Forums
Posted By: red20 miss firing - 19th Feb 2006 11:27pm
was driving home before an my car cut out then it wudnt start but after a few goes it started but its now missfiring any help
Posted By: Dazza Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 12:48am
Need more info really. Where you 'hammering' it? when it cut out and you tried to start it, would it crank but just not start?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 8:49am
If its down to 3, take the leads off in turn and use a spare spark plug to check if your missing a spark on a pot.

Check plugs to see if missing pot has a wet plug to check for fuel.

Could also be a cracked valve, timing belt jumped a tooth.... confused
Posted By: red20 Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 8:50am
wud turn over but not start wasnt going madd when driving it
Posted By: red20 Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 8:51am
it is firing on 3
Posted By: StuyMac Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 9:53am
Guess the first place to start is check the plugs and leads to find out which cylinder is missing.

Remove each HT lead in turn to see which one makes no difference (removing 3 out of the 4 should drop the car to 2 cylinders)

When you have found the problem cylinder, put a spare spark plug in the HT lead, rest it on the engine and check for spark.
Posted By: DavidB Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 11:29am
Was this after doing 60 down the road towards Halfords? wink

Are the leads Biru, or aftermarket? if you find it's the leads, the cable actually screws into the plug on the end, it may have just come loose.
Posted By: Scooby Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 12:03pm
Forget leads etc, that would only cause a mis-fire.

The engine totally cut out therefore we are looking at a fueling problem probably.

Its very difficult to diagnose due to the engine is running once again.

What you need to do is when it cuts out again then check if there is fuel and a sperk, that way you can diagnose the cause of the problem.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 12:31pm
Good point Scoob....

Fuel pump?

Maybe if it happens again, check to see if you can hear the fuel pump buzz up with the ignition.
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 1:45pm
COMMON VAUXHALL FAULT. check you fuel pump relay, it it jammed open your pump wouldnt work thus no start, when it frees its self your engine will start up again fine. mine has done this a few times now.. Then again i could be totally wrong and you could have a loose connection on your fuel pump.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 6:16pm
remove one lead of no 1 cylinder run it if it sound s worse reconect it as that cylinder is obviously firing, then repeat for all the cylinder untill you find one that doesnt make a difference to the engine note and that is the cylinder that the problem lies, then check plug and lead on, if that doesnt work the chances are its something mechanical. hope this helps.
Posted By: Scooby Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 6:27pm
Its not a misfire, the engine cut out totally and wouldnt start.
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: miss firing - 20th Feb 2006 6:38pm
is it a faulty lead coming from the coil to the distributor maybe(if it has 1). Poor earth???
Posted By: scoop Re: miss firing - 25th Feb 2006 11:50am
check ur injector plugs?
Posted By: red20 Re: miss firing - 1st Mar 2006 7:08pm
its was my leads an plugs they where cheapo 1s i got when i done the engine its sorted now
Posted By: DavidB Re: miss firing - 4th Mar 2006 2:17pm
[smugmode]Ah, I thought so.[/smugmode] laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral