Forums
Posted By: Cali_16v calibra wont start - 26th Apr 2005 11:35pm
Ok so went to start her up today, starter motor turns over but nothing else fires. this is the same problem it went in for the last time and i was told it was fixed by "tricks of the trade" im so annoyed now. i just want a car that works. im not bothered about modding it now just want it to work, can anyone help and tell me whats wrong.
Posted By: Dazza Re: calibra wont start - 27th Apr 2005 12:06am
Possible fuel problem - Maybe the fuelpump or its relay. Get kirby to crank the engine and stick your ear need the fueltank (backseat) and listen for a clicking noise.

Also try taking a HT lead off and as you crank see if it sparks (all leads - But becareful you dont want to get shocky, just leave it faceing something metal)
Posted By: Mark Re: calibra wont start - 27th Apr 2005 12:01pm
Just wondering if the pervious owner had these troubles too?

Check the sponsor forum Click Me

As you might have to have it on the Diagnostic's Machine?

There's a bug in there somewhere, and its sounding more and more electrical,
everytime somthing goes wrong?

Hope you get it sorted sooner than later buddy.
Posted By: scoop Re: calibra wont start - 27th Apr 2005 1:20pm
The trix of the trade last time cudda be gapping the plugs. Maybe theyve really packed up now mate, look at ur plugs and try changin em. Then check the leads as dazza said. If its neither of them it more than likely will be fuel not gettin there. Hope its cheaply and rapidly cured mate.Theres nothin worse than a mechanicaly unreliable car
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: calibra wont start - 27th Apr 2005 1:40pm
It started great this morning. i have a feeling its the fuel pump relay. lots of other calibra owners have this problem so i have heard and its not just the 16v the turbo 8v also suffer and no-one knows the problem. but i will try HT leads and fuel pump relay failing i will change the fuel pump itself. scoop the plugs are brand new NGK ones so i know it aint them. thanks for the replys
Posted By: DavidB Re: calibra wont start - 30th Apr 2005 8:47pm
I've had this problem, and I've got the same engine as you.
Last time, it was the Fuel Pump Relay. Easy, just get one from the scrappy (I got mine from Dixons on Cleveland Street, they charged me a pound) or from Vauxhall (14 quid).

The next thing it could be the ignition coil. It's hard to check, because the coil is indirectly linked to the FPR, which is linked to the immobiliser. If you put a ammetre to the points, the coil flicks left and right as you turn her over (so if you put the ammetre probe on one of the coil points, it would go on-off-on-off), if only one works, it's the coil...

However, it could be down to the Coil Amp, which is under the coil (It's a 1 inch black thing that costs 140 quid new !!!). If your car starts in the morning, and doesn't when it's warm, this'll be the culprit, as a faulty one fails to operate when warmed up with a bit of voltage. wink

Fun!
Posted By: DavidB Re: calibra wont start - 30th Apr 2005 10:04pm
Oh, if it happens again, just give the FPR (located behind the panel in the driver's footwell) a tap with a screwdriver. That should coax it into starting.
Posted By: dikky5 Re: calibra wont start - 1st May 2005 11:28am
i think your car could be tired. try giving it a hotwater bottle and a lemisip and im sure after a few hours she will perk up.

if this fails buy something else??????
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: calibra wont start - 1st May 2005 4:46pm
cheers guys. stationmiek you know your stuff. how good are ya at electrics LOL.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral