Duke St/Park Rd North. Been there for a couple of weeks now, crap overflowing all round them, not outside any particular premises, unless you count the post office. Council have stuck a notice on them and then that is it. The place will start looking even more like a tip as they are left there longer and people start ditching shoit all round them.
Posted By: johncon Re: Bin Collections - 7th Dec 2010 8:01pm
I live on a bus route and our road with 300+ homes on it is perfectly clear i can understand that they cannot safely clear the bins from the side roads but would it not be better to clear the bins they can rather than letting the backlog build up even more

Posted By: jenscho Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 12:43am
I see it this way, if the roads are too icy to drive down and the pavements are too slippy for the binmen to walk on, then they are too icy and too slippy for us the taxpayer to drive and walk on and they should be gritted! I know the bin lorries are heavy but so are buses and fire-engines and they have to cope! I'm fed up of paying more and more out and getting less and less back!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 10:22am
Can we withhold our council tax on the grounds the f****ng pavements are too icy and the weathers too cold to go to the offices and pay - NO CHANCE !!!
Posted By: starakita Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 1:27pm
our bins should be emptied soon,seen the bin wagon going round.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 2:06pm
Originally Posted by Nigel
Can we withhold our council tax on the grounds the f****ng pavements are too icy and the weathers too cold to go to the offices and pay - NO CHANCE !!!

No, you'll get taken to court.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 2:18pm
Went to Beeston market today,the binmen are busy in Huxley and Tiverton,Huxley is in the wilds of Cheshire,so why can't nesh binmen collect around Wirral or is the much quoted Health and Safety in operation.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 2:39pm
Cant see the problem some are having really.

From what I see the binmen are out and doing where they can get to, but please remember if your bin was due last thursday it will take priority before others are collected once access is safe.

Our's were due monday and are still out and I have no issue with that as I do understand they are probable behind schedule and they have said you can leave bags well wrapped bags at the side.
Posted By: jenscho Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 11:34pm
Just heard that the cold weather is to stay til christmas....no bin collections til new year then?!!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Bin Collections - 8th Dec 2010 11:38pm
Last time they messed up some collections by us it was summer and it all started smelling.

...on the bright side, at least the cold weather is keeping all the crap frozen shifty
Posted By: fizzbomb120 Re: Bin Collections - 22nd Dec 2010 11:17am
Any news on bin pick up between mersey park and viccy park?? cheers
sick of bins out side my house.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bin Collections - 22nd Dec 2010 11:24am
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/news Latest
Posted By: fizzbomb120 Re: Bin Collections - 22nd Dec 2010 11:26am
Good link bert ty Quick one too ;-)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral