Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Police to review wife killer case - 20th Feb 2009 5:05pm
Evidence relating to the conviction of a man who was jailed for life for the murder of his pregnant wife in 1993 is to be reviewed by Merseyside Police.

Eddie Gilfoyle was convicted of killing his heavily-pregnant wife Paula, who was found hanged in the garage at the couple's home in Upton, in June 1992.

Police are looking at notes taken by officers at the scene and a later inquiry into the handling of the case.

Gilfoyle has lost two appeals against his conviction and remains in prison.

Suicide note

A Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "We are reviewing this information with the Crown Prosecution Service.

"We will then decide whether to refer the case to the Criminal Case Review Commission, any other body or agency and what further action, if any is required to be taken."

At his trial, the prosecution argued that Gilfoyle had fooled his 32-year-old wife into writing a suicide note and somehow persuaded her to climb a ladder in their garage with a noose around her neck.

The noose later went missing and was never tested for DNA.

Last year Alison Halford, 67, who was assistant chief constable of Merseyside Police at the time of Mrs Gilfoyle's death, said she believed there had been a "huge miscarriage of justice".

Prosecution witness Professor David Canter, a criminal profiling pioneer, has said he has changed sides and now believes the conviction to be unsafe.

Mr Gilfoyle's sister Susan Caddick said she was "absolutely astounded" at the news of the police review.

"This is evidence that the defence and several other investigations have been asking for, for a long, long time."

In a comment sent via campaigners, Mr Gilfoyle said: "I am really pleased about the developments in the case.

"I told the truth 17 years ago. There was never any proper evidence against me.

"Anyone who looks at my case will see there was no forensic evidence.

"Two appeal courts have ignored misconduct. This new development shows more of what I've been saying from day one."

Gilfoyle's first appeal was rejected in 1995 and a second was dismissed in 2000.

THE BBC
Posted By: hoseman Re: Police to review wife killer case - 20th Feb 2009 7:23pm
e lived in Grafton Dve, upton, I lived at number 41, top of the road when it all happened!!!! Remember it all, police, forensics etc.
Previously unseen notes, that were never used in court state he was at work, and the coroners time of death proves it!!
Dont know, never knew him altho only abour 20 houses away!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral