Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 18th Jan 2010 6:34pm
MERSEYSIDE councils are counting the cost of filling hundreds of potholes which were created by the recent freezing weather.

Liverpool Council has put six extra gangs out to inspect roads and expects an increase of 30% in the number of potholes found when compared to normal conditions.

A spokesman for the city council said it was not yet possible to put a price on the damage that had been created by “freeze-thaw” weathering, which damages the roads in wet and particularly freezing conditions.

Water in cracks in the road expands into ice causing the surface of the road to break up and deeper than usual potholes to form.

The spokesman said: “We have a vigorous inspection scheme in place to make sure we assess the damage.”

Cllr David Sparks, chairman of the Local Government Association Transport Board, said councils were working flat out.

He said: “Councils spend millions to ensure that roads are safe and potholes are filled. The latest cold weather means that they are working flat out to fill in the ones created during the last month of freezing weather.

“Potholes are the gaping sores in our road network and councils know how much motorists want to see the proverbial bandage being applied.

“Getting people safely from A to B is at the top of every council’s agenda.

“The wet combined with the freezing conditions destroys tarmac very quickly. As the ice seeps into the road it expands and rips chunks of the surface out leaving potholes blighting the highways.

“After the snow comes the repairs and councils are working flat out to keep drivers safe by fixing the holes as quickly as possible.

“However, some ground is now waterlogged meaning the bituminous material will not stick.

“Temporary solutions will be used where necessary until the weather improves.”

THE ECHO

What an Excuse.... raftl
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 18th Jan 2010 6:53pm
Hall Lane in Liverpool (runs across the top of the Royal hospital site) is diabolical, be careful if you have to venture along it.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 18th Jan 2010 8:23pm
..flat out... raftl

Attached picture flat out.jpg
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 18th Jan 2010 8:33pm
Well, if any damage comes to your car by running over a pot hole, take pictures and document what happened and send the bill to the council....

...its a good job we all pay a fortune in road tax or these would never get fixed [Linked Image]
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 18th Jan 2010 8:57pm
Originally Posted by bobi1
Hall Lane in Liverpool (runs across the top of the Royal hospital site) is diabolical, be careful if you have to venture along it.

TOTALLY agree. I drove twice along Hall Lane today, once each way. Glad I have a Land Rover is all I can say

Snod
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 18th Jan 2010 8:59pm
interesting, I might go and photo one now down the road from mine which gave my wishbones a good rattling.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 18th Jan 2010 11:13pm
There's a hole appeared near the top of the slip road off the M53 (J1) heading towards Poulton Vics roundabout (near the Toyota showroom). It's a bit of a boneshaker.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 19th Jan 2010 9:00am
Originally Posted by _jase_

Liverpool Council has put six extra gangs out to inspect roads

Gangs? Why can't just one bloke go round the streets or just listen to local residents who complain. and then 2 blokes go fill one in... move onto the next one... fill that in... and so on... simple.
It would be a lot easier if they actually spent our road tax on the roads...
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 19th Jan 2010 9:06am
There's a hole appeared near the top of the slip road off the M53 (J1) heading towards Poulton Vics roundabout (near the Toyota showroom). It's a bit of a boneshaker.

I think I know the one you mean.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 19th Jan 2010 10:34am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
interesting, I might go and photo one now down the road from mine which gave my wishbones a good rattling.

Quite right too - any damage? If so, send the council the bill smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 22nd Jan 2010 12:41pm

£500,000 bill for Liverpool's pot hole repairs

POT HOLES in Liverpool caused by the recent ‘Big Freeze’ will cost up to half a million pounds to repair.

City bosses have put the extra funds towards the £12m it has already earmarked for road maintenance.

Water in cracks in the road expands into ice causing the surface of the road to break up, and pot holes to form deeper than usual.

The council will use innovative new technology called the Jetpatcher, which can be used by just one operator.

It cleans, fills and covers the pot hole and can be completed in one visit.

The council’s joint venture partner, Enterprise Liverpool, is also carrying out extra inspections to make sure pot holes are repaired within 24 hours of being examined by staff.

An extra six gangs of Enterprise workers have been dispatched, with the council warning it expects an increase of 30% in the number of pot holes found compared with normal weather conditions.

THE ECHO
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 30th Jan 2010 12:34am

I'm pleased to inform you this road has now been re-laid.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 30th Jan 2010 2:34am
Couldn't think the roads could get any worse! At least it's nationwide, and not isolated to Wirral Metropolitan council, for a change.

I don't think they're that poorly maintained, it's when pipes etc are repaired, and when they're filled in, they're done so badly!!!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 30th Jan 2010 6:50pm
Go and take a drive on the main road from Clatterbridge to Heswall, and tell me the roads are well maintained.

All theyve done is place signs up saying Damaged road... and thats it.

Any damage to my car, and the council WILL be getting a bill somad
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 30th Jan 2010 7:11pm
Originally Posted by MGCraig
Go and take a drive on the main road from Clatterbridge to Heswall, and tell me the roads are well maintained.

All theyve done is place signs up saying Damaged road... and thats it.

Any damage to my car, and the council WILL be getting a bill somad

And they will send a letter out sayin you were warned.

As they have forwarned you that their is damage to the road they have covered their tracks.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Councils Count the cost of Potholes - 31st Jan 2010 2:30am
I did that route today, the bit by the Bassett Hound pub is particularly bad, as is the bit alongside Landican Cemetery. At least I spotted 2 gritting lorries on route (hurrah) although the one that did a 360 degree turn at the Landican roundabout had us all going for a bit, do ya don't ya no, ya don't I'm bigger than you lol.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral