Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Woman killed by train in west kirby - 31st Jul 2007 11:37pm
Here

How sad, something should be done to prevent this from happening.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 31st Jul 2007 11:46pm
There aint much that can be done to be honest matey, there are plenty of clear warning signs by the crossing as well as instructions on how to use it and what to look out for, and as mentioned there is a telphone which people can use to find out if there is a train nearby.

There is no record of a call, so in this case, the woman did not take all precautions possible. To be honest though, unless ya pretty stupid, ya gonna see a train coming and run, im not speculating as its not my place to, but I wouldnt be surprised if either she was wearing headphones, being very un-observant, or its a case of something a bit deeper then a bad accident (ie. suicide).

Very sad though nevertheless frown
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 1st Aug 2007 8:05pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
im not speculating as its not my place to, but I wouldnt be surprised if either she was wearing headphones

haven't seen many elderly women walking around with an mp3 player on i must say!! LOL
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 1st Aug 2007 10:28pm
lol good point! grin
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 2nd Aug 2007 2:08pm
Unfortunate as it is, Im finding it hard to understand how it happened think

Surely crossing a rail track must be easier than crossing a road??

Its a local line, so the trains arent going too fast.
They make more noise than cars.
The lines are gernerally straighter than roads meaning you can see further.
The trains run with their headlights on.
Theres less distance to cross tracks than to cross a major road.

Posted By: Pomp Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 2nd Aug 2007 2:10pm
Maybe her dog ran onto the track while the train was coming so she went to save her an cudnt make it away in time?
Posted By: Waddi Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 2nd Aug 2007 2:55pm
Maybe the batteries had gone in her hearing aid and She was only taking the dog for a quick walk, so she left her glasses on the kitchen table, then her shopping trolley got a wheel stuck in the tracks, and whilst trying to free it, a train was coming close fast and she couldnt hear or see it.

just a theory.....
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 2nd Aug 2007 5:13pm
Originally Posted by Waddi
Maybe the batteries had gone in her hearing aid and She was only taking the dog for a quick walk, so she left her glasses on the kitchen table, then her shopping trolley got a wheel stuck in the tracks, and whilst trying to free it, a train was coming close fast and she couldnt hear or see it.

just a theory.....

Wtf?
Lol, Cracker!
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 2nd Aug 2007 5:27pm
lol... that's one theory...

however to stuymac, usually when the trains are empty they are running pretty fast due to not having to stop at each stop tease
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 3rd Aug 2007 8:00am
I thought they had a speed limit of around 40mph on that line - maybe even slower as they pass crossings / stations... think
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 3rd Aug 2007 4:33pm
ah right, i am probly thinking of the liverpool - chester line (used to get empty trains flying through at like 70mph+ lol)

just assumed it would be same for the other lines, i guess not tease
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 3rd Aug 2007 5:07pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
ah right, i am probly thinking of the liverpool - chester line (used to get empty trains flying through at like 70mph+ lol)

just assumed it would be same for the other lines, i guess not tease

I think you're right there, as I've been at Spital station when a train has gone past doing at least 60mph+
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 3rd Aug 2007 5:10pm
40mph can be deceptive, unless you have used a speed gun to find out what speed they are going, as the train is right next to the platform, it can seem a lot faster then it actually is.

People always over-estimate speeds natuarally anyway, people always think cars are doing like 50 and 60mph at crossings etc when in reality they are not even at 45mph.
Posted By: Mark Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 3rd Aug 2007 9:10pm
What could have happened like nearly happened to me as a "Child"

Crossed a manual crossing soon as a train went passed,
which actually blocked out the sound of a train coming
in the other direction, and because i was being clever
to cross as soon as the first trains arse passed i didn't
even see the second one.

Luckily i was young enough to make it across the other side,
and the back draft almost pull me back into the track.

Point i'm making is one train can block the sound out from another one wink

i then went and changed my shorts
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 3rd Aug 2007 9:15pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
40mph can be deceptive, unless you have used a speed gun to find out what speed they are going, as the train is right next to the platform, it can seem a lot faster then it actually is.

People always over-estimate speeds natuarally anyway, people always think cars are doing like 50 and 60mph at crossings etc when in reality they are not even at 45mph.

well at both port sunlight and bebington there is a long straight and u can see the speed the trains are approaching and how fast they go into the distance... yea, i agree, perception plays a big part, guess work will never be close to a speed gun in accuracy. also, i guess with train tracks being slightly narrower than main roads it could effect the perception.

anyway yea, without a speed gun ya pretty fcuked as to whether u can estimate the speed accurately. too many factors, but they still fly lol
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Woman killed by train in west kirby - 3rd Aug 2007 9:17pm
oh and the people guessings cars are doing faster than them are usually basing it on their own speed and mentally working out how much quicker they r doin tease blah i'm slashed i'll shut up now
© Wirral-Wikiwirral