Forums
Posted By: Anonymous claims tunnels police pulled over man for laughing - 5th Mar 2009 11:19am
Driver claims tunnels police pulled him over for laughing

A MOTORIST claims he was pulled over by Mersey tunnels police – because an officer spotted him laughing behind the wheel.

Businessman Gary Sanders was stunned when the officer stopped him for giggling.

He said he was grilled and accused of laughing with his head thrown back dangerously.

Company director Mr Sanders, 47, was eventually freed after the policeman told him he would not be charged.

But he said he wasted two hours answering questions about his appearance and ethnicity and taking his documents to his local station.

Mr Sanders, managing director of Liverpool’s Spontex Workwear, said he was stopped in the Birkenhead Tunnel.

“I was talking to my friend on hands free. I knew the police officer was behind me and, though I never speed through the tunnels, I made extra sure I wasn’t driving too fast. My friend said something funny and I was laughing – simple as that. The officer said I threw my head back in a dangerous manner but I don’t think I did.

“I never took my eyes off the road.

“I just couldn't believe it when he told me I'd been pulled over for laughing.”

The officer spent 35 minutes questioning him before he was told to take his documents to the police station.

He said that took an hour and a half and made him miss an appointment.

Mr Sanders said he was stopped several months ago, but told his story after hearing a radio broadcast on robotic policing yesterday.

Mr Sanders said: “I was kept there answering unrelated questions about my ethnic group and if I had any distinguishing marks.

“It became a bit ridiculous when he wanted to know the colour of my hair because I have alopecia and there isn't a hair on my head.

“The police should have better things to do than harassing law-abiding people in this way.”

A spokesman for Merseytravel, who operate the tunnel police, said Mr Sanders had been marginally over the speed limit.

“To suggest one of our officers would pull anyone over for laughing is ridiculous. Our logs show that action was taken for entirely different reasons.

“The Tunnels Police are there to ensure people travel safely through the tunnels. Care and attention is paid to ensuring this is done right."

THE DAILY POST
I've just read this from the Telegraph. This is rediculous - we are soft targets for the police. I'm waiting next - hay fever season, all the sneezing, coughing, hands off the wheel to rub my eyes. Do you think they target certain cars? Maybe an in-house bet for crazy ways to pull over motorists? Are they THAT bored?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral