Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wirral stream is polluted - 26th Aug 2009 2:18pm
Investigation underway after Wirral stream is polluted

AN investigation is underway after a Wirral stream became polluted.

The Globe was contacted by readers in Acton Lane, Moreton after a white milky liquid was found in the Arrowe Brook stream which runs from Greasby and alongside their homes.

The water is still white today and a stretch of stream from Acton Lane to Town Meadow Lane is affected.

An Environment Agency spokesman said officers had been called to the scene on Monday afternoon.

They have identified the entry point of the pollution from a surface water drain and are trying to find its source.

Colin Williamson, a father-of-three who lives opposite the stream, told the Globe: "It's the first time that we've seen anything like this. But talking to the neighbours it has happened before.

"I didn't know anything about it until my wife came back from the shops and told me that the stream was completely white.

"We're really worried about this and hope that whatever is in there isn't dangerous, because there are sticklebacks in there and I hope they haven't all been killed. The water looked like milk."

Doug Gore, who was among the team investigating the spillage, said there was no evidence of dead fish.

He added: "We have taken water samples for analysis to try and identify the pollutant and our investigations are continuing to identify the source of the pollution."

THE GLOBE
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Wirral stream is polluted - 26th Aug 2009 3:31pm

That looks like some sort of oil/grease in the water - My guess is a local company trying to cut costs, Id imagine more of this type of behavior is going on now-a-days
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Wirral stream is polluted - 26th Aug 2009 7:01pm
The fender used to be the same.It should be self clensing with all surface water running down it.People were putting washing machine pipes into the same grid as the roof run off. which is a seperate system .The fender had soap suds and nothing living in it. It is still sterile after a big check years ago on the house grids.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral stream is polluted - 28th Aug 2009 11:29am
Originally Posted by pacef8
i cannt see it being milk but white spirit used for cleaning paint brushes looks like that.

pace
© Wirral-Wikiwirral