Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 27th Nov 2008 10:42pm
BROOKSIDE Close is the latest victim of the credit crunch.

Once one of the most famous addresses in Britain, the close is to go under the hammer for as little as £550,000.

Developers initially hoped to fetch £2m for the West Derby semi-detached houses and bungalows, including the infamous number 10, where wife-beater Trevor Jordache found his last resting place under the patio.

But with the credit crunch crippling the housing market, auctioneers Allsop have listed the 1980s red brick properties with a guide price of between £550,000 and £600,000.

Former Brookie stars today called on the council to buy them up as affordable housing to help families trying to beat the crunch.

The council said it would hold talks with its registered landlords to seek a buyer.

Former Brookside star Ricky Tomlinson, who played Bobby Grant, said: “It doesn’t surprise me they’re going for that. They’ve been knocked about a bit and they were a place of work, after all.”

The cul-de-sac has lain empty since the Channel 4 soap ended in 2003 after 21 years.

Developers bought the properties in 2005. All 13 were refurbished and it was hoped they could go for as much as £300,000 each.

Posted By: Waddi Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:10am
Wiki Whip round
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:16am
Wiki Whip round

I got £3

Any advance ?
Posted By: Wench Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:24am
I have about £5 but it's all in slummy.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:25am
Im just checking down the back of the couch now.

73p and a boiled sweet
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:25am
I got a couple of grand to throw atm in but I want a bedroom in one of the houses at least!
Posted By: Wench Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:26am
Damn!! For a couple of grand you can have MY spare bedroom raftl
Posted By: Waddi Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:26am
you can have under the patio of number 10.....
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:28am
frown

I dont like spiders lol.

Id only invest as a long term investment. Plan is, buy the houses at the time of market crash, low value, spend 5 years oin em up, and sell for maybe 1 million+.

13 houses, when livable, even in todays market, could fetch £100,000+ each. And thats not taking into account the significance of them.

laugh
Posted By: Waddi Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:28am
is this close to any education establishment, Im thinking Student accomadation, posh, well off students would pay through the nose to live in brookside close whilst they are doing their studies away from home. we could even earn enough to pay ex brookie cast members to do appearances etc.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:32am
Originally Posted by WADDI
is this close to any education establishment, Im thinking Student accomadation, posh, well off students would pay through the nose to live in brookside close whilst they are doing their studies away from home. we could even earn enough to pay ex brookie cast members to do appearances etc.

Grand idea, do two houses a year, over a period of 7 years. Rent the 11 that arnt being done to students first year, then 9 the second year etc... Make em pay per bedroom, try and get the £500,000 or so back in rents over the period of 6 years and then sell em off in 2013 when the economy has recovered. After rents gained over the period of 5 years or so, even a crap sale should turn a healthy profit.

laugh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 28th Nov 2008 12:35am
Thinking about it logically, its a seriously good investment idea for a builder/developer, but would certainly have to be a long term investment, which is what would put most of them off.

I would'nt be surprised if it went for less than £400,000. I just wish I as more than a few grand to invest lol.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 3:14pm
Yeah, even I can see the value in those houses, if I had 300k, I'd snap them up! You'd make many times that in a few years.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 6:20pm
Come on guys - be honest - who is gonna be thinking 'Wow the chance to live in a house that got used in a soap opera that was dead popular in the 80s/90s but died a death because it went a bit sh*t!' Its like saying men will perm their hair and grow moustaches while swaggering in shell suits, and that it'll be dead good, yeah.

Next you'll be telling me people actually buy timeshares where they filmed Eldorado (actually come to think of it - that last part is probably very true).
Posted By: DavidB Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 6:57pm
Just thinking of the value of bricks and mortar, it's the only thing left with any residual value.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 8:09pm
WHat about the residue of Ricky Tomlinson and Sue Johnston? Have you no sense of cultural history?

Everone say 'Ar Damon'
Posted By: Wench Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 8:12pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Its like saying men will perm their hair and grow moustaches while swaggering in shell suits

Have you not been to Birkenvegas lately then?? This is already happening!! Our very own Dava sports this very look! raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:02pm
It does mention that they have been refurbished since 2005, which means they would'nt be in a terrible state anyway. This is going to make someone, somewhere, a LOT of money.

Lucky gits!!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:05pm
Originally Posted by PaganJay
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Its like saying men will perm their hair and grow moustaches while swaggering in shell suits

Have you not been to Birkenvegas lately then?? This is already happening!! Our very own Dava sports this very look! raftl

What goes around comes around (a bit like warts)
Posted By: Wench Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:06pm
And legwarmers raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:10pm
You had to bring them up. You've re-opened painful childhood memories. My mother knitted me a pair and they were so baggy I tripped over in them. I never got into ballet school as a result and instead got sent to a special school (Park High)*.

*This is all a gross manipulation of the truth.
Posted By: Wench Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:12pm
I'll buy you some for christmas - they're back in now raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:23pm
And then maybe I will get into Juilliard after all smile
Posted By: Wench Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:24pm
If not, there is always Spearmint Rhino raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 9:28pm
OK, so long as the pole is warmed first. My elderly thighs couldn't take it - not in this weather!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 10:05pm
keep on topic please ladys happy there is the chat room if you want too chat smile
Posted By: Wench Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 11:38pm
sorry Sorry Jase.

OT - I had a tour round the Brookside set many years ago after an incident at Birkenhead Market when the lad who played Barry Grant's younger brother (the one who's on one of those to buy or not to buy type shows) turned on the christmas lights and I was rather unceremoniously crushed by the hoards of screaming girls who were scrambling to get near him (he was a bit of a sex symbol back then).

He called the hospital to see if I was ok apparently, and I later got a card from him saying "get well soon" and inviting me to have a tour. I met all the cast and had my photo taken with Terry (I was in love with him raftl ) I still have that picture somewhere.

It was much smaller than I thought it would be.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 29th Nov 2008 11:54pm
Originally Posted by PaganJay
sorry Sorry Jase.

OT - I had a tour round the Brookside set many years ago after an incident at Birkenhead Market when the lad who played Barry Grant's younger brother (the one who's on one of those to buy or not to buy type shows) turned on the christmas lights and I was rather unceremoniously crushed by the hoards of screaming girls who were scrambling to get near him (he was a bit of a sex symbol back then).

He called the hospital to see if I was ok apparently, and I later got a card from him saying "get well soon" and inviting me to have a tour. I met all the cast and had my photo taken with Terry (I was in love with him raftl ) I still have that picture somewhere.
It was much smaller than I thought it would be.

Terry the stereotypical scouser? crikey o'riley, this should be a lovely pic for you:

Attached picture scouse.jpg
Posted By: DavidB Re: Brookside Close for sale at £600,000 - 1st Dec 2008 1:38am
[Linked Image]

Jesus, how could this look ever be in fashion?!

I remember watching Brookside when it first came on. I think I was about 6 or something.
The last episodes were awful, really bad TV.
Posted By: Anonymous Jimmy Corkhill actor: I'll buy Brookside - 11th Dec 2008 5:54pm
FORMER Brookside actor Dean Sullivan wants to buy the famous set where he made his name.

The 53-year-old today told of his plans to raise around £600,000 for the available houses.

The actor who played bad boy Jimmy Corkhill said he might transform the 13-house close into a tourist attraction.

Because of the credit crunch the asking price for Brookside Close in West Derby has fallen from £2.4m to £600,000.

Sullivan plans to send a representative to an auction this month to bid for it.

The City Talk DJ, who first spoke of his proposal live on air, declined to say how much he was prepared to pay.

But he outlined his vision to revamp the neglected set during a meeting with his bank manager.

Sullivan said: “In the present climate anyone who buys a self-contained cul-de-sac like Brookside at any price will get a bargain.

“It could be turned into a tourist spot. During my time with the soap there were always crowds of people turning up.

“It’s been neglected over the years, but a lot of the damage is superficial.

“There is still an enormous amount of interest in Brookside – it would be a tragedy to knock it down.”
Posted By: DavidB Re: Jimmy Corkhill actor: I'll buy Brookside - 11th Dec 2008 6:01pm
I'd have some things for him:

a) It will sell for more than 600k!
b) Who would consider a soap opera that finished 5 years ago a 'tourist attraction'
c) Who is going to give you the money?
d) "There is still an enormous amount of interest in Brookside" - no there isn't, you're living in a dream world,
and, e) You're an idiot.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimmy Corkhill actor: I'll buy Brookside - 11th Dec 2008 10:31pm
All good points, except for e, Jimmy Corkhill is a legend grin
Posted By: stumpy Re: Jimmy Corkhill actor: I'll buy Brookside - 12th Dec 2008 7:33pm
cracker the dog was the real star of brookside
i think you will find that title belongs to Barry Grant!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Jimmy Corkhill actor: I'll buy Brookside - 13th Dec 2008 12:47pm
I went to some girl's party once and Jimmy Corkhill was there. Her mum did some job in TV or something. He'd just split up with his boyfriend and looked high as he was zonked out in the corner of the room.
My mate was doing impressions of him going 'Come on Cracker'. haha
Posted By: Anonymous Brookside Close sells for bargain £735,000 - 17th Dec 2008 3:53pm
One of the most famous TV streets in Britain, Brookside Close, sold today for the knockdown price of £735,000 - a third of the original asking price.

Overgrown and in need of refurbishment, the 13 red-brick houses in Croxteth were sold to an unnamed Liverpool-based buyer as a single lot to an on a long lease.

The Close has been empty since 2003, when the Channel 4 soap ended its 21 year run.

The houses were bought in 2005 by unnamed developers, who refurbished all of them. But after the developers were placed in receivership they were forced to accept the low bid.
Brookside Close was originally bought by Mersey Television in 1982 as part of a scheme to cover the costs of the show and to provide a more realistic set than some of their rival soaps.
Six of the houses were on-screen as sets and the remaining seven were used to house the administration, post-production, canteen, make-up and technical facilities for cast and crew.

The bargain price tag included all the infamous homes on 'The Close,' from the plush suburb of West Derby.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral