Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Historic German U-boat on display - 10th Feb 2009 4:42pm
A German submarine has gone on display on Merseyside as the centrepiece of a new exhibition.

The U-534, one of only four remaining in the world, faced an uncertain future after the closure of the Historic Warships Museum in Birkenhead.

It was bought by ferry operator Merseytravel for one Euro (£0.87) in 2007 and cut into four sections, before being taken to Woodside Ferry Terminal.

Visitors can now see inside the vessel as part of the U-Boat Story exhibition.

Each of the vessel's four sections has now been illuminated from the inside with glass panels over each end.

One of the three T11 Zaukonig advanced homing torpedoes found on board is also on display.

Artefacts from the U-534 can be seen in an adjoining exhibition centre, including an Enigma Coding Machine, interactive displays, filmed interviews with survivors, a pictorial history of life on board and personal effects of the crew such as clothing, cigars and playing cards.

[Linked Image]

Neil Scales, Chief Executive and Director General of Merseytravel, said: "We designed an attraction which reinforces the Mersey Ferries links with the history of underwater warfare - and we have further plans to extend this theme.

"The ferries themselves were awarded the prefix 'Royal' because of the role their predecessors' played in the raid on German U-Boat pens at Zeebrugge during the First World War."

The exhibition opens to the public Today
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 10th Feb 2009 5:49pm
Wasn't there a post about this very recently, jase?

we were all coughing and spluttering at the cost of admission.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 10th Feb 2009 5:52pm
ye somewere miss i could not find it.sorry not got the head for it today:o:
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 10th Feb 2009 5:53pm
sorry, didn't mean to mock you frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 10th Feb 2009 5:55pm
lol happy
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 10th Feb 2009 5:56pm
I came across that way on another thread and felt a bit poo about it. frown
Posted By: yoller Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 12th Feb 2009 7:40pm
I was down at Woodside this week for the first time in a few months and was horrified to see that they've plonked a German submarine right in the path of one of the best views of the Mersey - a view known to millions and seen in countless postcards and photos down the years.
What in God's name were Merseytravel thinking of, putting this monstrosity next to the most famous ferry terminal in the world - a ferry terminal that doesn't need dubious 'visitor attractions' to enhance its appeal?
Neil Scales, Chief Executive and Director-General of Merseytravel, refers to the use of the Mersey ferry boats in the 1918 Zeebrugge raid as the reason for having the U-boat at Woodside and is quoted as saying: "We designed an attraction which reinforces the Mersey Ferries' links with the history of underwater warfare - and we have further plans to extend this theme."
Well, that takes some beating for a tenuous connection. Links with the history of underwater warfare? What rubbish.
I admit the U-boat is interesting, but couldn't a less sensitive spot have been found for it somewhere in the town? As it is now, it's absolutely ruined Woodside. Does anyone agree?
Posted By: Northender Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 31st Mar 2009 1:58am
Hello

Here is my video from last year when they first brought the U-534 to Woodside. This video features my original pictures from 1998 when the U-Boat was at the Museum in Wallasey, as well as video footage and pics from 2008:

[youtube]CgMG5dBe1bg[/youtube]
Posted By: Northender Re: Historic German U-boat on display - 15th May 2009 4:11pm
Here are some pictures of the U-534 Museum at Woodside taken last Sunday 10 May:

U-534 Gallery

© Wirral-Wikiwirral