Forums
Posted By: abcdefgh St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 31st Jan 2010 9:58pm
I cant believe it, they said they had no money to keep above church going but they can afford to give huge amounts of dosh to All Saints Church, god knows what theyve done with it. Then it emerges that 'they' have now purchased a house for a priest to live in. They have actually spent £260,000 on a fine detached house on Gorsehill Road, New Brighton, disgusting, for one person! Its the 1st house on the right hand side as you go up. mad Heads should roll.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 31st Jan 2010 10:42pm
Since the closure of Ss Peter & Paul the congregation have moved to All Saints. I suppose thats why the money is spent on All Saints. When you look at both churches I think its cheaper to run All Saints then the much larger Ss Peter & Paul.

Even though Wirral Council have told the Diocese of Shrewsbury that they must do something about Ss Peter & Paul, in regards to it decaying, I think the church will end up being demolished.

Sad day for New Brighton and Wallasey as a whole if we lose such an iconic landmark.
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 31st Jan 2010 11:00pm
Ss Peter and Pauls church is a listed building, can it be demolished? Also, All Saints is not a catholic church and most of parishioners have gone to other churches, English Martyrs, St Albans. You know, things dont change for the better just wished when they did, they could be implemented in a more sympathetic way.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 31st Jan 2010 11:47pm
The Catholics have their Mass at a different time to the Anglicans of All Saints. All churches are suffering with low attendance and huge maintenace costs. Expect a fair few churches to close - including St. Lukes and Manor Church Centre.

As for Ss Peter & Paul being a listed building. So was Liscard Hall and looked what happened to that.
Posted By: Tatey Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 1st Feb 2010 8:01am
When they do demolish it, it's going to be dusty in my yard !!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 1st Feb 2010 1:08pm
Originally Posted by Tatey

It will indeed Mike! You have to tell me how you got on looking into the history of the place of where you live.
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 1st Feb 2010 11:24pm
I just hope something can be done to save SS Peter and Pauls, I know the parishioners are still fighting hard. I hope it doesnt end up like Liscard Hall....dust.
Posted By: gossipking Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 2:27pm
I'm resurecting an old thread to let you know that it was announced in service this morning that the Catholic Church will no longer be purchasing All Saints Church from the Church of England as perviously agreed. They have changed their mind at the 11th hour mad

All Saints Church will now close and become another empty (and in time, no doubt, derelict) building in Wallasey. It isn't a listed building so I expect it to be bulldozed for some dreadful 'new build'

The closure will be VERY soon (weeks!) but we are hopefull that we will still have a Church come Christmas.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 3:16pm
Thats dreadful news to hear. I hope you can keep us up-to-date on any further news.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kimpri Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 3:29pm
What a shame,
Yet more faceless flats I suppose.
Posted By: gossipking Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 5:40pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Thats dreadful news to hear. I hope you can keep us up-to-date on any further news.

I am hoping it will get the same front news publicity, from the local press, that SS Peter & Paul got when they were closed back in 2008.

Word on the street (or should that be in the asiles ;)) Is that SS Peter & Pauls may get some kind of grant from English Heritage and will move back in to Atherton Street. This would answer the question as to why they decided to pull out of the purchase of All Saints. However, this it just speculation.

Can't help thinking this is all about £££'s
Posted By: sparky Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 5:48pm
What sad news, this church is used by Mount Primary School for services at Christmas. Where will they go when it closes.
Yes it is about £££s and it is disgraceful that faceless accountants run (ruin) our lives more and more every day.
Posted By: janet Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 6:56pm
Sparky, whilst I agree it's very sad, a church is for life not just for Christmas! Perhaps if more people remembered this and were regular attenders churches would not be in the sorry state that many are in.
Very true. I think the same about pubs too.
Posted By: kimpri Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 7:19pm
Originally Posted by tigertiger1953
Very true. I think the same about pubs too.
get a taxi joyride to your local laugh
my local is 150ft away!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 8:18pm
It is indeed a great shame but the reality is many of our churches are facing difficult financial problems due to falling attendances. In my History of Wallasey Churches I found a repeated familiar pattern that many of the churches that have been demolished did so because they could not repair any damages or pay for general upkeep. Some churches were demoilshed and smaller ones were rebuilt ie Egremont Baptist Church and Emmanuel Church.

We will start seeing a few more churches closing in Wallasey...

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 8:40pm
Ive just come back from a Memorial Service at St Pauls in Wallasey. Found out that 'normal' services are held at the church hall! Sad,innit?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 8:55pm
Mum and Dad were married there and many other relatives.
Sign of the times though RUDE,as I said on Friday,I don't do the God thing!!!
Posted By: Toaster Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 11:11pm
For Christ's Sake (pun intended) It's a building associated with lie's "Which was/is believe us or be tortured to death!" I love the Dark Ages many of are family members died! I say build the flats at least people can live in them and believe the lie's that come from there T.Vs instead!

Pished Knob x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 11:18pm
[quote=Toaster

Pished Knob x[/quote] WHO?
Posted By: Toaster Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 11:35pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
[quote=Toaster

Pished Knob x
WHO? [/quote]

Me! Or it could be the knob to the door which is pished and can no longer see the sea from the shore Ha Ha lol x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 14th Nov 2010 11:40pm
Fair do wink lol
Posted By: Toaster Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 15th Nov 2010 1:25am
TaX MAN!?
Posted By: Tatey Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 15th Nov 2010 9:10am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

It will indeed Mike! You have to tell me how you got on looking into the history of the place of where you live.

Must have missed this post Paul. I know the history of my place since it was converted into a dwelling some 50 years ago & have a couple of pictures when it had a boat in the yard. Also got a knock on the door one day from an American lady who was a descendant of the Pickering family of "Monte Bello" Unfortunatly she couldn't stay long.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 16th Nov 2010 5:49pm

mine too ! im really close to it, will be interesting to collect a set of pics of its demolition
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: St Peter and Pauls Church, New Brighton - 16th Nov 2010 6:16pm
What a waist frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral