Forums
Posted By: jemarc fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 4th Mar 2010 8:58pm
just been down Borough rd, blocked due to a fire at the petrol station looks like one of the pumps had gone on fire and there was an old scooter on the floor by the pump.anyone know whats happend
maby a fire at the petrol station ? lamethrower? just a guess tho raftl happy
Posted By: jemarc Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 4th Mar 2010 9:12pm
smart alec,lol av got that much, but does anyone know how it happend
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 4th Mar 2010 11:29pm
We talking big fire here? Explosion type thing?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 5th Mar 2010 12:48am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
We talking big fire here? Explosion type thing?

I think you are confusing this with an episode of the A-Team!

"I ain't goin' in no plane sucka"
Nah! Im not. Just wanna know the 'extent/ severity' of the fire.
Anyway, am too young to remember the 'A team'- remember the black fella wiv the bling-but thats it! wink
Re. story line- of A team and knightrider too- almost force- fed by the parents-didnt know wot was wot? A case of 'shut up+ watch this'. Thanks but nah, didnt 'get it'
'The black fella with the bling' as this what its come to? smile
Posted By: AR_One Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 5th Mar 2010 9:43am
Was an accident, don't know exactly how but a scooter cuaght fire when being refuelled. Scooter and pump were wrecked don't know how long it might be before the station is back open again.
Havnt they just rebuilt that petrol staion too think

Prolly a chav on the phone or smoking... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 5th Mar 2010 12:35pm
He's my mate he filled his scooter up and he said he started the scoot. He then said his mate shouted that his vespa was on fire. he said to me that he went to pick it back up to move it away but dropped it and ran out of the way over the road. its a proper mess. he only passed his cbt 2 weeks ago and hes only been riding 2 weeks. iam gutted for him!! he had his first rally and the eeg run coming up. hes really gutted.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 5th Mar 2010 12:36pm
And he's not a chav and wasnt on the phone or smoking.
Posted By: AR_One Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 5th Mar 2010 12:42pm
Don't have any firm info but things can catch fire because of things like fuel leaks or engine failure.

Sounds like it could of been really nasty with the petrol station going up.
Posted By: peodude Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 5th Mar 2010 12:52pm
Being on the phone is a myth anyway. It doesn't cause fires in petrol stations.
Posted By: Wheels Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 5th Mar 2010 3:51pm
Pictures: from today @ 15:30

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile
It happened to me once, my vestas were on fire.
great pics wheels
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
It happened to me once, my vestas were on fire.

raftl
The staff must have been terrified.

Anyone know why this is in Pets / Animals section??????
Originally Posted by peodude
Being on the phone is a myth anyway. It doesn't cause fires in petrol stations.

It was a much higher risk with the old analogue phones than the modern digital ones.

In a fuel or fuel vapour environment, all equipment is supposed to conform to many regulations. Mobile phones do not comply with the regulations hence the warning. Intrinsicly the pumps are designed to minimise risk because of the public access and hot car engines/exhaust etc so most of the regulations are exempted because of practicality but obviously some safety regulations must be in place.

A mobile phone transmitter is capable of creating an High-voltage, low energy spark not dissimilar to that of the piezo spark in a cigarette lighter - this is not just a hypothetical risk, although it may be considered unlikely.
Further to my above response perhaps you want to see it actually happen (also look at some of the links on the right hand side of the page).....

Clicky
Posted By: StuyMac Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 6th Mar 2010 11:09am
That clip also shows how safe the pumps are - even though there is a fire it is contained.

The flames cant go "up" the hose as only the petrol vapor can burn, there is a safety valve on the pumps, and all storage tanks are sunk underground.

The only pertol that can burn is what has been spilt.

Looking at the pics, there is a reasonable amount of damage, the bike was either overfilled and it spilt and was lit by an electrical spark from the bike, or a spark has lit a leak somewhere and the bike has been dropped and the petrol spilt that way.

The fire damage in the pics has not been caused by the few drips that remain in the pumps handle when you replace it.

Posted By: Wheels Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 6th Mar 2010 5:39pm
here is the actual video

[youtube]3WE9R5SnkU8[/youtube]
They got the hoses on it in less than 2 minutes - that's impressive!

I couldn't help but laugh at the speed those cars found reverse gear and backed out raftl
Cracking find Wheels smile
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner

I couldn't help but laugh at the speed those cars found reverse gear and backed out raftl

withthat

my thoughts both exactly
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 6th Mar 2010 8:15pm
Everyone knows to tackle an oil based fire you should throw a wet tea towel over it!!
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner

There's a break in the video at 1:22
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 7th Mar 2010 12:11am
I am the Mum of the scooterist who's Vespa went on fire. He is only 16 and a member of the 'Shed of Shame Scooter Club. He filled up without spilling petrol. Engineers think that a static spark from his clothing lit petrol vapours around the pump(apparently very common). As you can see on the CCTV he tries to move the scoot away from the pump but the flames are too much so he places, not drops, it on the floor. He ran to the side of the building to phone the fire brigade.
A customer 'John Harvey' was also on the phone to the emergency services when the shell cashier asked him what the phone number for the fire brigade was!!! I would be more worried about this than someone using a mobile phone!!!
Personally I am very proud of my son. He was praised by the Fire brigade and police for his reaction and told to have done anything different could have resulted in his death. I have written to the echo so they can straighten the facts of the story.
Yes I agree, the Fire Brigade where fantastic!
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am very proud of my son

I'll go with that - the shock of a fire starting like that and the realisation that it is in a petrol station is enough to freak most people out - he did very well to remain focussed.

Thanks for the feedback - always greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: fire at shell petrol station on borough road - 7th Mar 2010 12:50am

Personally I am very proud of my son.

Fully agree.
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

Personally I am very proud of my son.

Fully agree.

withthat
Sound lad, kept pretty cool in the circumstances. Well done that boy.

happy
Well done, saw it going to work the next day and was wow!

Love the car that turns up on the video with the flames dead high and still starts to drive in!
Neil from the Shed of Shame is my brother. He owns the Shed full of junk and scooter bits.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral