Forums
Posted By: jonno40 Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 5:24am
Chimps' break for lunch forces public from zoo

10 hours 34 mins ago
Reuters

* Print Story

Chester Zoo, the country's most popular wildlife attraction, was evacuated on Sunday after 30 chimpanzees escaped from their enclosure. Skip related content

The animals made their escape at lunchtime and found their way into a keeper area where their food is normally prepared.

Visitors were asked to leave the 110-acre zoo as keepers rounded up the chimps.

"We had an army of chimps eating their way through the keeper's kitchen and the decision was taken, quite rightly, to evacuate," a spokeswoman said.

"By around 4 pm we had managed to get all the chimps back in their enclosure, some of them with very full bellies."

There were no injuries to members of the public or staff and the zoo said the decision to evacuate was taken as a precautionary measure. It apologised for the incident and an investigation was underway into how the animals escaped.

Chester Zoo, in Cheshire, north west England, is home to more than 7,000 animals and attracts more than a million visitors each year.

(Reporting by Christina Fincher; editing by Philippa Fletcher)

click me
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 9:38am
i was there when this happened. though we thought it was only one or two not 30! they kept us inside the ark cafe till about 4pm
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 9:46am
I read about this on my phone at 2 in the afternoon (aus time), i was suprised to hear about it
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 11:00am
Was it scary shadow?
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 11:27am
well when it happened we didn't think nothing of it. it wasn't until after they were put backm into the enclosure that we realised how serious it actually was and that made us a bit panicky. the best thing was that they were on the one side of the zoo and we were on the other. funny last time something like this happened was when the monorail got stuck above the lions about 13 years ago and we had to wait for it to be repaired. lets just say those lions looked a bit peckish at the time
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 11:56am
You should stop going the zoo Shadow raftl
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 3:06pm
after getting stranded above lions, trapped by a bunch of chimps and somehow pi##ing off a rhino by looking at it. i think blue planet's starting to look very safe all of a sudden.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 3:13pm
try not to anger the tuna in the glass tunnel omg
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Chimp Breakout Chester Zoo - 6th Jul 2009 3:27pm
for a tuna thats a very big tuna...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral