Forums
Posted By: jemarc dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 3:27pm
my neighbour has recently had a new boiler fitted, i dont know if this is dangerous or not but the gasfitter has ran a copper pipe the lenghth of the drive along her house wall, now the drive is a shared drive the pipe has no casing or anything over it just a few fixing running the lenghth to secure it to the wall is this dangerous. it comes out the wall i presume from the meter and is about 2ft off the ground. any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Posted By: jemarc Re: dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 3:45pm
quite agree it being a risk a dont really speak to them but i think i might have a word to see what they say, it only started to worry me when i read on here about the lady having her copper water pipe pinched. shudder to think what would happen if someone tried to pinch that pipe. thanks summer x
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 4:29pm
Summer, if the fellah used his brothers registration paperwork then you should have had him done. Gas is too dodgy to faff about with.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 4:56pm
Originally Posted by jemarc
my neighbour has recently had a new boiler fitted, i dont know if this is dangerous or not but the gasfitter has ran a copper pipe the lenghth of the drive along her house wall, now the drive is a shared drive the pipe has no casing or anything over it just a few fixing running the lenghth to secure it to the wall is this dangerous. it comes out the wall i presume from the meter and is about 2ft off the ground. any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Doesn't sound right to me for external gas pipe. Call (talk to) an expert any one worth his salt surely won't charge you to tell you if it's an unsafe installation that you have there...???
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 5:20pm
It has to be sleeved by another pipe where it passes through the wall, to stop any leak getting into the wall cavity. Other than that, as far as I am aware it is normal practice.
Posted By: dodie Re: dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 5:33pm
it is the shortest route to the boiler & it is normal practice to run pipes outside a lot of people have them no danger unless damaged by some 1 dodie & steve gassafe reg eng
Posted By: jemarc Re: dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 7:06pm
thanks everyone, i'm just a bit worried with it being copper incase anyone trys to nick it, dont wont me house goin kaboom with the gas as im backin on me drive. is only bout 2ft off the ground
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: dangerous gas pipe? - 18th Nov 2010 7:17pm
Originally Posted by jemarc
thanks everyone, i'm just a bit worried with it being copper incase anyone trys to nick it, dont wont me house goin kaboom with the gas as im backin on me drive. is only bout 2ft off the ground

I was surprised it's legal - but you live and learn!
Might be an idea to paint it or sleeve it with plastic or something... make it less obvious that it's copper...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral