Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Liverpool FC captain Steven Gerrard arrested - 29th Dec 2008 3:06pm
Liverpool FC captain Steven Gerrard arrested after disturbance
no

LIVERPOOL FC captain Steven Gerrard was one of six men being quizzed by police today after officers were called to a Merseyside bar.

The 28 year-old was arrested in the early hours of this morning following a disturbance at the Lounge Inn, in Bold Street, Southport.

A 34 year-old Southport man was taken to hospital with facial injuries.

His injuries are not though to be serious.

Police arrested six people on suspicion of section 20 assault in nearby Lord Street.

As well as Gerrard four men, aged 33, 31, 29 and 19 and all from Huyton, and an 18 year-old from Litherland were arrested.

The Liverpool FC star spent the rest of the night in the cells and was still being quizzed about the allegation this morning.

A Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "We are investigating an assault in the early hours of the morning.

"Officers attended a licensed premises where they detained six people on suspicion of Section 20 assault. They are still being questioned.

Posted By: Sanchez Re: Liverpool FC captain Steven Gerrard arrested - 29th Dec 2008 3:14pm
over paid grrrr, and same goes to pretty much the rest, oh let me throw in rapists and drunk drivers too.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liverpool FC captain Steven Gerrard arrested - 29th Dec 2008 3:18pm
lol worth every penny is are steve g yes bowdown
Posted By: Anonymous Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 30th Dec 2008 2:23am
Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool and England footballer, has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray, police have said, after an argument over music being played in a restaurant allegedly escalated into a violent brawl.

Gerrard, 28, was charged early on Tuesday morning over the alleged fracas in which Marcus McGee, a company director, lost a tooth and needed four stitches to a head wound.

He was released from custody at Southport police station at 12:50 am Tuesday morning after police interviewed him and the other five men, aged between 18 and 33 - none of whom are team-mates of Gerrard - for most of the day.

Meryside police said Gerrard and two other men were charged with ABH and affray.

The other three have been bailed pending further inquiries.

Inspector Swan, spokesman for Merseyside Police, said in a statement: "Merseyside Police have charged Steven Gerrard, 28, of Formby, John Doran, 29, Ian Smith , 19, both of Huyton with Assault causing Actual Bodily Harm and affray following an incident in Bold Street, Southport.

"All three men will appear at North Sefton magistrates on Jan 23rd.

"Three other men who were interviewed over the same incident have been bailed.

"They were released earlier tonight."

The charges, under section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act, carry up to five years in jail.

Wearing a white t-shirt and smart black trousers, Gerrard attempted to cover his face with his hands before being driven away in a black Citroen Xsara people carrier, believed to be driven by his father.

The Liverpool captain had been celebrating Sunday's 5-1 win over Newcastle United, in which he scored twice, when a row is said to have broken out involving Mr McGee about the music being played at The Lounge Inn in Southport, Merseyside.

Gerrard is understood to have asked Mr McGee, a friend of the restaurant's owner, if he could borrow a swipe card which staff must use to operate the music system behind the bar.

Mr McGee is said to have refused to provide his card.

Mr McGee, 34, a father of two, also suffered cuts to his face and a swollen eye.

He declined to talk about the incident as he recovered at his home in Southport, but his mother Patricia said: "He was just out for a drink with his partner and I have no idea how he became involved in this.

"He lost a tooth and the whole family is really shaken up. I'm looking after his two little girls at the moment and we just can't believe this has happened."

Gerrard, who lives in Formby, Merseyside, is a regular customer at the Lounge Inn, where spots of blood and shards of broken glass could still be seen on the floor on Monday.

John Watts, whose daughter Eve had been celebrating her 35th birthday at The Lounge Inn, said Gerrard appeared to be sober and in good spirits shortly before the alleged attack.

He said: "When Steven Gerrard found out it was my daughter's birthday he bought her a bottle of champagne. He seemed in very good spirits. He wasn't drunk at all. He and his party were in a separate room and I believe some of the people who were with him were footballers, though I couldn't name them."

Mr Watts, who left the venue 15 minutes before the alleged fight, added: "It was a really civilised occasion in a middle-class bar."

Tis always the way Liverpool do well and a player you dont expect goes and fooks it up for himself.

Lets see how rafa handles this then as if it was any other player thy would bee dropped and fined
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 30th Dec 2008 11:23am
I was gonna write some thing that went on for ages etc etc but I couldn't be arsed
I just call him a Grrr, cause he is.
Why can't these apes stop fighting? It's like they're five years old.
"It was a really civilised occasion in a middle-class bar." raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 30th Dec 2008 10:37pm
In Southport raftl

The thing is, the Magistrates' Courts rarely hand out the maximum sentence anyway.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 30th Dec 2008 10:41pm
The music must have been really bad to get in a fisty cuffs to change it think
Posted By: Anonymous Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 3:11am
He faces serious charges carrying up to five years behind bars, but Steven Gerrard was reassured yesterday that he can carry on playing for club and country.

Both Liverpool and England publicly backed the £120,000 a week footballer hours after he was charged with affray and assault occasioning actual bodily harm following a nightclub brawl.
[Linked Image]
Gerrard leaving Southport police station after his arrest for assault

His club offered him 'all the support he needs' while the Football Association stressed that any question about his future international career was 'not even an issue for discussion'.

The FA said that if a player is convicted of a serious offence then 'it would be looked at, but on a case by case basis'.

The attitude of English football's governing body is in marked contrast to its handling of the Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bowyer case in 2000 – when both players were charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray following an attack on an Asian student.

The FA decided neither men, then playing for Leeds in the Premier League, would be available for selection for England pending their court case and both were left out of the squad for the 2000 European Championship finals.

Woodgate, who was subsequently cleared of causing GBH but sentenced to 100 hours community service for the affray, was recalled by England in 2001.

Earlier this year Bowyer, who was acquitted of both charges and won his only England cap in 2003, accused successive England set-ups of having double standards in their attitude to his off-field problems.

'Why can other people represent their country when they've had problems and I couldn't,' he asked? Gerrard has played 70 times for England and captained the team four times.

England's next match is a friendly against Spain in Seville in February – almost three weeks after Gerrard is due to appear in court – then three vital World Cup qualifiers in April and June.

Gerrard, 28, was charged early yesterday after being arrested following a fight in the Lounge Inn, Southport, 24 hours earlier.

The Liverpool captain, who was made an MBE last year, went there with friends on Sunday evening following his team's 5-1 win at Newcastle.

Two other men, John Doran, 29, and Ian Gerard Smith,19, both from Huyton – where Gerrard grew up – have also been charged with affray and assaulting businessman Marcus McGee, 34, who lost a tooth and suffered cuts and bruises.

Gerrard, Doran and Smith are due to appear before North Sefton magistrates in Southport on January 23.

Two men, aged 33 and 31 from Huyton, were released on police bail pending further inquiries along with another footballer, Bobby Grant, 18, from Litherland, who plays for League Two club Accrington Stanley.

Liverpool Football Club gave their full backing to Gerrard in a statement saying: 'Steven has been an outstanding servant to Liverpool for the last 10 years and the club will give him all the support he needs at this time.'

Mr McGee, a father of two, was yesterday recovering from his injuries at his bungalow on the outskirts of Southport. His partner, Gina Lond, and friends who visited him refused to comment.

[Linked Image]
A bloodstained towel on the dancefloor at the Lounge Inn

According to witnesses, the Manchester United fan was in charge of the bar's music system and had refused to let Gerrard select a song.
They said Mr McGee pushed Gerrard in the chest, at which the England star knocked him in the face with his elbow before one of his friends allegedly smashed a beer bottle over the 34-year-old's head.

After being released from custody shortly before midnight on Monday, Gerrard returned to his £3million mansion in nearby Formby.

Last night a friend said Gerrard was agonising over what had happened but had received the backing of his team manager, Rafa Benitez.

[Linked Image]

Blood splattered on the floor of the Lounge Inn

He can't talk about the incident for legal reasons, but nobody is giving him a harder time than he's giving himself,' the friend added.

'Just 15 minutes before this happened he was talking to his old manager Kenny Dalglish about his wife's breast cancer charity.'

A Liverpool FC source said: 'The whole club is 100 per cent behind Stevie and that includes the manager who has told him as much.'
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 3:16am
just making a mockery due to it being gerrard no
I bet if he gets the right scouse officer whos a supporter he'll get away with it smile watch this space lol
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 11:37am
So, Gerrard punched the fella, AFTER he was pushed back, and his friend jumped in with a bottle...

So basically, Gerrad didnt commit the worst assault on the fella, and yet look at how everyone is jumping at the chance to put him down.

If I was in the same situation, an arguement broke out and the other fella struck first, Id have no problem smacking him one. Im sure a lot of you are the same, and if you say otherwise, then frankly I think youre not being realistic.
Posted By: Wench Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 11:38am
It's down to the CPS now Lee. I wonder if it will be someone like Rex Makin representing him think
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 12:01pm
i hope the judge is a blue !
Posted By: Wench Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 12:02pm
Sanchez - you have a truly evil side raftl
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 12:10pm
nooooo i dont J, im just a twaat
Posted By: Wench Re: Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray - 31st Dec 2008 12:45pm
raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Rafa Benitez backs skipper Steven Gerrard - 31st Dec 2008 8:02pm
LIVERPOOL manager Rafa Benitez today gave Steven Gerrard his full backing after he was charged with assaulting a DJ.

The Reds boss, who returned to training today for the first time since undergoing surgery on a kidney stone problem a fortnight ago, said: "Steven is our captain and a key player for us, but more than this, I know him as a nice person.

“I sat down with him this morning and had a very good talk with him about the situation and I was also able to speak at length with our club lawyer.

“Steven explained to me what had happened and I told him he has my full support and backing, along with everyone else at the football club.

“He has trained with the other lads this morning after a couple of days off for the squad and is keen now to focus solely on his football.

“We have worked very hard to get into the position we are in going through to the New Year and all of us are determined to keep that progress going.

“We will do whatever we can to support Steven in the weeks ahead, but we are now concentrating on our preparation for the FA Cup game at Preston this weekend.”
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig
If I was in the same situation, an arguement broke out and the other fella struck first, Id have no problem smacking him one. Im sure a lot of you are the same, and if you say otherwise, then frankly I think youre not being realistic.

He didn't strike - he pushed. And if someone pushed me I wouldn't put my ELBOW in their face!!! I'd back away and try to reason. Of course its also complicated by the fact that he has friends/minders/hangers on who like to glass people. If it were me - I wouldn't bring such friends to a relaxed night out. Plus thank god I don't have any friends like that!!!
well maybe so, but Ive learnt from the past not to back off and dawdle, because by that time, their 11 or so best mates from South Wirrl or where have you, All jump in because a 1 on 1 fight is out of the question.

Always fun to meet up with them later, when theyre by themselves.

I dont condone fighting, but if it means protecting yourself and your friends, no hesitation whatsoever.
I still don't understand why he used his elbow - maybe it is exceptionally sharp and pointy - a bit of a girly move...
Elbow is the strongest part you can hit someone with, like the knee.

A half arsed elbow shot does more damage than a well placed punch... Maybe he went for the take down think
Or maybe the birdy song was playing at the time - I'd deck any DJ for that. I think Gerrard was in the 'my-arms-are-really-wings' maneuver. Hence the true embarrassment and inability to talk for 'legal reasons' - yeah right! The one in the red shirt is Gerrard! lol
[youtube]qeswZaReE0I[/youtube]

WARNING: Don't watch this to the end - your brain is likely to melt and spill out of your nostrils and ears.
Posted By: Anonymous GERRARD 'BRAWL' VICTIM MARC: I FEAR KOP FANS - 1st Jan 2009 9:27pm
THE Manchester United supporter allegedly assaulted by Liverpool hero Steven Gerrard is living in fear of attacks by rival fans.

Marcus McGee, 34, emerged from his house yesterday for the first time in 48 hours since shattering a tooth in a bar brawl.

Sporting a hat to mask a plaster covering a head wound, the double glazing firm boss walked out to his car shortly after police arrived at his home in Churchtown, near Southport, Merseyside.

He made no comment as he went to and from his year-old Mercedes R320 Cdi hatchback.

But he opened his mouth briefly revealing damage to his right front tooth.

Neighbours revealed that the dad-of-two fears he could become a target for abuse since allegedly clashing with Gerrard, 28, at the Lounge Inn in Southport in the early hours of Monday.

The England midfielder has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm and affray and is due to appear in court in three weeks.

North west rivals Liverpool and Manchester United are set to go head-to-head in the battle for this season’s Premier League crown.

Since the alleged assault builders have been busy boosting security at United supporter Mr McGee’s detached bungalow – moving fence panels into the back garden and planting conifers near the windows.

One neighbour said: “Some Liverpool fans will blame him for the fact that Steven Gerrard is in court.

“He’s scared some idiot may do something stupid.”

Mr McGee was standing in as a DJ at the town centre bar when the incident happened.

He needed three stitches to a head wound and will need surgery to repair his damaged tooth.

Yesterday Gerrard left his £3million mansion in nearby Formby, to head to training with his team mates. He met Liverpool’s manager Rafa Benitez, 48, to discuss his situation.

The club has vowed to give him “all the support he needs”.

And last night Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish rallied behind the beleaguered skipper.

He and wife Marina, 55, had been chatting to Gerrard in the bar and left 30 minutes before the incident.

Kenny, 57, said: “He had been telling us how he and his wife Alex wanted to get more involved with helping Marina’s charity.

“He was there with his lifelong friends enjoying himself at Christmas time.

“Steven was happily signing autographs for people – co-operating with everyone’s requests.

“When we found out what had happened the next morning after Marina and I had left we were so surprised.

“Now at this time he needs a lot of people around him to support him, and he could not be at a better football club for that.

“The Steven Gerrard I know is not just a great footballer but a really good person as well.”
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: GERRARD 'BRAWL' VICTIM MARC: I FEAR KOP FANS - 1st Jan 2009 10:13pm
just saying that for compo wink

OOOO i find it hard to go out now etc etc, bollocks, you watch, lets see what he claims for wink
Don't give up your day-job Mr McGee
Posted By: Anonymous Re: GERRARD 'BRAWL' VICTIM MARC: I FEAR KOP FANS - 3rd Jan 2009 2:16pm
Steven Gerrard to lead Liverpool's FA Cup push

RAFA BENITEZ has given Steven Gerrard his total backing – by telling his captain he will start today’s FA Cup clash with Preston despite the criminal charges hanging over him.

Gerrard will start the third round tie at Deepdale following one of the most difficult weeks of his career.

The Reds skipper is due to appear in court later this month having been charged with assault and affray following an early hours disturbance at a Southport bar on Monday.

There had been speculation that Gerrard would be left out of today’s meeting with Preston but his manager has made it clear that the 28-year-old will be in his starting line up and backed him to keep up his recent outstanding form against the Championship outfit.

“Steven is really focused on football,” said Benitez.

“He is training normally and his relationship with his team mates is normal.

“You can see from the way he is training that he has got his mind on the game and he will definitely play against Preston. He will be involved because we need him on the pitch.

“Steven knows that he has our support but it will also be good for us to have him in the team because he is playing very well at the moment.

“I have spoken to Steven and the lawyer and for me it is clear he needs to be supported.
Posted By: Anonymous Coleen Rooney’s brother arrested over bar brawl - 15th Jan 2009 1:07am
COLEEN Rooney’s brother was arrested by police over the bar brawl that landed Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard in court.

Police arrested Anthony McLoughlin, 19, from Huyton, yesterday on suspicion of assault and affray.

Mr McLoughlin was questioned in connection with the brawl at Southport’s Lounge Inn in the early hours of December 29 before being bailed last night.

Today a spokesman for Coleen confirmed her brother was arrested.

He said there would be no further comment from Coleen, her younger brother Anthony or her husband Wayne Rooney.

Gerrard was charged in connection with an attack in which local businessman Marcus McGee lost a tooth after he was punched in the face.

A Merseyside police spokeswoman said: “The 19-year-old male from Huyton who was arrested on suspicion of assault following the incident at the Lounge Inn, Southport, in the early hours of December 29 has been released on police bail pending further inquiries.”
Posted By: Anonymous Arrest made in Gerrard bar case - 16th Jan 2009 1:59pm
A 28-year-old man has been arrested over an attack in a bar which saw Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard charged with assault.

Merseyside Police said the man is being held on suspicion of assault and affray over an attack on a 34-year-old man in Lounge Inn in Southport on 29 December.

Gerrard and two others have been charged with assault and affray.

Coleen Rooney's brother Anthony McLoughlin was arrested earlier this week and released on bail.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Arrest made in Gerrard bar case - 17th Jan 2009 11:07am
Man is bailed in Gerrard bar case

A 28-year-old man who was arrested over an attack in a bar in which Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard was charged with assault has been released on bail.

Merseyside Police said the man was held on suspicion of assault and affray over an attack on a 34-year-old man in Lounge Inn in Southport on 29 December.

Gerrard and two others have been charged with assault and affray.

Coleen Rooney's brother Anthony McLoughlin was arrested earlier this week and released on bail.

Gerrard, 28, of Formby, Merseyside, is due to appear at North Sefton Magistrates' Court in Southport on 23 January along with John Doran, 29, and Ian Smith, 19, both from Huyton, Liverpool.

Posted By: Sanchez Re: Arrest made in Gerrard bar case - 17th Jan 2009 3:58pm
louts.
Posted By: Anonymous Police out in strength for Gerrard case - 22nd Jan 2009 1:49pm
POLICE officers will be out in force outside North Sefton Magistrates’ Court this Friday, to prevent any trouble as Liverpool FC star Steven Gerrard appears before JPs for the first time to answer an assault charge.

Special measures will be put in place for the Freshfield resident’s appearance in the dock with at least 25 police officers expected to be manning the court in a bid to curb any potential public disorder outside. More bobbies will be deployed to control Southport’s traffic flow.

A designated area for news crews and paparazzi will also be created in front of the building with any press required to present a pass to gain entry to the court building.

Members of the public will not be allowed access to the public gallery.

Gerrard scored in Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with Everton at Anfield on Monday night, with the two sides facing each other again in the FA Cup at 4pm on Sunday.

Speaking of the court measures being put in place, a Merseyside Police spokesman said: “There will be a lot of people down there on the day and we are putting these measures in place to minimise disruption.”

Police meanwhile have quizzed a further two people in connection with the alleged attack.

28-year-old Accrington Stanley goalie Ian Dunbavin was arrested at his Southport home last Friday and was questioned on suspicion of assault and affray before being bailed pending further inquiries.

The former LFC youth player was out with Gerrard on December 29 after a fight broke out in the Lounge Inn on Bold Street, Southport town centre.

Southport businessman and part-time DJ Marcus McGee was left with bruises and a missing tooth .

Ian Dunbavin started his career at Liverpool and in a chapter of Steven Gerrard’s autobiography called “Teenage Kicks” Gerrard describes him as “a really good friend of mine”.

Coleen Rooney’s youngest brother, Anthony McLoughlin, 19 was arrested last Tuesday by detectives on suspicion of assault and affray. He was released without charge on police bail.

The Formby Timesunderstands McLoughlin was one of the friends on a night out with the star as he celebrated his team’s 5-1 Premier League win over Newcastle.

Gerrard will face charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray. He will appear alongside John Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, and Ian Gerard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue, both Huyton.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Police out in strength for Gerrard case - 22nd Jan 2009 2:11pm
25 police eh? Money and fame does get you special privileges then.
Would've been different 10 years ago on his crappy estate.
Posted By: Anonymous Steven Gerrard appears in court on assault charge - 23rd Jan 2009 2:23pm
LIVERPOOL FC captain Steven Gerrard appeared in court today charged with assaulting a dad-of-two at a Southport bar.

[Linked Image]

The 28-year-old did not enter a plea during the short hearing at North Sefton Magistrates Court, in Southport.

Dressed in a grey suit, white shirt and dark tie the Reds’ skipper was the first to take his place on the wooden benches in the secure dock in court number 2.

As he sat waiting for his co-accused to join him he glanced upwards to the media sitting high up in the court gallery.

Gerrard is accused of assaulting local businessman Marcus McGee, 34, at The Lounge Inn in the early hours of December 29.

He was left with bruises and a missing tooth after allegedly being punched in the face.

The footballer and dad-of-two, who also faces an affray charge, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth, address before the charges were read out to him.

When asked if he understood the charges Gerrard said yes.

He appeared alongside John Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, and Ian Gerard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue, both Huyton.

They also face assault and affray charges.

It is believed all three will be pleading not guilty.

The case was adjourned until Friday, March 20th, when the three men must appear at North Sefton magistrates court.

They were released on bail and told not to approach witnesses.

Reporting restrictions were not lifted.
Posted By: Anonymous charge dropped against Liverpool FC skipper - 20th Mar 2009 7:39pm
[Linked Image]

Assault charge dropped against Liverpool FC skipper Steven Gerrard

THE assault charge against Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard was dropped today.

The Huyton-born midfielder, 28, now faces just a charge of affray following a late night brawl at a Southport bar.
[Linked Image]
Gerrard arrived at the town's magistrates court earlier today where he was greeted by banks of photographers and camera crews.

Dressed in a charcoal grey suit the England vice-captain took his place at the back of court alongside six others for the short committal hearing.

The assault charges were also dropped against co-defendants John Doran and Ian Gerard Smith - leaving six of the seven facing only a charge of affray.

The case was sent to Liverpool Crown Court.

It is alleged the defendants were all involved in a brawl in the Lounge Inn, Bold Street, Southport, in the early hours of December 29.

Local businessman and dad-of-two Marcus McGee, 34, from Churchtown, required hospital treatment after suffering facial in the incident, during which it is alleged a bottle was thrown and several kicks and punches landed on the victim.

Gerrard had already indicated he would deny any charge against him.

the echo
Posted By: DavidB Re: charge dropped against Liverpool FC skipper - 20th Mar 2009 7:42pm
Dressed in a charcoal grey suit

... and a massive 'Footballer Knot' tie I bet. Feral tw*t.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral