Forums
Posted By: MikeT Fire at Magazine Hotel, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2010 4:55am
There was a fire on Sunday morning at the Magazine Hotel pub in New Brighton. The pub is currently closed "for some weeks". Does anyone know how the fire started? This was my favourite local, a very traditional pub which somehow managed to survive the "renovations" visited upon so many other old, established pubs by the pubcos in the 70s and 80s.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Fire at Magazine Hotel, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2010 6:15am
Only buzz I got was that it was an electrical fire.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Fire at Magazine Hotel, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2010 2:05pm
We used to frequent it often when we lived on Seabank Road. Pity it's been fire damaged, I hope it is sympathetically restored although that's probably unrealistic.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Fire at Magazine Hotel, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2010 2:42pm
It does appear the fire was electrical. The story I got was that the underground mains supply cable failed, but I have not seen the landlady to ask and don't want to bother her.

Hope we don't lose this pub. My granddad, my dad, my stepdad, and I all drank/drink in there so it has sentimental value for me. Mike
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fire at Magazine Hotel, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2010 3:58pm
Took pics as I was passing by...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: davymac Re: Fire at Magazine Hotel, New Brighton - 23rd Apr 2010 5:39pm
i also heard that it was an electrical fire.Apparently at the same time as the fire some house alarms in the area went off too.Possibly due to an electrical surge of some kind.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Fire at Magazine Hotel, New Brighton - 24th Apr 2010 7:17pm
Was only in there a couple of weeks ago with the missus!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral