Forums
Posted By: paper_boy Rail death - 22nd Jan 2008 12:58pm
Did anyone hear about a guy getting killed at a crossing near Hoylake station yesterday? Wondered did anyone have any details about it, he's the second person to be killed trying to cross the line in 6 months.

Donh't have a name for him and got to write somethin!
Posted By: chiccy Re: Rail death - 22nd Jan 2008 1:55pm
never heard anything?
Posted By: chiccy Re: Rail death - 22nd Jan 2008 1:57pm
ive just found this

A MAN has died after being hit by a train on a notorious stretch of track.

The elderly man, who is yet to be identified, has become the second person to die at a pedestrian point on the railway near Hoylake, Wirral, in the past six months.

He was struck by the West Kirby service yesterday at 2.42pm between Hoylake and Manor Road stations at a user- operated crossing at the foot of Melrose Avenue.

These are protected by five-barred gates and equipped with a telephones so pedestrians can check it is safe to cross.

Down the line from Melrose Avenue is a second crossing at Sandringham Avenue, between Manor Road and Meols station, where in July 2007, Hoylake resident Jean Wilson was killed alongside her dog Poppy.

The crossings are used regularly by those wanting to access allotments and nearby fields for walking dogs.

At the Melrose Avenue scene of yesterday’s death, the track begins a gentle swing to the right, which continues all the way to the Sandringham Avenue crossing where Mrs Wilson was struck.

Both deaths took place in broad daylight, but Network Rail insist that there is good visibility on both sides of the Sandringham Avenue site.

The coroner’s inquest into the death of Mrs Wilson is expected this month.

Residents say pedestrians rarely use the phone and prefer to look down the tracks.

After yesterday’s incident the line remained closed for half-an-hour.

A spokesman for Network Rail said: “The incident occurred at 2.42pm between Hoylake and Manor Road stations at a user- operated crossing, where an elderly gentleman was hit by the West Kirby service.

“It is currently being investigated by British Transport Police and is being treated as non-suspicious.

“The next step is a coroner's inquest to establish the exact nature of the death.”

British Transport Police confirmed they had attended the scene and were trying to identify the man and locate his next of kin.
from yesterdays liverpool echo .....
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Rail death - 22nd Jan 2008 3:36pm
Both instances were elderly people.....see the link??
Posted By: paper_boy Re: Rail death - 22nd Jan 2008 4:55pm
Aye - they seem to be having trouble - there's a bit of a bend on the track which is no good if you're not good on your pins. Cheers chaps.
Posted By: krisGTi Re: Rail death - 23rd Jan 2008 6:46pm
it was suicide an the fella who it was use 2 go in me mums cafe every day. his name was clive. i had met him loads of times an he seemed 2 be a nice bloke.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Rail death - 23rd Jan 2008 6:48pm
wow cheers for posting that Kris! Amazing how small a world it is...

frown
Posted By: krisGTi Re: Rail death - 23rd Jan 2008 6:51pm
me mum was dead shocked when she found out.

apparently he was down in life an then comited suicide
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Rail death - 23rd Jan 2008 7:11pm
Weird, how old was he dya know?

smile
Posted By: chiccy Re: Rail death - 23rd Jan 2008 7:43pm
Originally Posted by krisGTi
me mum was dead shocked when she found out.

apparently he was down in life an then comited suicide
frown
Posted By: paper_boy Re: Rail death - 24th Jan 2008 8:51am
Thanks kris, I tracked it down in the end, name was Clive Hanlon, lived not far from Melrose Ave where the crossing was. does that mean your mum's cafe is Cabin Snacks then? Everyone who knew him said he was a regular for a bacon sarnie, he drank a lot in the Lake pub. Cheers for the info!
Posted By: paper_boy Re: Rail death - 24th Jan 2008 8:52am
He was 52 btw. Transport police say an accident but not suspicious but as Kris said he'd been down.
Posted By: krisGTi Re: Rail death - 24th Jan 2008 5:22pm
yeh me mum works in the cabin snacks mate
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Rail death - 28th Jan 2008 6:39pm
full storyclicky
© Wirral-Wikiwirral