Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Queen Victoria cruise ship heads for River Mersey - 23rd Jul 2010 1:19pm
Queen Victoria cruise ship heads for River Mersey on Monday

THOUSANDS of people are expected to turn out to welcome an iconic ocean liner on its maiden voyage to Liverpool.
[Linked Image]
Cunard’s 90,000-ton Queen Victoria, which contains a two-storey library, a ballroom and an 806-seater theatre, will dock at its spiritual home on Monday, with the Duchess of Cornwall on board.

Its arrival will be a symbolic moment in its UK tour to mark the 170th anniversary of the departure of Cunard’s first vessel, Britannia, from Liverpool to Boston, in July, 1840. The Duchess, who launched the Queen Victoria in December 2007, will be present for a ceremonial exchange of plaques to mark the historic occasion.

Cllr Wendy Simon, Liverpool council’s cabinet member for culture and tourism, said:

“The visit has huge historical significance for the city and Cunard and it’s a huge boost to Liverpool’s pride and economy that vessels of this magnitude are now a more common sight thanks to the cruise terminal.’’

The luxury liner, which is the second largest Cunard ship ever built, will be carrying 2,014 passengers and 1,200 crew and is expected to berth between 9am and 9.30am, but will be visible in the Mersey estuary from 7.15am.

It is scheduled to leave the city at 11pm and its departure will be marked by a short fireworks display at 10.50pm.

Peter Shanks, president and managing director of Cunard, said: “Liverpool is our spiritual home and the welcomes our ships always receive are the ones to remember for their warmth and size of the crowds.”

In a bid to control crowds and traffic on the day, the council will put a one-way traffic system in place on Princes Parade from 7am – 11.30pm, with vehicle access only from the northern end via the Bath Street roundabout.

THE DAILY POST
Cameras out peeps! camera
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Queen Victoria cruise ship heads for River Mersey - 23rd Jul 2010 1:24pm
Originally Posted by _jase_
which contains a two-storey library,

How the hell do you return your books when they are due?

She looks impressive though. cool
camera anyone?
Heres 1.

Attached picture Wirralcam Mobile - Latest image-001.jpg
Cool pic!
Bit of editing! Image courtesy of www.wirralcam.com
You been to look Rude?
wink

Attached picture Wirralcam Mobile - Latest image.jpg
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
You been to look Rude?
yer-cant not really, can i? Lol. The carpark has been chocka pretty much all day. I may pop over for the fireworks later.
Hi

Did anyone take the ferry cruise to greet her or a viewing freey cruise ? We did got really close up for good photos and good info announced also

Jackie
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Queen Victoria cruise ship heads for River Mersey - 26th Jul 2010 7:46pm
These slab-sided floating boxes are (IMHO) hideous ! Nothing like a "cruise liner" !. They appear to be inherantly unstable. The draught they draw is completely insufficient for the weight/height/area above the waterline.

A real Force 12 sea running in some foreign pond or other, plus the windage...... over she goes ! Maybe a thousand or so folk heading for Davy Jones's Locker whilst trying to get out of their rip-off priced, upside down, pitch black "luxury" coffins/cabins.

No - I'm not a naval architect. I just have a bit of commonsense and an appreciation of basic physics.

One day baby, one day !!! Mark my words. Maybe not this floating block of flats, but a similar buoyant hideousity.You heard it first on wikiwirral ! It would be handy for future historians if Cunard changed its name back to the White Star Line. (Titanic - geddit?)

NB. It's being so cheerful that keep me going ! Now, where dem pills ?
I've got the band ready Pinz [youtube]FTOTzsCqLHI[/youtube]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Queen Victoria cruise ship heads for River Mersey - 26th Jul 2010 8:14pm
Sorry Bert - I'm busy re-arranging some deckchairs. Will speak later.
Dear Pinz. Stability by using Balast {no i did not say bollocks}
There's a "bridge cam" from the ship HERE
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
There's a "bridge cam" from the ship HERE
nice link mate!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Queen Victoria cruise ship heads for River Mersey - 26th Jul 2010 9:39pm
jimbob: Fair comment, but don't give me the facts - I've made up my mind !! ha.ha.

I saw an advert in the paper at the weekend for a cruise marking the forthcoming 100th aniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. I might give that a miss !!
Anyone remeber the old Liverpool landing stage for liners which was about a mile long (went all the way along the outside of Princes Dock) and all the ships which used to tie up along there?
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Anyone remeber the old Liverpool landing stage for liners which was about a mile long (went all the way along the outside of Princes Dock) and all the ships which used to tie up along there?
And the massive bank of tug boats that used to be parked (moored) up 4 deep. I am still looking for pictures with the massive amount of tugs.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Queen Victoria cruise ship heads for River Mersey - 27th Jul 2010 7:41pm
On a rough day with a good tide running, you could stand at the south end of the stage (near where the Salvor or Vigilant used to tie up) and look along the stage. The whole thing was "rippling" up and down with the swell. I stand to be corrected, but I think it was the longest floating structure in the world. That was of course before it was replaced by a "modern" one that quickly sank, which was replaced by one that sank again, which was replaced by a .............
Your right Pinz, known as the longest floating landing stage i believe.
The old landing stage. In the early 50s I went down under the deck of the landing stage. The reason you could see a rippling effect as you looked along its length was that the construction of the stage was a series of individual pontoons with gaps inbetween them. The gaps where close enougth for you to step from one ponton to the next. The one warning I was given as i decended the ladder through a manhole in the upper wooden deck was dont miss your step as you cross from one pontoon to the the next because due to the rush of water between the pontoons it means you will be washed away before anybody can grab you. {the warning was given by the foreman shipwright who was my father}
COOL did any 1 get any pix of the fireworks ??
Queen vic

Attached picture 4833507459_52361432a6.jpg
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
These slab-sided floating boxes are (IMHO) hideous ! Nothing like a "cruise liner" !. They appear to be inherantly unstable. The draught they draw is completely insufficient for the weight/height/area above the waterline.

A real Force 12 sea running in some foreign pond or other, plus the windage...... over she goes ! Maybe a thousand or so folk heading for Davy Jones's Locker whilst trying to get out of their rip-off priced, upside down, pitch black "luxury" coffins/cabins.

No - I'm not a naval architect. I just have a bit of commonsense and an appreciation of basic physics.

One day baby, one day !!! Mark my words. Maybe not this floating block of flats, but a similar buoyant hideousity.You heard it first on wikiwirral ! It would be handy for future historians if Cunard changed its name back to the White Star Line. (Titanic - geddit?)

Cunard was never White star. Cunard in fact took over White star after the Titanic disaster. If those container ships don't fall over with all those containers stacked on top then I doubt one of these will. I agree they don't look nice though.
Thats one of the biggest ships i have seen on the mersey
I could hear the fireworks from my house in Bebington =D
Originally Posted by Helles
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Cunard was never White star. Cunard in fact took over White star after the Titanic disaster. If those container ships don't fall over with all those containers stacked on top then I doubt one of these will. I agree they don't look nice though.
you should get a job at lairds lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral