Forums
Posted By: chriskay How's this for a plan? - 13th Aug 2008 8:36am
Quote.
Press Assoc. - Wednesday, August 13 01:02 am

Northern cities such as Liverpool are beyond revival and millions of their residents should move to London and the South East instead, a think tank has said.

Policy Exchange said a mass internal migration was the only answer to a decade of failed efforts to concentrate regeneration cash on other parts of the country.

Its conclusions, the authors conceded, might be viewed as "barmy". They said coastal cities such as Liverpool and Sunderland had "lost much of their raison d'etre" with the decline of shipping and had "little prospect of offering their residents the standard of living to which they aspire".
End Quote.

I love the idea of a million scousers descending on London. Time the softy Southeners were given a taste of reality.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: How's this for a plan? - 13th Aug 2008 11:19am
I heard that on the radio early this morning. Nearly choked on my soggy Weetabix !!!

How much did "Policy Exchange" get paid for dreaming up THAT little gem ??
Posted By: Shambo Re: How's this for a plan? - 13th Aug 2008 12:12pm
Here's a fuller link to this story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7556937.stm

Quote: "The authors concluded that coastal cities like Liverpool and Sunderland had "lost much of their raison d'etre" with the decline of shipping and had "little prospect of offering their residents the standard of living to which they aspire".

It was time to be "realistic about the ability of cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle to regenerate struggling nearby towns.

"No-one is suggesting that residents should be forced to move, but we do argue that they should be told the reality of the position: regeneration, in the sense of convergence, will not happen, because it is not possible," it concluded.

The authors included Tim Leunig, a lecturer in economic history at the London School of Economics, who said: "No doubt some people will claim that these proposals are unworkable, unreasonable and perhaps plain barmy.

"But the issue is clear: current regeneration policies are failing the very people they are supposed to be helping and there is no evidence that the trend will be reversed without radical changes."

He said internal migration had always been an important part of a dynamic economy and people had to be allowed to move to places offering more opportunities. "
Posted By: MGCraig Re: How's this for a plan? - 13th Aug 2008 10:32pm
hmmmm, so theyve clearly ignored all the regeneration thats taking place in Liverpool as we speak, and the fact that Cammel Lairds will remain open for at least another 30 years..
Posted By: hoseman Re: How's this for a plan? - 14th Aug 2008 4:38pm
Hmmmm....! `Government Think Tank`, sorry but would rather listen to a fish tank!! doh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: How's this for a plan? - 14th Aug 2008 5:40pm
withthat

Originally Posted by
The think tank is seen as being close to David Cameron but the Tory leader branded its findings "insane".

MY ARSE!

bunch of f'king idiots

[Linked Image]

Next, they'll be blaming a lack of fatherhood figures for child delinquency, crime and poverty...

Oh wait...They already do withstupid
Posted By: dave_g Re: How's this for a plan? - 14th Aug 2008 10:29pm
is that a pic of joe when he hits 40?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: How's this for a plan? - 15th Aug 2008 4:38pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Quote.

I love the idea of a million scousers descending on London. Time the softy Southeners were given a taste of reality.

Good job I got up here first then! yipee
Posted By: Wench Re: How's this for a plan? - 16th Aug 2008 8:41am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Originally Posted by chriskay
Quote.

Good job I got up here first then! yipee

I did it years ago, married a southerner (a chelsea fan) but thankfully I've now seen sense and come home - without the husband bananadance I wouldn't move back down south if you offered me a million pound salary!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How's this for a plan? - 16th Aug 2008 5:13pm
i would for a million pound grin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral