Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 5:08pm
DOGS could be banned from some of Wirral’s most popular beaches.

Owners may be barred from taking their pets on to the beach during the summer months, possibly from May to September, under new council plans.

Concerns about dog fouling, Wirral’s reputation as a tourist destination and the state of the coastline are behind the move.

A new report, which will be considered by a Wirral Council committee later this month, said officials would have to prove it was a proportionate way of dealing with problems caused by dogs.

New Brighton councillor Sue Taylor said: “Dog fouling is a nightmare all along the promenade - half of my correspondence is about this.

“In theory, I would support the dog bans on beaches but really I don’t know how it would be enforced; the cost involved would be huge.

“There are three dog wardens on Wirral at the moment yet there is still the problem of dog fouling. I think educating people to pick up after their dogs should be the focus rather than imposing a dog ban.”

The move would cover Wirral’s main bathing beaches in West Kirby, New Brighton’s Harrison Drive and Moreton.

Recreational beaches in Thurstaston, Caldy, Red Rocks, Hilbre, Hoylake, Meols, Leasowe and Egremont would also be affected.

In the 1990s, a ban was tried out in West Kirby, but enforcement difficulties and lack of interest saw it abandoned after two years.

Councillors will discuss the proposal on Thursday, September 25.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 5:11pm
erm...

Past few years, I dont think Ive ever seen people "Bathing" on Wirrals beaches anyway, except for West Kirby, and weve called that Shit Beach as it is.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 5:23pm
what an absolute joke, if it comes intoplay then I'm going down new brighton and having a turd on the beach.
Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 5:57pm
It's the minority that spoil it for the majority once again! I always have poo bags with me and use them. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a dog owner just walk off after their dog has pooped. I usually go after them waving a poo bag shouting "coooooeeeeeeeeeeeee do you need a bag for that". Sometimes they are grateful, but the majority give you a mouthful of abuse!!

I'd gladly issue fines free of charge if it meant I could still take Tarot on the beach raftl and none of this "up to £1000" - make it £1000 on the nose!!

Makes me bloody mad somad
I am quite lucky there as dog poo makes me feel ill and my dog wont poo anywhere other than our garden so the wife cleans it!!!!
Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 6:09pm
Originally Posted by Sir_longmong
I am quite lucky there as dog poo makes me feel ill and my dog wont poo anywhere other than our garden so the wife cleans it!!!!

raftl raftl raftl
I agree PaganJay - another case of the minority spoiling it for the majority.
They've had this law down in Devon for many years now. I'm not sure how it is managed. Admittedly the beaches down there do get far more people on them than here but the principle is still the same - there are those that expect others to clear up after their dogs! Most people respect the fact that they can't walk their dogs on the beach during these times (horses are also banned incidently), the few that do ignore are probably the ones that caused the ban to be brought in in the first place.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 6:15pm
Originally Posted by PaganJay
It's the minority that spoil it for the majority

withthat

I don't think a ban would be effective and be a waste of money.

Spend it on more bins instead
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 6:19pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
It's the minority that spoil it for the majority

withthat

I don't think a ban would be effective and be a waste of money.

Spend it on more bins instead

withthat
Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 6:27pm
A ban wouldn't work as there is nobody to enforce it. For every one person they caught, probably 10 would get away with it.

Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 6:33pm
Is this the future of dog ownership???

Attached picture Pet_Nappy.jpg
Attached picture the future lol.jpg
that would make my akita look stupid. the beach gets flushed naturally twice a day, dont see the problem
i never take him on beach cos sand a pain anyway, i always let him crap under the kids swings and on the band stand, much better
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 7:37pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
what an absolute joke, if it comes intoplay then I'm going down new brighton and having a turd on the beach.
right behind you bud spreading the shite too. What a joke, just because a few selfish people dont pick up their own dog shit other will suffer lol. joke.

Should they ban all boats from the ocean too, they do far more damage to our beaches with the oil they loose.

Who ever is running this town/place/contry needs to get a grip and f##k off
we could have a sponsored crap-a-thon on the town hall steps
I'd say the nappy would work - until your dog has one of those really runny poos - it would just shoot out the 'tail hole'
thats a vision that might keep me awake
I once knew someone who had a mad red setter - would eat anything - once ate a piece of rope - they had to stand on it while it was passed.

OK - that should keep you awake.

Sorry everyone - I shall lower the tome no further.
i like a girl who keeps me awake lol
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 8:39pm
Originally Posted by jason24v6
“There are three dog wardens on Wirral at the moment yet there is still the problem of dog fouling. I think educating people to pick up after their dogs should be the focus rather than imposing a dog ban.”

I think thats the solution, after seeing the pic posted earlier this year / last year of West Kirby after a decent day - I think people leave more shit than dogs... think
3 wardens? that's ridiculous! so how the hell will they ever catch people's dogs fouling so they can fine them??? surely if they started catching up with ppl that would pay for extra staff?
i live on sh*t street - and if you live near claughton village you'll know precisely which road i mean. despite the fact that kids walk up and down it for school ppl still insist on letting their dogs foul all over the place. i have seen seen dog crap in an open nappy bag dropped outside the school gates - i could strangle the person that let that happen!!!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 10th Sep 2008 11:59pm
Theres a lack of bins - more bins = less rubbish & less dog shit

I'm sure dog owners would be more than willing to pick up the shit if they could put it straight in the bin rather than keeping it warm in their coat pocket for half an hour til they come accross a bin??

Originally Posted by MissGuided
i live on sh*t street - and if you live near claughton village you'll know precisely which road i mean.

I do but I have no idea where you mean??
Posted By: Mark Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 11th Sep 2008 7:09am
Wouldn't any crap be washed away every 12hr cycle ( Tides ).

As its been said the selfish spoiling it for the few.
You can tell by looking at the person walking the dog if they will pick up their dogs poo or not. I have a neighbour who's dog always poo's on my front doorstep right outside my gate, they never clean it up, so I have to. My dog will only poo in our yard, very rarely poos when out, but I always have a bag in my pocket.I think it would not benefit anyone to ban dogs from the beach, humans tend to make more rubbish anyway!!! On the beach just today and my dog and I saw, empty beer cans and bottles, crisp and sweet wrappers,dead fish,carrier bags (some proberly contained dog poo),mouldy butties,old bikes,car tyres,other empty cans and pop bottles and used hypo needles.
i always pick up my dogs poo, why dont i get washed away?
Originally Posted by angelina
You can tell by looking at the person walking the dog if they will pick up their dogs poo or not. I have a neighbour who's dog always poo's on my front doorstep right outside my gate, they never clean it up, so I have to. My dog will only poo in our yard, very rarely poos when out, but I always have a bag in my pocket.I think it would not benefit anyone to ban dogs from the beach, humans tend to make more rubbish anyway!!! On the beach just today and my dog and I saw, empty beer cans and bottles, crisp and sweet wrappers,dead fish,carrier bags (some proberly contained dog poo),mouldy butties,old bikes,car tyres,other empty cans and pop bottles and used hypo needles.

Try bleaching your step and then put down paprika, black pepper or chilli powder. The bleach will take away the scent of previous dog fouling (wee or poo). The strong smell from spices will put the dog off sniffing in that area (ok so maybe chilli powder is a bit harsh). It may take a few goes to condition the dog but hopefully it will remember unpleasant sensation in nose when it sniffs (because they always have a sniff just before they foul)

MissG,
Resident Dog Psychologist
Think there will be outrage if this comes into effect!.

How do we know which is human and which is a dog shigo on the beach????.

Am sure a good few plops must get left behind when our lovely brown water goes out?.
Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 15th Sep 2008 10:16am
Originally Posted by Mark
Wouldn't any crap be washed away every 12hr cycle ( Tides )

That is no doubt the case, however, it is most certainly not the point. Sorry Mark sorry There are enough pollutants going into our water system and the water sytem globally without adding to it with canine excreta just because it is easier for some people to leave it than clean it up. Not only is it bad for us locally, but it has a knock on effect on the aquatic life which in turn works it's way up the food chain - which means you could very well end up eating a small part of the dog poop inadvertantly!

Think about that the next time you think of leaving your dogs excreta people thumbsup
Posted By: Colgo Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 15th Sep 2008 10:39am
You can tell by looking at the person walking the dog if they will pick up their dogs poo or not. I have a neighbour who's dog always poo's on my front doorstep right outside my gate, they never clean it up, so I have to.

I had the same problem, I collected the offending mess in a plastic bag, followed them home and popped it through their letterbox minus the bag. Never happened again thumbsup
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 15th Sep 2008 1:22pm
Originally Posted by Colgo
You can tell by looking at the person walking the dog if they will pick up their dogs poo or not. I have a neighbour who's dog always poo's on my front doorstep right outside my gate, they never clean it up, so I have to.

I had the same problem, I collected the offending mess in a plastic bag, followed them home and popped it through their letterbox minus the bag. Never happened again thumbsup

Rather shrude, but I like it smile
i always pick up my dogs mess because it annoys me to step outside and find someone aint, i would stand on their head and make them eat it
Trouble is, you say that we shouldn't let the tide deal with it...is it any more 'eco-friendly' to place it in a bag that will not degrade for about 50 years in a landfill?
How about one of these:

Dog Loo
cant carry that while walking the beast. if he craps on the beach that will hold kids sand-castles together
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

no

you bury that thing in your garden, then when you get poop you bring it home and throw it in et voila!
it goes quite well with spaghetti
offtopic

At least I'm being silly but staying on topic snob
never mind. me just mad. you should be really silly and come out for a drink or ten
now there's an offer

i'm washing my hair...
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 15th Sep 2008 3:48pm
offtopic

At least I'm being silly but staying on topic snob

Yeah, save it for the Chat Up Line thread raftl

....is that the first time you have been "chatted up" Missguided wink
No, I was just kidding - toying with the clown...
Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 16th Sep 2008 8:20am

Is that a new game?? Sounds like it could be fun. They could make it an olympic sport perhaps raftl Sorry Craig offtopic

Is that a new game?? Sounds like it could be fun. They could make it an olympic sport perhaps raftl Sorry Craig offtopic

It kinda makes the clown sound like a new kind of dog toy which can be thrown about like a ragdoll by a threatening looking dog. PS I am not the threatening looking dog omg
Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 16th Sep 2008 9:47am
It would need to be a rather big dog as he's a rather big chap. Not sure if he's as long as the longmong though think
How long is a longmong - is there an SI unit?

What was the topic again? offtopic
Posted By: Wench Re: Dogs could be banned from Wirral beaches,,,, - 16th Sep 2008 10:38am
Not sure if there is an SI Unit for longmongs - would have to google it. I suppose it would depend on whether the said longmong was lying down or standing up and whether it was early morning when the said longmong had just awoke or evening when he had been active all day - compression of the vertebrae and all that
© Wirral-Wikiwirral