Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 11:00am
First time ive been effected by any kind of fraud on my bank account!

Logged on to my internet banking on Monday, only to see a payment of £1300 debited from my account!!! omg

Called the bank straight away, and confirmed it was nothing to do with me.

Turns out someone, somehow, had accessed my internet banking and set up a worldpay payment to somewhere in Palestine!

Thankfully, the bank refunded the payment back to me and have now changed all my details.....

Beware out there people!
Posted By: MikeT Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 11:05am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
First time ive been effected by any kind of fraud on my bank account!

Which bank is it? You would have expected their fraud monitoring systems to flag up a payment to somewhere dodgy like Palestine!

Posted By: StuyMac Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 11:17am
HSBC

I have had calls in the past when Ive payed foreign lands via paypal, but this had been setup using my internet banking login and details - username and password etc.

It had been setup for me to send the money, rather than something like paypal which pulls the money from the account, which is why it wasnt flagged by them....
Posted By: bert1 Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 11:29am
It only takes one dodgy person working in any particular banking organisation and bingo, all the computer security in the world won't help you then.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 11:35am
...or by ordering an item on the HMV website...and bingo...some worker there is using your card to buy 2 air tickets to Spain.

Happned to me last year but money was refunded.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 11:43am
Half the problem is we all tend to deal on trust, we all assume that whoever were talking to on the other end of the phone is honest, the law of averages tell us thats not always the case and can't possibly be.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 11:53am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
It had been setup for me to send the money, rather than something like paypal which pulls the money from the account, which is why it wasnt flagged by them....

Hmm.. give your PC a good going over for viruses and trojans!

Posted By: Blondie Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 12:16pm
I've been a victim of online fraud too. Somebody from the USA used my details to play online poker !! Two lots £600 in the same day. Still not sure how they got my details. But it was hard to prove to my bank, that it wasn't actually me.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 12:30pm
Do you know how it was accessed (cloned card, internet)?
Posted By: Blondie Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 12:37pm
I'm not sure really, they kept me in the dark. But I did use the cash machine at the Murco garage (Leasowe Road) when all that funny business was going on.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Internet banking fraud! - 12th Nov 2010 12:44pm
All accounts are passed to the fraud department when an amount is used in a foreign country. They're used on things like gambling/poker sites and phone top ups in huge amounts. They're always cloned in petrol stations or restaurants by workers who get take the job for that purpose. wink It's quite easy to get your money back.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral